• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Like I said earlier, I still think Hyperia could end up providing more airtime some than people expect. It’s allegedly going to be the coaster with the most airtime in the UK, if that’s anything to go by.

I reckon that at very least, the first drop, the Immelmann, and the final airtime hill could give very strong moments of straight airtime, and I think that the outerbank, the roll out of it, the dive loop and the final outerbank could offer very strong negative g-forces through either inverted airtime or hangtime.

Pretty much every element looks to me as though it’s designed to provide decent negative g’s of some description, so while it’s not the long straight airtime machine that some (myself quite possibly included) may have preferred, I reckon we could still be in for quite an airtime-filled treat of a ride!

think it's insane that people are still under the impression this thing won't have any airtime - the drop? the exit off the immelman? the turnaround? the wave turn? the final hill? hyperia is gonna have ejector like crazy, most likely stronger than anything else in the UK - airtime is not only delivered in the form of a parabolic B&M floater hill

think it's insane that people are still under the impression this thing won't have any airtime - the drop? the exit off the immelman? the turnaround? the wave turn? the final hill? hyperia is gonna have ejector like crazy, most likely stronger than anything else in the UK - airtime is not only delivered in the form of a parabolic B&M floater hill

No one has said that, they have said it’s short and could have had far more.

It’s also worth noting that as @Rob said, a second test won’t be much different from the first test.

While the lift hill ran at full speed, I still think there could be a lot of friction from the new wheel bearings at the moment that won’t be there when the ride has worn in a bit, so there could still be a fair little bit of speed to be gained through some of those elements.

Look at the early test runs of Nemesis earlier this year; it was crawling through some of the turnarounds and looked like it was nearly going to stall through the loop in some of the very first tests. Those testing clips on BBC News made Nemesis look really slow in sections. It certainly doesn’t crawl through the turnarounds or almost stall through the loop now!

No one has said that, they have said it’s short and could have had far more.
After watching the testing, i don't know if they could have added much more as it looks like it looses most of its energy by the end, obviously it will be running faster come opening and retain more energy but the limiting factor on rollercoaster designs to be able to not stall on days like test days where the train is slower, they probably could have added some fast paced turns, or some low to the ground stuff but I think it would not fit in with the rest of the lay out as it is a very ejector filled ride so high speed some what forceful turns would to me feel out of place.

Edit, I was not aware of the splash down trims.

Last edited:
It drops from over 200 feet, it could have been about double the length and be filled with airtime had they wanted/had the money.
I don't know, the over bank looks slow, and the last overbank looks pretty slow, to me it looks like near the end it has lost quite a bit of its energy.

edit: it will speed up in the comming weeks, but it should be designed to be able to make the layout in this state, or other times like with no passengers.

Last edited:
That's simply a case of the height of those inversions. I am not sure it will suddenly fly through the slow bits. The first transition (I can't keep up with what we are calling an inversion on this) looked pretty fast on the first run, if the whole ride speeds up massively I'm not sure that'd be desirable for the first element unless it transitions into an airtime moment itself.

Main thing is you have a trim towards the end of the ride, without that you could have added quite a bit more track for another million quid. This has basically been designed to a budget, but with the UK's tallest/fastest a requirement of said budget’s pitch.

Last edited:
I don't know, the over bank looks slow, and the 3rd inversion looks pretty slow, to me it looks like near the end it has lost quite a bit of its energy.

edit: it will speed up in the comming weeks, but it should be designed to be able to make the layout in this state, or other times like with no passengers.
Can't see it making that third element with no load in the train

Amazing that no matter how much it is discussed before a coaster first tests, no how matter how many jokes are made, no matter how much it is explained that initial testing is much slower, we still always get the ‘looks slow’ posts!

I think it’s looking brilliant, a little short, yes, but we all know that.
Still not sold on the name/theme/colour but the coaster looks fantastic.

Main thing is you have a trim towards the end of the ride, without that you could have added quite a bit more track for another million quid. This has basically been designed to a budget, but with the UK's tallest/fastest a requirement of the budget pitch.
I thought they didn't install them?