• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

hadn’t been paying much attention to the construction videos so I didn’t realise until seeing this how the train banks on the curve after coming out the station before the lift hill. This looks to be a great way to start the ride.

I don't get that at all tbh but will reserve judgement. Guess it's somewhat like Ride To Happiness.

I think that first corner has two purposes:
1. As a sort of warm-up for the element later on in the ride that also banks outwards, but at nearly 200ft!
2. And maybe more importantly as a statement to people in the queue. I get the feeling that this ride was designed around the fact that the UK public still see rides without OTSR as unsafe. Doesn't matter this isn't even the first Mack thrill coaster in the UK, or that it's actually a more secure method of holding you in (imagine how painful this ride would be with OTSR), people still see them as unsafe.
This rides theme is all about overcoming fear, and like the "Don't Look Down" audio that used to play on Oblivion this is a way to ramp the fear up so people know what they are about to experience.

Pre lift elements came long before RMC. B&M did a few (the floorless with an inline out of the station who’s name I forget).

RMC definitely like them a lot but it’s not really their innovation.
Yeah but RMC made it more of a 'thing' and do it on every ride. Especially with tilted track.

They definitely pushed boundaries with other elements and other manufacturers have followed their lead. Outer-banked airtime, sideways airtime, wave turns, stalls etc.

Not sure Mack would have built Hyperia's outward airtime barrell roll thingy if Steel Vengeance and Iron Gwazi didn't exist.

Yeah but RMC made it more of a 'thing' and do it on every ride. Especially with tilted track.

They definitely pushed boundaries with other elements and other manufacturers have followed their lead. Outer-banked airtime, sideways airtime, wave turns, stalls etc.

Not sure Mack would have built Hyperia's outward airtime barrell roll thingy if Steel Vengeance and Iron Gwazi didn't exist.

RMC definitely made the outward banked elements and hang time a big thing

Last edited:
IMG_2369.png
Look at these idiots on Tik tok. Been seeing this a lot lately on Tik tok by these prats thinking they know anything about theme parks
If this something that's organically emerged and isn't Thorpe pulling the strings in some way, it means that the theory of this coaster selling itself with sheer scale is working!

Even if there's a big online "nope" from a lot of people, there will be even more that will see it and go "oh yes", as someone who's worked on social media pages, the impressions on that post will be a lot higher than just the 5.2k likes...

Any publicity is good publicity.

The 1st drop looks good but nothing exeptional. I think this coaster will be sold on the hangtime. If the final tested ride goes through that hangtime element like it has so far omg itll be epic. No seatbelt (i know they rnt needed) to attach to the restraint will scare ppl.
Which probably won't be that popular with the general public. Although it is perfectly safe it won't feel it hanging upside down that far up and no OTSR. It'll be a very unique ride experience but part of me thinks it's wasted it height and speed somewhat. I'm not a massive fan of hangtime myself to be honest, I prefer a coaster to go through it's layout with some decent speed. With it going so slow through these elements also means wind is going to play a big part on whether it can operate or not?

Last edited:
Thorpe Park have today updated their app to show a few additional stats about Hyperia:
IMG_1750.png
For those who can’t see the picture, the stats are:
  • Height: 236ft
  • Speed: 81mph
  • Length: 3,254ft
  • Inversions: 2
  • Riders per Train: 20
  • Amount of Airtime: 14.8 seconds
  • Opening Year: 2024
That 15 seconds of airtime is certainly an attention-grabbing claim! I reckon they must be counting anywhere where riders are weightless, including the dive loop, as airtime, as I’m struggling to see how the ride will have 15 seconds of airtime otherwise.

Even then, though, that means that a significant proportion of the coasting time on Hyperia will have riders out of their seats, which is a refreshing change for a UK coaster!

For some point of comparison, the coaster with the most airtime in the world, Steel Vengeance at Cedar Point, claims to have 27.2 seconds of airtime.