• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Does anyone know what time the opening ceremony will be? Sadly can’t go to Thorpe on Friday but we are hoping to watch.

Just double checking that Thorpe is not in the congestion zone before heading down on Friday? Could probably Google it, but it's more fun to get you guys to tell me :tearsofjoy: :innocent:
I can happily confirm that Thorpe Park is not in the Congestion Zone (which is only Central London), nor ULEZ.

Chessington World of Adventures, on the other hand, is in ULEZ... Just.

Seeing those pictures just depresses me, the box for the ride building is just disappointing. No amount of gold trim and cladding can make up for it being a boring, cheaply made box. The Ride shop is even worse, the walls look like corrugated plastic. Sigh. For all the ride's strengths and weaknesses (length mostly), it doesn't desrve to have such a lazy 'theme' and ride buildings. Oh and the gold paint looks brown in the wrong light...

Nations tallest newest coaster, but the station looks crap.
All the worlds a critic.
Those famous words from Massive Attack...Be grateful for what you've got.
Nice new ride for me...don't give a damn about the station, at least it has a roof, so a massive improvement on another certain coaster in the park!

Those famous words from Massive Attack...Be grateful for what you've got.
Just as an aside you should check out the original, Be Thankful For What You’ve got by William DeVaughn from 1974, it’s very cool. I heard the Massive Attack cover first on Blue Lines but didn’t realise it was a cover until many years later.

https://youtu.be/tSt5MaSDDj8?si=wNKUkDgqjzrlr3Br

As for Hyperia it’s a pity that it feels they cheaped out the station and ride area, especially so after seeing how well they did Nemesis Reborn and refreshing Forbidden Valley. Whilst this was never going to be a heavily themed ride it just feels like it could have been presented a little better than just Icon 2.0.

FWIW, I firmly believe that both Icon and PMBO are far better presented than Hyperia. PMBO's station is architecturally interesting at the very least. Icon's landscaping isn't amazing but it's clear they had a proper vision and actually delivered on it to an extent.

For lack of anything better, I'm still thinking Hyperia should become the best coaster in the UK but I'm struggling to buy into the hype for it due to how half-hearted the whole thing seems.

I’m pretty sure I read that when the park did the ‘VIP’ Hyperia tour a few weeks back that it was mentioned that this was a budget signed off in the Varney era but the new management had released some more funds for theming.

Looking at this nearly finished project I am left wondering where that money has gone and how stripped back would it have been without the extra cash?

I’m pretty sure I read that when the park did the ‘VIP’ Hyperia tour a few weeks back that it was mentioned that this was a budget signed off in the Varney era but the new management had released some more funds for theming.

Looking at this nearly finished project I am left wondering where that money has gone and how stripped back would it have been without the extra cash?

Bought them some smoke machines and a projector. Exciting.

Just as an aside you should check out the original, Be Thankful For What You’ve got by William DeVaughn from 1974, it’s very cool. I heard the Massive Attack cover first on Blue Lines but didn’t realise it was a cover until many years later.

As for Hyperia it’s a pity that it feels they cheaped out the station and ride area, especially so after seeing how well they did Nemesis Reborn and refreshing Forbidden Valley. Whilst this was never going to be a heavily themed ride it just feels like it could have been presented a little better than just Icon 2.0.

Oh I do like a unknown original, thank you sir!
FWIW, I firmly believe that both Icon and PMBO are far better presented than Hyperia. PMBO's station is architecturally interesting at the very least. Icon's landscaping isn't amazing but it's clear they had a proper vision and actually delivered on it to an extent.
Ah but the Big One station was a tricky technical squeeze, a shed just wouldn't fit...and designed by the convenient architect in the family.
Completely agree though.
Give it time, the landscaping will grow, fast some of it (laurel)...and I just don't care about the shed, it has a roof, party!

My final Hyperia update 🫶 crazy! First up, thanks for all of the love.

The area is still very active with workers everywhere.

It's crazy the progress made since Sunday.

The floor into the area has been finished and a set of wings have been installed in the entrance plaza.

hyperia22ndmay2024-11.jpg

A test seat, queue times sign and ride restrictions board has been installed.

Oh and a huge stage.

hyperia22ndmay2024-15.jpg

hyperia22ndmay2024-22.jpg

The biggest part for me, they're installing a tent over the queue line in the saw alive area. This will be very useful when it's blasting hot or raining

hyperia22ndmay2024-02.jpg

Hyperia, it's time... see you on the other side.

hyperia22ndmay2024-10.jpg

It's interesting to note Thorpe have done a 180 on the fast track system for hyperia which makes sense because who in their right mind thinks you need to spend £100 on tat for a chance of spending more money on a overpriced single shot, thoosie's probably.

But regardless fast track will just be £20 per shot no strings attached but they are claiming it will be very limited.
Facebook link

It's interesting to note Thorpe have done a 180 on the fast track system for hyperia which makes sense because who in their right mind thinks you need to spend £100 on tat for a chance of spending more money on a overpriced single shot, thoosie's probably.

But regardless fast track will just be £20 per shot no strings attached but they are claiming it will be very limited.
Facebook link
The FAQs have been updated to reflect this, it's exclusive to the app.

Screenshot_20240522-203513-268.png

Edit: apparently £20 single shots were originally only available as an add-on to Platinum fastrack, now they'll be available to anyone but extremely limited.

Last edited: