• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

This is DB Ghost Train all over again, huge investment, massive publicity…opened broken.
This is only one closure, though; DBGT was delayed for an extra 2 months and then operated very sporadically for the entire 2016 season before needing a massive overhaul for 2017.

I'd give it a little time before declaring it a failure based on one, admittedly very poorly timed, closure. Particularly if it is to do with a part, as suggested above.

To be fair, I am uncertain why people are surprised by this. Generally this is the normal and not the exception when it comes to new rides opening unfortunately. Perhaps most of Thorpe Parks visitors are too young to remember a coaster opening due to the length of time between coasters.

I seem recall air having major issues upon opening, publicity was much higher than this for air. It broke spectacularly too within days of opening, with one of the station bars that spin to lower the train, snapping outright. It was down for much longer than this is projected to be.

It is unfortunate it has broke 1 day into opening however.

By the way, not sure if anyone's mentioned yet but the Cloud Nine Treats dessert bar in Fearless Valley is independently run and so does not offer the MAP discount.

I can’t believe some of the comments I’ve just read over the last few pages. People are travelling from all over the U.K for this coaster! I’ll be heading there from Devon in a couple of months and a Twitter (X) update would be more than welcome before I actually got on park so we could re evaluate our plans, come back another day and maybe spend the day elsewhere locally.

That update via socials was clearly aimed at people en route to the park and then you focus on everyone who has already parked up and started to queue.

It’s a crying shame that this has unfolded in this manner but I’m sure the team were absolutely scrambling to get this open on time and more importantly, safely! These things happen unfortunately.

I can’t believe some of the comments I’ve just read over the last few pages. People are travelling from all over the U.K for this coaster! I’ll be heading there from Devon in a couple of months and a Twitter (X) update would be more than welcome before I actually got on park so we could re evaluate our plans, come back another day and maybe spend the day elsewhere locally.

That update via socials was clearly aimed at people en route to the park and then you focus on everyone who has already parked up and started to queue.

It’s a crying shame that this has unfolded in this manner but I’m sure the team were absolutely scrambling to get this open on time and more importantly, safely! These things happen unfortunately.

It is a shame, but it is a very well known fact that rides do generally break in their first few weeks or days of operation. I guess this highlights the need for soft openings even more.

I read a MAP holder left TP for AT today. That's dedication..😂

I hope by June 15/16th it's running without too much issue. I can take a 3 hr queue if need be but being shut down on the day would be absolutely gutting coming from Manchester.

At least anyone with a hotel booking for Sunday and beyond been probably cancel bookings without charges.

Seen comments escalating on Thorpes announcement that the ride can’t be safe if it’s not going to be open for a bit. As Jigsaw next door would say ‘Let the games begin’

Seen comments escalating on Thorpes announcement that the ride can’t be safe if it’s not going to be open for a bit. As Jigsaw next door would say ‘Let the games begin’

Of course. Because idiots.

Was one bloke moaning along lines of "spending millions of pounds on something they can't open" which was amusing. Guess they were lucky majority of visitors I saw today were goons who had clearly been on it yesterday.

Friday was awesome. Sorry to anyone who couldn’t ride today.

The idea of soft openings has its merits, but new rides struggle to stay open all the time, it’s not unique to the UK/Merlin.

Look at Hagrid’s by Universal, Rise of the Resistance by Disney etc. Any new major project will have challenges. I have lots of sympathy for people who travelled to ride those, as well as people who were hoping to experience Hyperia this week.

Everyone at Thorpe Park/Mack will be gutted. There is likely nothing they can do to resolve this any sooner. Given the situation I think they have done everything reasonable this afternoon to manage expectations for the week ahead. Giving date changes for tickets and hotel is probably not required by T&Cs but a decent gesture.

Fingers crossed for a swift resolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk