• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

I wonder if someone has got injured. I honestly feel like I have concussion today following riding it. I feel sick and my head hurts. It was so jarring.
I've heard rumors on reddit that a part at the top of the lifthill has broken. Take it with a pinch of salt as it's only a rumor, Hyperia should be back and running by Wednesday I've heard also.

I've heard rumors on reddit that a part at the top of the lifthill has broken. Take it with a pinch of salt as it's only a rumor, Hyperia should be back and running by Wednesday I've heard also.
They've confirmed that the ride will definitely be closed until Thursday at the earliest, they've not said it definitely will reopen then or any time.

Think it's just a case of sitting tight and waiting until they've got it working again.

I can’t believe some of the comments I’ve just read over the last few pages. People are travelling from all over the U.K for this coaster! I’ll be heading there from Devon in a couple of months and a Twitter (X) update would be more than welcome before I actually got on park so we could re evaluate our plans, come back another day and maybe spend the day elsewhere locally.

That update via socials was clearly aimed at people en route to the park and then you focus on everyone who has already parked up and started to queue.

It’s a crying shame that this has unfolded in this manner but I’m sure the team were absolutely scrambling to get this open on time and more importantly, safely! These things happen unfortunately.
I don’t think anyone is saying they were wrong to post it on socials. What I am specifically saying however is the communication to guests on park in the moment via both park staff and over the methods they had available (the park wide tannoy) were seriously lacking. And that’s not a sleight on the staff - that’s a sleight on management.

At exactly the same time it was posted on socials, not after, not before, management should’ve been over the park-wide tannoy explaining the situation and apologising profusely, as well as detailing any further steps being taken for the benefit of both guests and queue line staff. It should not have been dissected via Chinese whispers through the queue line based on social media posts.

Generally you do get a lot of poorly informed comments about unsafe rides on social media and sensationalist comments about routine break downs. It’s also worth saying that Mack and Merlin both have a very good safety record. I can imagine there being a lot of angry Thorpe Park visitors, and angry people often aren’t the most reasonable.

Having said that, in this case the concerns are at least understandable. Although it’s completely unrelated to Hyperia, we have recently had the unfolding scandal around the Co Op Live Aren in Manchester, where it turned out that the opening was cancelled at the last minute because an air conditioning unit had fallen off the ceiling, and now whistleblowers have been telling the BBC that a lot of safety concerns hadn’t been addressed before they tried to open it. With the Co Op Live Arena they also issued statements about why the concerts were delayed that at best were seriously misleading and probably completely false.

As I said, this is completely unrelated to Thorpe Park or Mack Rides, but it’s not like there haven’t been high profile projects in modern Britain where they were rushed to get them open for a well advertised deadlines. This doesn’t mean that this happened with Hyperia, but you can understand why the public are asking whether it’s a similar situation.

A month ago people were looking at construction pictures on here and saying it was going to be very tight to get it ready in time. A couple of days ago the site was covered in construction workers. It opens for a day and then closes for several days. None of that means it wasn’t safe. Like I said at the start, Merlin and Mack Rides have a very good safety record. But if people on social media are simply asking whether it was safe to open it, then it’s an understandable question for people to ask.

Think it's a perfect assumption that something is wrong with the lift hill given I saw people walking up and down it yesterday inspecting it. Add on to those saying that it was being noisier than usual on Friday makes it a fairly safe bet.

Have seen it mentioned that Roland Mack was on park yesterday discussing it as well. Which might give credence to the expected time frame announcement later in the day.

Personally I reckon something just couldn't withstand the amount of sudden work it needed to do Friday and either just broke or more likely got displaced in such a manner that caused the unexpected closure. Pure speculation on my part mind.

Mods can we not just lock this thread until there's concrete evidence as to why the ride is temporarily closed. Everyone making wild assumptions are only adding to the rumour mill!
Best way of winding the guvnors up is telling them what to do.
Relevant topic for information sharing on the nations biggest ride!
Get real, we can all judge what is and isn't bullshit by now.

Last edited:
Bit late to the party here but Friday was one of the best days I've ever had at any theme park!

Hyperia was just awesome and that stall is something else 🔥 I'm glad I managed to get some rides in before it's closure.

I was a bit disappointed though as we traveled from North Wales and have stayed all weekend so was hoping to get a few more rides in!

I feel bad for the ones who didn't go Friday and travelled down yesterday morning.

And I must say that this situation shoots down my long held theory that day two is always twice as good as day one.
Shorter queues, less "vibe", more relaxed.
Only works if the ride is actually open.
But yes, usual, nothing not normal here.
All that technology and physical machinery, brand new, working flat out for the first time under full weight and strain, metal on metal gearing...with real humans.
Things weren't right, health and safety kicks in, well done.
Bring on that September rainy weekday.

Have seen it mentioned that Roland Mack was on park yesterday discussing it as well. Which might give credence to the expected time frame announcement later in the day.

Even if that is true or not, Mack will be bending over backwards to get this sorted ASAP. A major multinational client having their shiny new coaster die after a day is a nightmare. Future orders hang in the balance depending on how they deal with this. Intamin and Cedar Fair, Gerst and Six Flags spring to mind.

I remember air.
And smiler.
Both third time lucky.
Smiler gave me a walk on single rider, I said I had missed it twice, due to stuff...and the gate staff said...
"Hold back mate, you deserve a front seat for that..."
Front right, next train.
Quality and service.
Stuff happens.

I remember air.
And smiler.
Both third time lucky.
Smiler gave me a walk on single rider, I said I had missed it twice, due to stuff...and the gate staff said...
"Hold back mate, you deserve a front seat for that..."
Front right, next train.
Quality and service.
Stuff happens.

Indeed it does
Air was a nightmare - 4th visit before I got on.
At the end of the day all the testing in the world can’t simulate real life situations.

It’ll be fixed, settle down and then I’ll go

Very good point mate.
Icon was very good from the start wasn't it.
Every morning, warming up the launch with the rollbacks...
"Oh no, it's broken".
The slow first rides on Icon in the morning, genuine accidental tracktouching on that first roll...sublime.
Sorry, off topic.
Back on topic, if that mud has been seeded by now...and it should have been, it will be nice and green in a couple of weeks, and looking lovely and finished.
If...
But zero reason now not to have been fully seeded, and the weather/timing is absolutely perfect.