• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

I find it really interesting that the biggest news in the UK’s theme park industry is this failure, so big in fact that it has reached the front page of BBC News:

IMG_4198.jpeg

And yet, the same people who plastered social media with gushing positivity after attending the press event, all now seem to be mysteriously silent.

If ever there were a demonstration of these sources being massively conflicted and journalistically weak, this is it.

Totally agree that new rides having trouble at opening is not new. I also remember the issues with Air, although that was a prototype ride so perhaps was a little more understandable than Hyperia which isn’t.

But putting that aside, whilst rides having issues is not new, the world has changed since the likes of Air opening and even Smiler 11 years ago.

Trip Advisor, social media, YouTube and ‘journalists’ trawling social media for stories are huge now. The impact that closing your new ride the day after it opened can have on your reputation is far greater now than it was 20 years ago and parks need to adapt to that.

Just saying ‘it happens’ isn’t good enough anymore. They need to protect their brand.

I find it really interesting that the biggest news in the UK’s theme park industry is this failure, so big in fact that it has reached the front page of BBC News:

IMG_4198.jpeg

And yet, the same people who plastered social media with gushing positivity after attending the press event, all now seem to be mysteriously silent.

If ever there were a demonstration of these sources being massively conflicted and journalistically weak, this is it.
Come on now...that is selected out into the surrey regional news, not the national headlines!

To be fair it IS on the main page of the website. If you click onto any news story it gives you the regional breakdown menu.
on my tab it is the 7th most read story
after reading it, it isn't a negetive story, just essentially saying it weas closed for unforseen circumstances and that people who booked can get a free return. the whole story is just 9 sentences.

Even if that is true or not, Mack will be bending over backwards to get this sorted ASAP. A major multinational client having their shiny new coaster die after a day is a nightmare. Future orders hang in the balance depending on how they deal with this. Intamin and Cedar Fair, Gerst and Six Flags spring to mind.
Mack will get it sorted quickly. I was at Europa Park several years ago for two days during peak season and the lift chain for Wodan snapped during my first day on park (luckily I had already managed to get a ride). They replaced the lift chain overnight and had it back up running by late morning on my second day. Definitely helped by them having a spare chain and crane on site though.

Issue here might be spare parts if there are parts which they need to bring in from Germany.

The extended delay probably means they have to fabricate a part or re-design it. Otherwise it would be there in under 6 hours. Makes you wonder if TP ever stress-tested it by running it 12 hours continuous with trains full of test dummies (for a week). A lot cheaper than the current situation ;-)

Come on now...that is selected out into the surrey regional news, not the national headlines!

Front page of the main site for me at the moment, Rob. Eighth article from the top.

I suppose my wider point though is that this isn’t insignificant. And yet there’s a mysterious silence from some quarters, who would previously be publicising every last tid bit of news.

Mack will get it sorted quickly. I was at Europa Park several years ago for two days during peak season and the lift chain for Wodan snapped during my first day on park (luckily I had already managed to get a ride). They replaced the lift chain overnight and had it back up running by late morning on my second day. Definitely helped by them having a spare chain and crane on site though.

Issue here might be spare parts if there are parts which they need to bring in from Germany.

The likes of Europa are a different beast to Merlin though, they have built a reputation for reliability at their parks.

The extended delay probably means they have to fabricate a part or re-design it. Otherwise it would be there in under 6 hours. Makes you wonder if TP ever stress-tested it by running it 12 hours continuous with trains full of test dummies (for a week). A lot cheaper than the current situation ;-)
not so sure about this, depending on the part fabrication could take days to weeks, from my experience depending on the complexity for instance if it requires machining it could take a while, depending on the complexity, is it a 2d, 3d macheing job, maybe it is a 4 or 5 axis job, each requires different set of machines which probably are already booked for the short term, dose it then require post treatment, heat treating grinding etc I don't have too much experience with sheet metal fabrication so I don't know how long that would take but I would imagine it would take a some time

how long is shipping, well what is the part? is it a small part that can be first class posted for very cheap or is it too big and not practical to be quickly moved and probably requires a lorry to move (if it is too big or too heavy for alternatives), that would mean a lorry driving from where the part is to Thorpe, something which would probably take a couple days, shipping is not instant and takes a while manufacturing is also not an instant deal and redesigning something would probably take longer, depending on the part.

in addition you can test a system all you like, but the second it is in the real world it is an entire different environment.

If it were a part readily available then you'd just ship it. For a small part (less than 50kg) you'd just send someone on the next plane (there are quite a few). Larger you'd UPS/Fedex it or charter a small plane for faster service. Either way, 6 hours is no problem to LHR and TP (assuming customs clearance is expedited).

I'm guessing a design/manufacturing issue, because mechanical issues/failures are well understood. Hence why I wonder whether they properly stress-tested it (and then inspected it properly post-test), since they only had 1 month to do run testing. A full train will add 1600kg to the weight.

If it were a part readily available then you'd just ship it. For a small part (less than 50kg) you'd just send someone on the next plane (there are quite a few). Larger you'd UPS/Fedex it or charter a small plane for faster service. Either way, 6 hours is no problem to LHR and TP (assuming customs clearance is expedited).

I'm guessing a design/manufacturing issue, because mechanical issues/failures are well understood. Hence why I wonder whether they properly stress-tested it (and then inspected it properly post-test), since they only had 1 month to do run testing. A full train will add 1600kg to the weight.
how long dose it take to charter an entire plane? these planes would have scheduling done weeks if not months in advance, the same goes for most cargo flights, and a light part (weiging less than 50Kg) may not be practical to air ship, if it is some sheet metal parts it may be really large and an unusual shape, the same probably goes for shipping companies as they will probably have plans in advance.
a couple days shipping and installation is probably quite reasonable as all this will have to be organised after it broke.
this is not simple logistics, they now have to plan everything out about moving these parts down and organise with other companies to get them down, if it is small enough where can be shipped via DHL or other companies that would probably work, but for larger parts there is a lot of organisation and waiting (if you managed to charter a plane, is it at the airport you want? if not it now has to fly over to that airport, refuel and load the cargo, in addition the cargo has to get to the airport.)
with large parts last minuet stuff isn't easy or quick, if they had time to organise it, it could take 6 hours but with no time to organise, everything not in position etc it will take longer.

Last edited:
Nothing like topical thoosie logistics parts transfer discussions to fill the downtime.
How were the kebabs friends.
All I want to know.
I know the beer is crap, down south...etc.

KFC business yesterday, didn't roll in to the park until gone 5 on Friday so existed on Pringles and chocolate.

Haven't touched Thorpe kebabs since it became Aramark