• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Different ball game this weekend. Terrible weather and busier crowds.
Yes good point. Perhaps they need more dynamic pricing based on the day (but not during the day) like they do for tickets. Park entry tickets are super cheap here compared to the big US parks. But charging 50% of entry for a FP.....?

Completely agree that FP should be limited, or better still have the "speedy" system they have at Legoland/BPB etc. Virtual queuing should be the way to go. IMHO

Yes good point. Perhaps they need more dynamic pricing based on the day (but not during the day) like they do for tickets. Park entry tickets are super cheap here compared to the big US parks. But charging 50% of entry for a FP.....?
Dynamic pricing if anything should make fasttrack more expensive. If someone really wants to skip the queue they can pay £30+, if they don't want to pay they can join a fast moving queue because fewer people are skipping it.

Reports that Hyperia has a rattle. Shall we hyperfixate on it, as per tradition?
We Have To Do This Joe Biden GIF by The Democrats

Reports that Hyperia has a rattle. Shall we hyperfixate on it, as per tradition?
There is a rattle but it's not too bad. Certainly doesn't take away from the ride experience. I don't know what train it is, but it's more noticeable on one of them.

Arrived at 4pm today and got 3 rides in, was on the second last train of the day and they let us stay on. Got a back row ride but I think it's better near the front of the train where you're pushed up into the elements. Definitely better for airtime.

The queue was so short at park close, they kept it open 5 minutes later. I'd assume they're aiming to have the ride shut down no later than an hour after closing.

There is a rattle but it's not too bad. Certainly doesn't take away from the ride experience. I don't know what train it is, but it's more noticeable on one of them.

Arrived at 4pm today and got 3 rides in, was on the second last train of the day and they let us stay on. Got a back row ride but I think it's better near the front of the train where you're pushed up into the elements. Definitely better for airtime.

The queue was so short at park close, they kept it open 5 minutes later. I'd assume they're aiming to have the ride shut down no later than an hour after closing.
Can you still hear the chain lift from the other side of the M25 or has it quietened down a bit since launch day?

Both trains row 4 had a slight rattle in the valleys on opening day. I know this as I made friends with a single rider who rode the same seat I did the next train after. It’s a typical Mack rattle, not painful or what I would describe as rough.

My back row ride on the other hand was almost perfectly smooth plus every element felt better to me.

1000017704.jpg
14 rides on hyperia tried every row but row 8 and I did not experience this 'rattle' I'd say that's probably something you'd only notice if you spent your ride trying to notice it.

Brilliant but short coaster, every element kicks ass except from the last little hill but even that one is a bit floaty, I'd say it rode to my expectations and it's my favorite ride in the country, I'm just glad to have this at Thorpe park and to be able to experience a good Mack hyper coaster on a day tripable park, this is a very good moment.

And to anyone who is wondering how I got 11 rides today I was tactical, used single rider when appropriate as this wasn't always shorter, I queued at 8:30 got off the ride at 10:05 went back around for single rider twice and before I knew it I had been on 3 times by 10:50, I also used fast track once when single rider and main queue were both long at the peak of the day and only time I wasn't queueing or riding was for the fearless valley Loo's.

I haven't ridden it yet, but what I'd say is that I think any ride will have a rattle if you look for one and analyse it enough. On a ride like Hyperia in particular, I'd also argue that a bit of a rattle comes with the territory; a coaster that goes 81mph and pulls high g-forces is inherently going to have some small degree of vibration.

At those speeds, a perceived rattle may not even come from the trains; it could be from the wind in your face, or from the sheer speed of the coaster. It could easily be a feeling of intensity rather than a rattle from the coaster itself.

From what I've read and heard, it does seem as though Hyperia is faring better in the rattle regard than Voltron, which has (had?) a bit of a roughness roulette going on. On that one, it sounds as though you can get a brilliantly smooth ride on one go and a horrifically rough ride on the next.

Seems that they get reported more and more these days compared to years prior so I'm not sure how this has suddenly become a thing?
A lie can travel halfway around the world, whilst the truth is putting its shoes on.

I think the proliferation of a super computer in every pocket, an enthusiastically engaged community of theme park and ride fans all inter connected, and a wider understanding or use of terminology associated with ride critique.

To flip it, how often do you hear the term "lighting package" used now? Or how "atmospheric" everything is? Is it theming, or is it really immersive? How about a recent one, which has featured on this forum to much comment and critique, "whimsical". Remember when everyone suddenly started referring to whimsical themes overnight?

Words and phrases fall in and out of favour. I'm sure this is partly to blame here because, let's be honest, Corkscrew was rattley as hell.

Got to the park just after 2 and managed 4 more rides on Hyperia today, 2 x row 6, row 9 and finally a go on the back! First 3 rides using the SRQ and last ride in the main queue.

My thoughts from opening day remain the same, but definitely appreciated the stall much more today. I think before I was so blown away at how good the outer bank was I didn't really appreciate how good the stall is too. The first drop on the back is incredible.

Got really lucky on my last ride, got off just after 5 and managed to get back in the queue at 5:04! They closed the queue just after I got back in. There was a group of 4 behind me that got let in the pre queue, but then weren't let in the main queue. Bit out of order to be honest, yes it was after 5 but due to the miscommunication and for the sake of ruining 4 peoples day they should've just let them through.

I was interested in what kind of throughput this gets, and I didn't have anything better to do being on my own so was timing the dispatches in the SRQ. Ranged from around 1min 40secs - 2mins, so about 600-800 an hour. Not great. Yes the main queue moves really quickly at the moment, but we have really small numbers or RAP and Fastrack.

The team working on Hyperia are great and run it flawlessly, it very rarely stacks. What lets it down is how long it takes for the train to get back in the station, hopefully thats something they can change in the future.

Did notice a couple times today, with them double batching the air gates this did cause some confusion and guests boarded the train when other guests were putting bags away. This slowed things down as caused faff with restraints having to be unlocked to go back to the airgates.

Still feels so surreal we've got this at Thorpe and its here to stay. Probably won't go back now till midweek September where I can ride it all day!

The rattles have always been there. People just expect perfection in everything these days. It's never bothered me
RMC are probably partly to “blame” for this. Coasters with crazy elements and airtime that are glass smooth!

I’m looking forward to getting back on Hyperia this weekend, although not looking forward to the queue. I’ll hopefully be able to make a slightly more informed opinion on the ride, as my 2 rides on opening day feel like a bit of a blur!

I didn't notice a rattle on my two rides yesterday. There's a slight vibration at the base of the first drop but that's to be expected when you are travelling at 80 mph, I wouldn't call it a rattle though.

The whole ride felt quite smooth to me! Until you hit the trims and feel yourself thrown forward in the seat :tearsofjoy:

Did notice a couple times today, with them double batching the air gates this did cause some confusion and guests boarded the train when other guests were putting bags away. This slowed things down as caused faff with restraints having to be unlocked to go back to the airgates.
I always wonder about this when I see it, guests’ brains seem to sail away with the wind and they lose the ability to count how many people are in front of them. Seems to happen all the time on Wicker Man and there’s only two seats there too..