• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

I'm curious as to what is going on with Hyperia. It doesn't look like a very technically complex ride on the surface. (Compared to a ride like Voltron)
Complex technically: no, not really. But that doesn't mean the engineering is at all simple. There may not be 100s of different, novel mechanical or electrical components, but there are still many 'traditional' elements that could be facing issues.

Possible added complexity if the original design/layout was chopped down based on budgets. All the trimming and final braking forces needed.

Still interesting that these issues are only really manifesting themselves now. Theoretically they could have been known in the first test run; but the weather (not particularly forgivable if so) and recent repair works may have played a part.

Did they have a fallout with B&M? When was this? Can't recall unless someone can correct me on this.
I’m not saying they did at all. My point was more that if they “fell out” with Mack over these issues, then there would be many other manufacturers that they’d fallen out with over the years on the basis of rides having similar issues.

Wicker Man had similar issues. Thirteen had similar issues. Air had similar issues. Saw The Ride had similar issues. The list probably goes on.

My point is that if they were falling out with Mack on the basis of what’s happened with Hyperia, then they’d have fallen out with half the manufacturers they’ve ever worked with.

As with the Big One, the weather does have a greater effect on hypercoasters. Some of the tests look like the train is going to valley it's that slow. Surely the lifthill you think would be solid being a very conventional design. I heard rumour there were issues with people leaning on the airgates causing it to e-stop. I saw a video of the wheels squealing when it takes the outer banked turn out the station but again, the ride is still bedding in so it could be normal.

Based on how people are loosing their minds over this having relatively minor technical issues, I dread to think how they would have responded to all the downtime air had. Or what about Dragons Fury and Spinball Whizzer, they both went down at the same time a month or so after opening in 2004 and stayed down for well over a month, maybe 2 months.

I highly doubt there is all this falling out too..it makes for a nice drama story on the forums though. You never know though.

Last edited:
Based on how people are loosing their minds over this having relatively minor technical issues, I dread to think how they would have responded to all the downtime air had. Or what about Dragons Fury and Spinball Whizzer, they both went down at the same time a month or so after opening in 2004 and stayed down for well over a month, maybe 2 months.

I highly doubt there is all this falling out too..it makes for a nice drama story on the forums though. You never know though.
Rightly or wrongly as to whether anyone has a right to know what’s broken or whatever, Merlin have to get ahead of the press on this, as evidenced fore the Mirror have already put out a story and the rest of the vultures will be circling. Even if it’s a one liner saying “look, rides break when they first open”.

Again, lack of communication so people will fill the gap in any way they see fit.

The stakes are high in an age where you invite dozens of influencers and bring virtually instant exposure and awareness to hundreds of thousands.

Many people following will be neurodiverse and have the most intense levels of interest in the ride. Many will have travelled hours and hundreds of miles to ride it.

You cannot have/build such intense excitement without expecting a certain amount of converse emotional disappointment/interest when things go wrong.

I managed to ride Hyperia once today. I was seated in Row 8.
The trains were very comfortable, and I liked the bag storage system.
The drop was excellent, and was my favourite part of the ride.
The Immelmann was good, and the exit of this element gave plenty of floater airtime.
There was a rattle at this point, but it didn't affect the ride experience.
The outerbank was good and also relaxing. There was a lot of floater airtime on this element.
The zero-g stall was a whole lot of nothing. It didn't do anything for me.
I enjoyed the final pop of airtime at the end of the ride. It came as a bit of a surprise.
I wish that Hyperia was longer, and had more violent airtime.
Judging by that one ride alone, Hyperia is nowhere near as good as Nemesis for me, and it probably isn't my favourite rollercoaster at Thorpe Park itself, but I will need plenty of re-rides to solidify this.

I just about managed one ride on Hyperia today for the first time.

It’s a stunning coaster with amazing views, fast snappy elements combining what must be the finest moments of airtime and hangtime in the U.K. at least. Most likely my favourite U.K. coaster, but on the worldwide map it’s a bit of a blur right now.

Sadly 20 minutes after this experience, the ride broke down at the top with the queues eventually cleared. The ride tested throughout the afternoon but never reopened.

I strongly enjoyed my go on this attraction but really hope they can sort the ride’s reliability out pronto, because it seems like a mess at present. Hyperia is one of the hottest new additions to the park in its 45 year history and they must strike the iron while it’s hot!