• ā„¹ļø Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Iā€™m hearing word from a number of sources that Hyperia has stalledā€¦

I should stress that there is not photo or video confirmation of this, but if true, this isnā€™t goodā€¦

It was all going so well after they resolved the stoppage on Saturdayā€¦
EDIT - Hereā€™s the best video I can find:

Unsurprisingly, it appears to have stalled through that big outerbank.

Last edited:
Iā€™m hearing word from a number of sources that Hyperia has stalledā€¦

I should stress that there is not photo or video confirmation of this, but if true, this isnā€™t goodā€¦

It was all going so well after they resolved the stoppage on Saturdayā€¦
EDIT - Hereā€™s the best video I can find:

Unsurprisingly, it appears to have stalled through that big outerbank.

Yes, I believe the train didn't make it over the outerbank this morning

Jesus, not only did it stall but it hardly made it half way up that outerbanked turn. Is there a hurricane in Chertsey today? Or is that a pendulum affect from having missed it the first time?

Jesus, not only did it stall but it hardly made it half way up that outerbanked turn. Is there a hurricane in Chertsey today? Or is that a pendulum affect from having missed it the first time?
That could have been a clip filmed after the ride had gone back and forth for a bit; I think the chances of someone catching the exact moment it initially rolled back by chance are quite slim.

Mack have really messed this one up, haven't they? The issues I can think of:
  • Issues with the lift hill following opening day
  • Block issues causing extended stoppages
  • An incredible amount of fins on the brake run meaning it takes a lifetime for the train to return to the station, impacting throughput
  • What appears to be a fundamental design flaw, it takes that outer bank so slowly when the train is running empty. One gust of wind is probably all it takes to stall. This will happen again without some sort of change (practical or policy)
  • Might not be an issue, but the lift motor is incredibly loud!
It's not a good look for Mack, and Merlin will not be happy that their flagship new ride is encountering problem after problem. You do have to wonder what this might mean for a relationship going forward.

I was concerned with how slow it was going through that outer bank in case it happened with guests. I guess in theory it'll be going faster with guests than when it's empty so it's less likely, but it still doesn't instill me with confidence.

You'd like to think all these speed calculations have been done in the design stage which makes it all the more bizarre.

Mack have really messed this one up, haven't they? The issues I can think of:
  • Issues with the lift hill following opening day
  • Block issues causing extended stoppages
  • An incredible amount of fins on the brake run meaning it takes a lifetime for the train to return to the station, impacting throughput
  • What appears to be a fundamental design flaw, it takes that outer bank so slowly when the train is running empty. One gust of wind is probably all it takes to stall. This will happen again without some sort of change (practical or policy)
  • Might not be an issue, but the lift motor is incredibly loud!
It's not a good look for Mack, and Merlin will not be happy that their flagship new ride is encountering problem after problem. You do have to wonder what this might mean for a relationship going forward.

The lift top sprocket is also many magnitudes louder than anything I've heard outside of when Colossus is dragging it's chain. Not good for the comparison to be to a 22 year old Intamin.

Have to hope this can be fixed with harder wheels but that'll make the rattle even worse.

I live less than an hour away, it's not overly windy around me this morning. I'm fully aware that wind speed on ground level does not equal wind speed at 200ft (dispersion modelling is part of my job) but it's nowhere close to the 47mph winds it supposedly can run in.

I was tempted to head down this afternoon for the first time since opening day, won't bother now!