• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Booked to go to Thorpe on Sunday, I know it’s impossible to say but do you think the suspected issues today put Hyperia out of action for a significant period of time again or do you think it’s a quick fix?

I think we can put the talk of GPS to bed, it is not something that is seen on coasters and not something relevant to Hyperia. Thank you.
Booked to go to Thorpe on Sunday, I know it’s impossible to say but do you think the suspected issues today put Hyperia out of action for a significant period of time again or do you think it’ll be an easy fix?

That's a tough one to say. I suspect Thorpe Park will post something later today, at least covering whether it will open tomorrow or not. It all depends if they need to determine why it stalled, or if they already know that. And are they prepared to open it on just 1 train perhaps, as the train that stalled possibly won't be ready for use immediately.

Wait and see for now I am afraid.

Booked to go to Thorpe on Sunday, I know it’s impossible to say but do you think the suspected issues today put Hyperia out of action for a significant period of time again or do you think it’s a quick fix?
Probably a quick fix if they choose to ride it out, pardon the pun (get train back to station and make sure they don’t send it round empty ever again), or longer term if they choose to do something more substantial and ride altering. I obviously haven’t got a clue what they’re thinking but think it’ll be back open tomorrow.

Great question! The stalled train will definitely have been removed, but as for the ride?? Now sure what you can do with that.....
- if it was due to empty train weight, maybe they only run full - or employ a few fat blokes like me to sit at the back all day
- wind/weather - quite stuffed there if they limit the conditions it can run at
- filling cars with dummies every time they need to send a test train around - that's going to take a long time
- train/car issue - possible but not likely

Looks like a fundamental design flaw to me. You can't ask gravity to be a bit stonger...

Can see a minimum rider limit like 13 as a temporary solution. If it dies during the day they might have to round up tech services/welcome hosts/whoever to be a load

Before all the talk about design flaws, let’s not forget that stalling on an empty train is not unheard of for a variety of reasons and does not necessarily indicate a major design flaw.

Dragon’s Fury stalled not that long ago. The Big One stalled towards the end on a sunny day in July a few years ago. Icon stalled in its opening year. The Smiler stalled twice within the space of one week in its opening month. Mandrill Mayhem stalled a few months ago. Voltron stalled on the evening of its press event. If we look abroad, plenty of other rides, including B&Ms, have stalled on an empty train. This does not mean that the rides have fundamental design flaws.

With Hyperia in general, I think the only unusual thing that has happened with it was the initial extended closure. The other issues, and even dare I say the stall, are not overly unusual for a brand new ride.

I'd be shocked if the ride stays closed for a few days because of a stall.

SAW stalled many times, even years after its opening, which granted, it has more available cars to use but the point stands. Same with smiler and fury

I always thought the bit after the outerbank looked more prone to a rollback. I genuinely thought there was a launch in there. How it generates enough momentum to go upside down on that arch is the most impressive bit for me

@Matt N And how were these fixed? You can't add more gravity! Sorry to disagree, but an empty train stalling is basically a design flaw. Stealth is amazing for it's slow speed over the top, but it's designed in - the launch speed, the risk of rollback. Not a lot you can do with Xperia.

LIMs allow you to do amazing things because they can generate the exact amount of energy. You can't do that with a chain lift. IMHO there should be a lot more sensors and LIMs around the track for such an adventurous coaster. Doesn't even cost much, as the unused LIMs can be swapped out.

@Matt N And how were these fixed? You can't add more gravity! Sorry to disagree, but an empty train stalling is basically a design flaw. Stealth is amazing for it's slow speed over the top, but it's designed in - the launch speed, the risk of rollback. Not a lot you can do with Xperia.
If an empty train was stalling every time or very often, then I’d agree. But thus far, we have no proof that this is the case for Hyperia. This is the first and only time that the ride has stalled during that element.

In all of the cases I mentioned above, it wasn’t “fixed” because it was a relatively freak occurrence caused by a perfect storm of circumstances, and I imagine it’s the same for Hyperia. Just because an empty train has stalled once, that does not automatically equate to some crippling design flaw.

Some rides do take moments slowly during their test runs on an empty train. But that does not mean that they’re flawed in design or that they frequently stall; many of the examples I cited above have only stalled once, to my knowledge.

LIMs allow you to do amazing things because they can generate the exact amount of energy. You can't do that with a chain lift. IMHO there should be a lot more sensors and LIMs around the track for such an adventurous coaster. Doesn't even cost much, as the unused LIMs can be swapped out.
I assumed the outer bank was made higher than the non-inverting Immelmann thing because otherwise the ejector would be too strong, and they kinda wanted to go into a hangtime esque moment. So I don't know if adding LIMs would work, unless they install a random drive tyre at the apex

@Matt NLIMs allow you to do amazing things because they can generate the exact amount of energy. You can't do that with a chain lift. IMHO there should be a lot more sensors and LIMs around the track for such an adventurous coaster. Doesn't even cost much, as the unused LIMs can be swapped out.
We'll just ignore the huge power requirements these have, and the fact that accounting for a tonne of LIMs that you may or may not use would put your infrastructure costs RIGHT up lol