• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

On a more positive note, they appear to have gone back to 2 trains a day earlier than anticipated!

Hyperia has now started testing again, from what I’ve heard…

I do wonder if it might be a good idea for Thorpe to just advertise that Hyperia will open at, say, 11am or 12pm for the interim period while they iron out its teething issues, as it rarely seems to open on time at the moment.

Can we not have a running commentary on the operation of Hyperia?

This is all pretty standard stuff for the operation of a new coaster and creating pages of posts kind of spam and drown out more meaningful discussion around the ride...
Fair enough; I apologise. I thought people might want to know, but if it's not appreciated, I can stop.

I mean me personally I don't mind it although I haven't been around on forums for too many coaster openings so it hasn't worn thin yet but I've been enjoying hearing about hyperia's ups and downs so far, just find it interesting to see what goes on with new rides within their first weeks of opening.

I know it's currently rocky in terms of reliability, but I must admit that hearing all the reviews has made me all the more gutted that Hyperia was closed when I went earlier in the month... I went on 10th June, so I literally missed its reopening by 2 days and had to watch it test!

With that said, I did have a cracking day at Thorpe even in its absence, and looking at the queues on the Monday after, I think I may have picked the lesser of two evils despite Hyperia being open on the Monday after... those queues looked pretty bad on 17th June, whereas I had a brilliant day on 10th June and got 15 rides in!

Part of me is keen to hold off on a Thorpe revisit until it can operate a little more reliably, but the other part of me is getting serious FOMO from hearing about it repeatedly! I won't be riding it now until mid July at the earliest, sadly... for various reasons, me, my mum and my dad can't go for at least the next 2 weekends.

I know it's currently rocky in terms of reliability, but I must admit that hearing all the reviews has made me all the more gutted that Hyperia was closed when I went earlier in the month... I went on 10th June, so I literally missed its reopening by 2 days and had to watch it test!

With that said, I did have a cracking day at Thorpe even in its absence, and looking at the queues on the Monday after, I think I may have picked the lesser of two evils despite Hyperia being open on the Monday after... those queues looked pretty bad on 17th June, whereas I had a brilliant day on 10th June and got 15 rides in!

Part of me is keen to hold off on a Thorpe revisit until it can operate a little more reliably, but the other part of me is getting serious FOMO from hearing about it repeatedly! I won't be riding it now until mid July at the earliest, sadly... for various reasons, me, my mum and my dad can't go for at least the next 2 weekends.

Honestly? It's unlikely to be going anywhere anytime soon, even with these issues. I wouldn't fret too much.

Regarding ideas of LSMs to "give it a nudge", my thought was this should have been designed in (and for any coaster where you're going for near stalls). There's a reason you have trim brakes - because it's designed to have more energy than required. Including LSMs in-service is a major re-design, but not impossible.

Pleased to see it open with 2 trains, but makes me wonder why/how it was returned so quickly. Maybe just a freak occurrence, but once in a week or two of running doesn't bode well when the wind picks up.

Maybe do what they did in hospital to my Grandfather when he was very ill. They rubbed him all over in lard. Unfortunately, he went downhill very quickly after that! Bum tsk! 😁

Regarding ideas of LSMs to "give it a nudge", my thought was this should have been designed in (and for any coaster where you're going for near stalls). There's a reason you have trim brakes - because it's designed to have more energy than required. Including LSMs in-service is a major re-design, but not impossible.

Pleased to see it open with 2 trains, but makes me wonder why/how it was returned so quickly. Maybe just a freak occurrence, but once in a week or two of running doesn't bode well when the wind picks up.

Maybe do what they did in hospital to my Grandfather when he was very ill. They rubbed him all over in lard. Unfortunately, he went downhill very quickly after that! Bum tsk! 😁
It’s flying round today! The operations are on point. One getting sent out a few seconds after the last hits the brakes!

Trim brakes in the form of fins are easy to incorporate as apart from their own weight, there is no forces on the actual unit as there is no contact plus they don't affect the train that much usually. LSM launches need a huge power supply and then you have to work out how the boosted dynamics affect the rest of the structure, especially the next bits the train hits where the forces can be considerably higher than without the boost. They are nowhere near as easy to add as trim brakes, despite looking outwardly similar, and cost a shed load while needing to be easily accessible.