• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

We came down a few weeks ago for two days at thorpe and was spited, but we managed to clear the rest of the park so aren't fussed about another full park day

We are driving down Thursday night, and staying over. Never done chessie before.
So was aiming to be at thorpe realy early for hyperia then spend the rest of our time at Chessington

We came down a few weeks ago for two days at thorpe and was spited, but we managed to clear the rest of the park so aren't fussed about another full park day

We are driving down Thursday night, and staying over. Never done chessie before.
So was aiming to be at thorpe realy early for hyperia then spend the rest of our time at Chessington
I almost reckon you’d be better off going to Chessington in the morning and going to Thorpe towards the end of the day, based on Hyperia’s recent operations. It’s tended to open late on most mornings recently.

First ride today, stunning coaster it really is. I agree with the sentiment that it doesn’t feel overly short when you’re on it. The first drop is so so good, the forces when pulling out the drops are fantastic too. The outerbank took me by surprise, unbelievable element, out your seat the whole way. The stall is also an eye catching element, it rides well and is taken at a perfect speed, I’d probably say it’s better than Zadra’s stall. Overall an easy uk no.1 for me, by some considerable margin. And easily in my top 5 overall, every element hits perfectly apart from the unfortunate trim breaks, but even the final two elements after still deliver. Area is looking tidier now compared to the images I’d seen previously. I thought it too worth mention that shading in the queue line is almost nonexistent, and on days like today it’s going to be too much for many many people, but at least they sell a lot of drinks and ice creams. Overall a top notch Mack Produkt, short? kinda, but what it does in the time it has is really stunning. Well worth the trip for anyone in the UK.

Now I’ve had a few rides and some time to dwell on it, I’ve formulated an opinion.

Firstly, I respect Thorpe for taking the plunge and installing something different. The “safe” option would be a B&M Hyper, but I can see the logic in Hyperia as a unique attraction that stands out from the crowd and gives not only Thorpe but UK parks in general something not found elsewhere (outside Turkey and Australia I guess).

But, now I’ve been on it, do I think it was the right decision? Sadly, no, I don’t. The capacity is still far too low, the ride duration is still far too short, the trims on the splashdown absolutely kill the pacing through the last part of the layout, and quite frankly it’s just not the coaster it should or could be. I look at the offerings from B&M, and Vekoma, and Intamin (yes yes I know Intamin’s relationship with Merlin isn’t amazing right now) and just think any of those manufacturers could’ve provided something so much more impactful and thrilling from what is ostensibly the “UK’s thrill park”. B&M in particular would’ve provided nothing short of a capacity monster in a park that really could use it, and yes marketing it may have been a little bit more of a challenge but it could’ve been done.

As things stand, it doesn’t break into my top ten. And it isn’t even my favourite coaster in the UK - Nemesis still takes that spot.

Consistent ride reliability issues, Thirteen being the last straw. Merlin haven’t worked with Intamin on any project since to my knowledge.
With it being a while since Thirteen got installed and quite a few significant rollercoasters coming out from Intamin, I'd love to see Merlin give them a go again.

Whether that is a LSM launch coaster, a flume ride, rapids, a gyro swing or one of their tourbillons 🤔

I believed they co-manufactured Ghost Train at Thorpe Park (so 2015/2016), along with Simworx.
From what I understand Ghost Train is manufactured by a combination of Severn Lamb, Simworx and Intamin. Severn Lamb worked on the train aspect, Simworx on the motion platform and Intamin contracted to fabricate on other parts and consult on the project. [Citation Needed]

There is no animosity between Merlin and Intamin, most of the staff that worked on Thirteen have now left Merlin anyways. Merlin look at a combination of factors when selecting contractors to work with, most of which enthusiasts would find too boring to understand.

People on forums in general tend to spin narratives from what little information they have so when things happen, they falsely attribute information to which information, correct or not, be in the public realm.

As for steering the discussion back to Hyperia, this won't lead to any animosity between Merlin and Mack, ride openings are very complex and downtime should be expected in the first couple of seasons. These are business-minded people making practical decisions, not some cartoons with massive egos.