• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

I may have missed something, but what the hell is an SRL?

Anyway, does anyone know what happened to the whole plaza idea? Wasn't something said earlier in the thread that some garbage about safety was used as the excuse to cut the budget back? Similar to the nonsense excuse that cancelling the blended paint job and making the ride look like an ash tray instead was for "aesthetic" reasons other than financial?

With how this thing runs at the moment, I can't see the excuse to hide an inappropriately included trim brake run under the guise of a "splashdown" that no sod sees as being a lasting thing. Remember when Nemesis Inferno used to go through a volcano? It's spent the majority of its existence meandering through a damp corrugated shed after dropping out of the station. Wouldn't surprise me if we didn't see any water squirt out of Brake Runs rusty trims ever again after a season or two.

Gullivers started it!
The water splash on the Antelope woodie never even got built!
Just a strange bottoming out near the end.

Well then back to Hyperia. I get it if you're wanting the chance to re-ride, but otherwise no idea. Stupidly asked if it was OK for my son to re-ride Air at AT and was told "no" as he closed the empty seat. WTF. Benefits no-one. He should of just sat in the seat and closed the harness, but we're British and nice and so kindly asked.

If you don't have a SRL and the seat is free - give the gift!

Hmm...
In the world of tla's, isn't that usually a SRQ?
Pedantic semantic and all that.

Seems like what he meant in this context either way!

With how this thing runs at the moment, I can't see the excuse to hide an inappropriately included trim brake run under the guise of a "splashdown" that no sod sees as being a lasting thing. Remember when Nemesis Inferno used to go through a volcano? It's spent the majority of its existence meandering through a damp corrugated shed after dropping out of the station. Wouldn't surprise me if we didn't see any water squirt out of Brake Runs rusty trims ever again after a season or two.
I'll just leave this here...

From: https://x.com/DigitalDan7/status/1810694180777451923

And that's after 2 months of operation.

It appears that a 10 minute lift hill stoppage on Sunday made the news and has unfortunately been reported as the ride “breaking again”: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uks-tallest-rollercoaster-hyperia-grinds-33304243

I know that this was only a minor stoppage that was resolved quickly, but they really will have to hope that it runs flawlessly from here on out, or else the media will leap on every small issue to further the notion that it’s an unreliable ride.

It appears that a 10 minute lift hill stoppage on Sunday made the news and has unfortunately been reported as the ride “breaking again”: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uks-tallest-rollercoaster-hyperia-grinds-33304243

I know that this was only a minor stoppage that was resolved quickly, but they really will have to hope that it runs flawlessly from here on out, or else the media will leap on every small issue to further the notion that it’s an unreliable ride.

All they want is clicks.

Best to just ignore articles like this, sharing them is just generating clicks and fuelling the fire for future articles.

Well then back to Hyperia. I get it if you're wanting the chance to re-ride, but otherwise no idea. Stupidly asked if it was OK for my son to re-ride Air at AT and was told "no" as he closed the empty seat. WTF. Benefits no-one. He should of just sat in the seat and closed the harness, but we're British and nice and so kindly asked.

If you don't have a SRL and the seat is free - give the gift!

Towers has a no re-ride policy. Staff can't just break policy.

That concrete pit will start to really moulder if they don't keep on top of it and have the jets running. Lovely.

I think the park might want to contact the Media with a statement and a request to "Cease and Desist" as it isn't helpful. Just scaremongering on Hyperia.

All of this bad press isn't helping and I get the impression that the media is very quick to report on any and every theme park issue regardless... 🤔

Especially as it's running near flawlessly when it operates now even with occasional stoppages and delayed openings.

I think the park might want to contact the Media with a statement and a request to "Cease and Desist" as it isn't helpful. Just scaremongering on Hyperia.
The following headlines and article are entirely fictitious, and exist purely for educational and entertainment purposes. There is no validity to the claims made below.

ALTON TOWERS & THORPE PARK ORDER PRESS TO STOP REPORTING RIDE BREAKDOWNS

TERRIFYING THORPE THREATENS MEDIA

ALTON TOWERS DOESN'T WANT YOU KNOWING ABOUT THE SMILER CRASH

MERLIN'S MAGIC MUZZLE!

Merlin Entertainments, the theme park giant behind Alton Towers and Thorpe Park, has been accused of trying to silence the press over ride closures and breakdowns.

The company has reportedly sent cease and desist letters to several news outlets, warning them to stop reporting on these incidents or face legal action.

This has sparked outrage among theme park fans and consumer groups, who say Merlin is trying to cover up safety concerns and keep the public in the dark.

Merlin claims that the reports are "inaccurate and misleading," but critics say this is just an attempt to avoid bad publicity.

One disgruntled park-goer said, "Merlin is trying to pull a fast one on us. We have a right to know if the rides are safe before we shell out our hard-earned cash."

Is Merlin trying to cast a spell on the press? Or are they just trying to protect their reputation? You decide!

The following headlines and article are entirely fictitious, and exist purely for educational and entertainment purposes. There is no validity to the claims made below.

ALTON TOWERS & THORPE PARK ORDER PRESS TO STOP REPORTING RIDE BREAKDOWNS

TERRIFYING THORPE THREATENS MEDIA

ALTON TOWERS DOESN'T WANT YOU KNOWING ABOUT THE SMILER CRASH

MERLIN'S MAGIC MUZZLE!

Merlin Entertainments, the theme park giant behind Alton Towers and Thorpe Park, has been accused of trying to silence the press over ride closures and breakdowns.

The company has reportedly sent cease and desist letters to several news outlets, warning them to stop reporting on these incidents or face legal action.

This has sparked outrage among theme park fans and consumer groups, who say Merlin is trying to cover up safety concerns and keep the public in the dark.

Merlin claims that the reports are "inaccurate and misleading," but critics say this is just an attempt to avoid bad publicity.

One disgruntled park-goer said, "Merlin is trying to pull a fast one on us. We have a right to know if the rides are safe before we shell out our hard-earned cash."

Is Merlin trying to cast a spell on the press? Or are they just trying to protect their reputation? You decide!
Hahaha 😂😂😂 Definitely sounds about right in one of those scenarios 😅

Hahaha 😂😂😂 Definitely sounds about right in one of those scenarios 😅
I need to stress that nothing is "about right" or true about anything I've written above.

Merlin do not try and cover up safety concerns. If an incident happens, even a minor stoppage, and the press ask about, it they always return comment.

I was trying to show you what would happen if Merlin did do as you suggested, and sent a Cease and Desist request to a media outlet. The press outlet would report on the cease and desist request and spin it.

"Please don't say that, or post that" always becomes "What are you hiding?", "If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about". Maxims that are hardly ever true, but still play out in our heads and the media.

I need to stress that nothing is "about right" or true about anything I've written above.

Merlin do not try and cover up safety concerns. If an incident happens, even a minor stoppage, and the press ask about, it they always return comment.

I was trying to show you what would happen if Merlin did do as you suggested, and sent a Cease and Desist request to a media outlet. The press outlet would report on the cease and desist request and spin it.

"Please don't say that, or post that" always becomes "What are you hiding?", "If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about". Maxims that are hardly ever true, but still play out in our heads and the media.
I know what you were saying in that post was purely hypothetical. Entertaining though with good points 😂

I was saying last time that I can certainly imagine this is what would play out if Merlin did send cease and desists.

There has been a magnifying glass on Hyperia a lot recently due to the initial teething issues and extended closure. This is probably why they're quick to report on a stoppage that lasted a few minutes at most.

Hopefully we won't hear as much bad press on Hyperia after this season. We'd probably forget about the issues come 2026 🤔

There is however, a number of incidents that have happened over the years that get very quietly sorted in court and never even make it to the wider press.

Unfortunately the media love these stories. Even when nothing really happens it's a nice easy clickbait article that they can often tie in to another bigger incident (I.e. Smiler or Hydro). They often get very disappointed when the result is no injury and everyone got on with their day like when Dipper derailed.

That's not rust. Is the water mains or from the lake? If it is lake then the quarry that has plenty of sediment of minerals mixed within it is the culprit. The issue is that the spray uses that water and is allowed to dry after finely being sprayed to the area. That then any minerals in the water are left and the process is repeated. Much like stalagmites and stalactites.

If I were thorpe I'd use either a water that's distilled/filtered with no mineral's or simply point the splashdown at 45 degrees away from the ride. Going straight up seems a bit silly personally.

That's not rust. Is the water mains or from the lake? If it is lake then the quarry that has plenty of sediment of minerals mixed within it is the culprit. The issue is that the spray uses that water and is allowed to dry after finely being sprayed to the area. That then any minerals in the water are left and the process is repeated. Much like stalagmites and stalactites.

If I were thorpe I'd use either a water that's distilled/filtered with no mineral's or simply point the splashdown at 45 degrees away from the ride. Going straight up seems a bit silly personally.
Oh yea clearly not rust (if it was then serious questions would have to be asked!), but whatever is causing it it is not a pretty sight for a 2 month old coaster! Imagine how worse it would look if that track section was white!