• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

I dont know how they fix this during the closed season?

Maybe a launch section of the bottom there to rock it if this happens again, and to check its got enough speed to get over the top of that element

Considering a) it nearly stalls every single morning b) it *has* stalled before; it would be disappointing from Thorpe if they don't have it open for tomorrow.
Perhaps that's a bit harsh but you'd expect them to have seen this coming and should have a plan in place to get it back up and running ASAP.

The colder weather and more consistent winds at this time of year were always going to be a risk. I was in the queue on Sunday late afternoon and they sent a couple of empty test runs which barely made it through the course.

On the other hand, maybe they won't reopen it all season as the risk of it happening again is too high.

A miscalculation on someone’s part this. We could all see it from the initial test runs. Plus the added weird obsession all new coasters have of taking elements as slow as possible to the point of stalling anyway.

Dangerous, even with all the safety measures in place to prevent collisions.

I guess worst case scenario is it happens with people on ride.
Because .. the speed they dispatch - you’re gonna have a second train on the lift .
Both get evacuated (fine) - remove the stalled train (fine).. but then you need to send the other one. Imagine that valleys as well. Nightmare .

As for taking the elements as slow as possible / that’s what makes the ride tbh.
But… external factors … a stalled car plan should’ve been designed as , as we can see, the likelyhood of it happening in the UK weather is fairly high.

The last thing we want is a ride that only operates may - august

Considering a) it nearly stalls every single morning b) it *has* stalled before; it would be disappointing from Thorpe if they don't have it open for tomorrow.
Perhaps that's a bit harsh but you'd expect them to have seen this coming and should have a plan in place to get it back up and running ASAP.

The colder weather and more consistent winds at this time of year were always going to be a risk. I was in the queue on Sunday late afternoon and they sent a couple of empty test runs which barely made it through the course.

On the other hand, maybe they won't reopen it all season as the risk of it happening again is too high.
Here's hoping that it's a fairly quick solution as the crane is next to it following last week's maintenance and with it being Fright Nights

It needs a more permanent solution and a train recovery plan to get it running promptly and safely.

It doesn't look good on the park if it stalls and goes down for days. Especially when it's non-identical twin coaster, Voltron was back up and running within a day of it stalling.

Think my chances of riding this before 2025 are now very slim. Was going to go at the start of next week if the weather dries up as they're the last 3 "quiet" days of the season but get the feeling it won't be open either way.

Whilst stalling is obviously not good it's not dangerous either. Yes a stall lead to The Smiler incident, but on a ride with just 2 train operation there's very little chance of the team misplacing a train. There's never going to be more than a few seconds in which one of the trains isn't in the station or brakes. You wouldn't restart the ride with both trains unaccounted for.

As for bringing the train back to the station unfortunately there isn't much more that they can do even with modifications. It'll take as long as it takes.
I can not see them installing a Voltron style boost for a number of reasons:
1. Hyperia is not a launched coaster, it likley doesn't have the components required on the train for a launch.
2. Similarly the ride doesn't have the transformers and other infrastructure required for a launch section.
3. It might not even work. That's a huge hill it would need to launch over. Even with multiple launches it'd still need to be capable of a high top speed.

Dangerous, even with all the safety measures in place to prevent collisions.
It really isn't especially with just 2 trains, yes it was the start of the smiler accident, but there have been a lot of improvments to procedure and with only 2 trains it is much harder to mis place a train.
Maybe a launch section of the bottom there to rock it if this happens again, and to check its got enough speed to get over the top of that element
nope, not really possible, most coaster undersides are full of brake fins, chain dogs, arb, magnetic brakes, seat electrical connections, etc and I would imagine installing the required hardware on the train would be dificult if not impossible to fit in with all the rest of the stuff.
It doesn't look good on the park if it stalls and goes down for days. Especially when it's non-identical twin coaster, Voltron was back up and running within a day of it stalling.
they are 2 different models, Hyperia and Voltron have different train designs which would probably complicate a lot of things, if it happens more I suspect they will try to improve the speed at which they can get it off (perhaps making custom lifting jigs to improve the response time and buy some lifting equipment able to lift the train and perminatly have it stationed their)
Worryingly. It was fully loaded with water dummy’s as well.
how full were the dummy's they could have been mostly empty if it did a couple laps and the water fell out.

if it happens more I suspect they will move to harder wheel compounds and get more long term equipment there to solve it.

Wheel warmers, like they have at F1 😉 I suppose once the train is off they can restart, and re-fit it at leisure. But I can see either Merlin or HSE allowing it to continue operating with it stalling so frequently. A stall at Fright Night, in the dark..... Well, some people will pay for the experience 😁

Release it faster (variable lift speed, more kinetic energy), provide some kind of boost (LIM for the middle cars), change wheel compounds??? I don't understand why you would design a near-stall situation on a non-LIM coaster (where you can check the speed and provide tiny boosts as required).... 🤔 But other than the wheels, it looks like some serious design changes.

They probably have a crane company on speed dial with how much they've needed cranes so far this season!

Clearly not good, but this will continue to happen when conditions allow for it. Not ideal for Thorpe Park.