• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Allegedly photos of the plan were shown at this consultation which may explain where the links to the Dubai coaster are coming from. More information is apparently coming on it tomorrow.

To be honest, although it would be nice to have a bespoke coaster, I’m more than happy with the tallest U.K. coaster as long as it’s themed well.

To be honest, although it would be nice to have a bespoke coaster, I’m more than happy with the tallest U.K. coaster as long as it’s themed well.

Im not bothered if it is themed well as long as it delivers a great ride experience. The DC Rivals hyper coaster didn’t have a huge amount of theming but was a really fun ride. Whereas Swarm at Thorpe has more theming but the ride is disappointing.

Attraction Source has a detailed write-up on the consultation session
https://www.attractionsource.com/2021/12/09/thorpe-park-resort-to-build-uks-tallest-roller-coaster/

They seem to think it might actually be an RMC.
To be fair, Jack Silkstone mentioned in his video that they were shown a concept image of an outer-banked turn between the station and lift hill. That's an element that some RMCs have...

Source:

Edit: Not confirmed, but I've heard reports that the high isn't actually set in stone and could be either 236ft or 246ft. Time will tell though.

Last edited:
An RMC would be my preferred choice. Wood is back in vogue after the success of Wickerman and an RMC taking the height record would be extremely marketable and unique.

I guess we could find out tomorrow. I wouldn't put my money on anything.

You'd like to think so but look at The Smiler, which could've had a lap restraint. We all know Merlin like to be cautious.

Genuine question: is it caution or just the illusion of caution? I'm not clued up about restraints but I've always assumed lap bars are just as safe as OTS, otherwise no inverting coasters would have lap bars. Isn't it more about making the riders feel like they're safer?

An RMC would be my preferred choice. Wood is back in vogue after the success of Wickerman and an RMC taking the height record would be extremely marketable and unique.
For what it's worth, it was apparently confirmed to be a steel coaster at the consultation.

I'm thinking Mack Hyper myself, for sure. The thing that gives it away for me is the "similar ride in Turkey" they're doing noise tests on; of the potential manufacturers, only Mack has a vaguely similar ride operating in Turkey. And if they were building a ride from a different manufacturer, why would they do noise tests on a Mack?

I do wonder if an RMC taking the height record would get permission. From what I understand Stealth was both painted white and the top and built with a minimal strucutre compared to the other Intamin accelerators so that it didn't obscure the skyline too much for the locals. I don't know how much truth there is to that but as I've said previously I'd say it's likely the new coaster will also be painted white. I imagine an RMC with its dense structure might be considered to be obstructing views.

I think an RMC would've been a good choice for Thorpe and maybe something they will look at in the future however I don't think this is an RMC.

An RMC makes sense given the longer construction time they would need for a ride if this scale.

Im not bothered if it is themed well as long as it delivers a great ride experience. The DC Rivals hyper coaster didn’t have a huge amount of theming but was a really fun ride. Whereas Swarm at Thorpe has more theming but the ride is disappointing.

I'm wondering if Merlin will have the confidence to release a major new attraction without some kind of dark/scary theme attached. Saw, Swarm, DBGT, Black Mirror Labyrinth... they seem to feel that the best way to get the teen/YA audience in is to market it as terrifying even if it's not (not saying Thorpe are the only ones guilty of this coughth13teencough) and I'm interested to see if the changes at the top lately have changed their view on that. Even Wickerman and to an extent Croc Drop have horror themes.

Like you, I'd rather they focus on the ride than theming but I don't think Merlin will go down that route.

An RMC makes sense given the longer construction time they would need for a ride if this scale.
I'm not sure that's entirely true though. Zadra at Energlandia flew up and was even blown over in a storm. It opened just a few months later. It's height is 62.8m or 206ft. Although I suppose with the possible planning stage that theory could prove to be correct.

I'm not saying they're going to build an RMC. The Thorpe thread is dominated with dreams of 250ft plus B&M hypers as if it was a forgone conclusion. It looks unlikely it'll be an RMC but it would have been my first choice from a unique experience perspective. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed with a Mack hyper, it would be a great coaster choice. But for the sake of a few hours I wouldn't say anyone is "sure". All we do know is there's a 235ft coaster proposed to be built in Old Town.

I'm not saying they're going to build an RMC. The Thorpe thread is dominated with dreams of 250ft plus B&M hypers as if it was a forgone conclusion. It looks unlikely it'll be an RMC but it would have been my first choice from a unique experience perspective. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed with a Mack hyper, it would be a great coaster choice. But for the sake of a few hours I wouldn't say anyone is "sure". All we do know is there's a 235ft coaster proposed to be built in Old Town.
My apologies @Matt.GC I read your posts wrong. Reading them back you were clearly stating that you didn't think it would happen but that it would've been your first choice. To some extend I agree although I do think my first choice would have been a B&M hyper. I'm not disappointed by the prospect of a Mack hyper though.

That's very true; Mack Hyper was just my personal deduction based on the fact that they're doing noise tests on a "similar ride in Turkey", and B&M, Intamin, nor RMC or anyone else operates a 200ft+ hyper coaster in Turkey, whereas Mack has the Land of Legends ride.

Although I was wrong about the B&M Hyper prediction, so I'm open to surprises! Apologies @Matt.GC; I think I misread you there...

Personally, my first choice was a B&M Hyper, but I must admit I'm pretty chuffed with the outcome we've gotten!

We don't actually know if you are wrong yet Matt, the manufacturer hasn't been revealed yet. Although it's heavily rumoured to be Mack it was also heavily rumoured to be B&M just 24 hours ago.
That is true, but I'm not personally too confident in it being a B&M after today's evidence. From the description we've been given, it sounds a bit too radical to be B&M, and B&M also don't have any rides in Turkey.

We don't actually know if you are wrong yet Matt, the manufacturer hasn't been revealed yet. Although it's heavily rumoured to be Mack it was also heavily rumoured to be B&M just 24 hours ago.
This is true. No need for apologies, I understand you're both excited. I'm just stating what we do actually know for sure.

Not sure what coaster manufacturers have installations in Turkey, but they wouldn't need to be hypers to generate the same noise. They usually say "similar". An RMC of half the size would generate similar noise levels, a Mack Mega would generate similar to a Hyper, any large B&M sit down would generate similar noises to a hyper. There's more variables in the surrounding landscape in terms of noise than height. I'm sure Nemesis Inferno makes almost identical sounds to Nemesis, despite the height differences. I'm the sure the pit however makes a substantial difference.

This is true. No need for apologies, I understand you're both excited. I'm just stating what we do actually know for sure.

Not sure what coaster manufacturers have installations in Turkey, but they wouldn't need to be hypers to generate the same noise. They usually say "similar". An RMC of half the size would generate similar noise levels, a Mack Mega would generate similar to a Hyper, any large B&M sit down would generate similar noises to a hyper. There's more variables in the surrounding landscape in terms of noise than height. I'm sure Nemesis Inferno makes almost identical sounds to Nemesis, despite the height differences. I'm the sure the pit however makes a substantial difference.
Yes your correct about noise levels. Mack have produced a hyper coaster of similar scale in Turkey. Creativley known as Hyper Coaster at Land of Legends. RCDB link: https://rcdb.com/14440.htm
In fact, if the Thorpe one is a Flash clone, then this will have the exact same layout I believe.