• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Not sure what coaster manufacturers have installations in Turkey, but they wouldn't need to be hypers to generate the same noise. They usually say "similar". An RMC of half the size would generate similar noise levels, a Mack Mega would generate similar to a Hyper, any large B&M sit down would generate similar noises to a hyper. There's more variables in the surrounding landscape in terms of noise than height. I'm sure Nemesis Inferno makes almost identical sounds to Nemesis, despite the height differences. I'm the sure the pit however makes a substantial difference.
That is a fair point; maybe they're looking at rides with a similar noise level?

I do remember it being said, however, that at the consultation, they said that the noise test was "on a similar ride in Turkey". Not a ride generating a similar noise level, a similar ride. I know it seems odd that I'm fixating on very minor wording here, so apologies if I'm coming across a bit pedantic, but I do think it's the sort of thing that may help us piece together the puzzle of who the manufacturer might be.

My rationale is also that noise comparisons are usually done on coasters of the same (or a similar) ride type; they wouldn't want to be seen to be misleading the council with a noise test from a ride by a different manufacturer, and besides, it's par for the course within planning applications for Merlin coasters. For instance, Wicker Man's noise comparisons were done on Ozark Wildcat and Kentucky Rumbler (two fellow GCIs), Smiler's noise comparisons were done on Saw The Ride (a very similar Gerstlauer coaster; there were no Infinity Coasters to cross-reference at the time as it was the first), and the Chessington wing coaster's noise comparison appears to have been done on Raptor at Gardaland.
Yes your correct about noise levels. Mack have produced a hyper coaster of similar scale in Turkey. Creativley known as Hyper Coaster at Land of Legends. RCDB link: https://rcdb.com/14440.htm
In fact, if the Thorpe one is a Flash clone, then this will have the exact same layout I believe.
Flash isn't tall enough for this to be a clone; Flash is only 200ft tall, while this will be 236ft tall. It could well be an upscaled Flash clone, but not an exact clone.
P.S. Sorry for being so annoyingly pedantic this evening... I'll shut up now.

If this does turn out to be a Mack, does this mean the rumoured 3 b&m deal could be Chessington, Nemesis and SW9
Quite possibly! Or how about Chessington, Nemesis V2 and a ride at one of Merlin's foreign properties?

That's if there is a B&M deal within the RTPs at all... Chessington's coaster could well have slipped out from the Legoland deal, which would admittedly make a lot of sense given that one of the Chinese Legolands is missing its family launch coaster compared to the others. As much as I think a deal of some description between Merlin and B&M would make sense given the sheer quantity of B&Ms that have been bought for the Legolands in China, the idea of a separate deal for the UK RTPs was based mostly on conjecture, as far as I can tell.

Nemesis V2 could have been spearheaded as a standalone project; I think it would have likely been planned regardless of Merlin's dealings with B&M, and it would be a retrack as opposed to a wholely new ride.

That is a fair point; maybe they're looking at rides with a similar noise level?

I do remember it being said, however, that at the consultation, they said that the noise test was "on a similar ride in Turkey". Not a ride generating a similar noise level, a similar ride. I know it seems odd that I'm fixating on very minor wording here, so apologies if I'm coming across a bit pedantic, but I do think it's the sort of thing that may help us piece together the puzzle of who the manufacturer might be.

My rationale is also that noise comparisons are usually done on coasters of the same (or a similar) ride type; they wouldn't want to be seen to be misleading the council with a noise test from a ride by a different manufacturer, and besides, it's par for the course within planning applications for Merlin coasters. For instance, Wicker Man's noise comparisons were done on Ozark Wildcat and Kentucky Rumbler (two fellow GCIs), Smiler's noise comparisons were done on Saw The Ride (a very similar Gerstlauer coaster; there were no Infinity Coasters to cross-reference at the time as it was the first), and the Chessington wing coaster's noise comparison appears to have been done on Raptor at Gardaland.

Flash isn't tall enough for this to be a clone; Flash is only 200ft tall, while this will be 236ft tall. It could well be an upscaled Flash clone, but not an exact clone.
P.S. Sorry for being so annoyingly pedantic this evening... I'll shut up now.
Ah, but if the purpose is noise tests, then any B&M sit down is "similar" to a hyper the same way that a Gerst Eurofighter is similar to an Infinity. Now I'm being pedantic myself so I'll also shut up now.

On a different subject, an interesting detail from Thorpe's recent video on Facebook briefly talking about the new coaster has been picked up on by Oaroc over on CoasterForce:
IMG-5580.jpg

When Emily discusses Creek Freak Massacre and the Buckwheats, the video flashes to a newspaper... where "exodus" is a word briefly mentioned within it, in a section talking about the Buckwheats.

With this project being Project Exodus, I thought this was interesting... could they be pulling our leg, or could this ride's theming have some link to Creek Freak Massacre?

The splash zone is still making me think B&M. There are many B&M's with splash downs, Diamondback being one of their hypers with a splash down that comes to mind, and no Mack's with them as far as I know. Do B&M's really make much different noise to Mack's? "Similar ride" could just mean Hyper with inversions, and as there aren't any B&M hypers with inversions yet that is the closest thing. I'm happy either way but I wouldn't rule out any manufacturer just yet.

Last edited:
More interested in the Curly Fry Enthusiast story tbh. Teases that they are.

Any of the rumoured coasters would be a positive. However already I can feel its going to be a very long 2 years.

It's going to be interesting to see what is actually 'revealed' today on the new website.

I fail to believe they haven't paired up with a manufacturer yet. Confirmation that they sent a team to 'A similar coaster in Turkey', obviously narrows it down to Hypercoaster in Land of Legends. Why would you send a team to inspect a Mack Hypercoaster for noise, if you weren't building a Mack Hypercoaster?

B&M? Go look at Shambhala
RMC? Go look at Untamed

With the whole 'Project Exodus' theme fitting into the old town? It just gives me Cowboys & Aliens VIBES for some reason. Probably wide of the mark but an 'Alien Abduction' theme where you are in the old town, a western themed area, and enter the station of this new coaster and have been 'abducted'.

Going to be an interested journey following this. Exciting times for sure.

Finally caught up on all of the discussion. First of all, isn't this all rather exciting! Whatever it turns out to be, I hope it gets permission as a UK record height coaster for Thorpe is perfect for them and for every UK based enthusiast.

So, what could it be?

Well if it is true that it was said this will have inversions we can likely rule out B&M. I also do not see this being an RMC for a whole host of reasons.

So that likely leaves us with Mack, Intamin, Vekoma and Gerstlauer.

Mack is probably the favourite, especially if they have hinted at using Hyper Coaster in Turkey as a comparison for noise levels. However I really do not think that this will be the Mack that was/is going to Dubai. That all seems to have come from one unsubstantiated Tweet. Thorpe would not be saying that they are still in discussions with manufacturers and have not finalised on a layout if they had bought a pre-built coaster. And that coaster is thought to be a Flash clone, which is not the correct height.

Intamin and Vekoma are both realistic manufactuers who have not really been mentioned. Both would offer a 200ft+ coaster with inversions, and I would actually love to see this as a Vekoma! Gerstlauer are possible but less likely I feel.

We might get more clues as the day progresses, but it is more likely that we get more solid news in 2022.

Gerstlauer are possible but less likely I feel.
Post-Smiler, I can’t imagine Merlin ever working with Gerst again. Not that the incident was in any way at all the manufacturers fault, as has been shown, but the PR damage is done - if Merlin ever built a Gerst, all the media would concentrate on is “Merlin build new ride from same manufacturer as one that crashed!!!!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post-Smiler, I can’t imagine Merlin ever working with Gerst again. Not that the incident was in any way at all the manufacturers fault, as has been shown, but the PR damage is done - if Merlin ever built a Gerst, all the media would concentrate on is “Merlin build new ride from same manufacturer as one that crashed!!!!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good point and I would agree!

Intamin and Vekoma are both realistic manufactuers who have not really been mentioned. Both would offer a 200ft+ coaster with inversions, and I would actually love to see this as a Vekoma! Gerstlauer are possible but less likely I feel.
I can't see it being Vekoma even though I would love to see what vekoma could do with a hyper coaster. I think this because we just haven't seen Merlin work with vekoma for such a long time and I also don't think Merlin would trust Vekoma to build such a big ride. I feel they'd go with someone who is already very tried and tested at the concept. I don't think Merlin can afford for this to fail so it needs to be done perfectly. To me that leaves B&M and Mack.