• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

With them going for height, I don't think it was ever going to be overly long. My main disappointment at the moment is the apparant lack of airtime elements from such a tall coaster, but it is far too early to cast full judgement.

This is really going to change how Saw feels, it looks absolutely puny in the concept art and will lose a lot of its trees.
Not sure how I feel about this coaster, looks tall and I'm sure it'll ride well but I'm in agreement with Rob, it seems like a wasted opportunity for this not to have a bit more focus on airtime. I assume they are envisioning removing Colossus at some point in the near-mid future so maybe they had that half in mind when developing this to be inversion heavy?

Edit: Looks like only the two inversions?

Not au-fait with new rollercoaster element terminology but that large outbanked turnaround does look like it could be rather insane.

Also, a near 200ft dive loop into a splashdown is definitely a new one to me...

Last edited:
Does seem a bit small to only use the Loggers Leap site, feels like a wasted oppourtunity to build airtime hills out along the old railway track towards Nemesis.It might have the height, but don't think it will do much will all that energy?

This looks good, what's there will undoubtedly ride sensationally, but it's very much built for sheer impact. I'd envisioned something a little more decentralised and 'out and back' to take advantage of the environment, as well as a longer coaster, frankly. It'll hit those brakes with enough energy spare to cause a surge through Chertsey.

Still, will be a hit that the park desperately need, and that aerial photo on the site's landing page is beautiful!

Looks like the UK version of Steel Curtain, but thankfully made by a more reliable manufacturer...

FGPIWzqWQAAzM9_
FGPIWzoWYAU2361
FGPIWztXwAYnJ6R
FGPIW0fXwAACyPA

Last edited:
Isn't the idea of building a tall hyper coaster to actually use the speed gained from that height for a long and adventurous layout?

I think this looks like it will have a couple of fun elements, but will hit the break run before it really has a chance to do anything. It looks like a post-lift duration of less than 30 seconds, which is unfathomably short for a hyper coaster.

It looks like a hyper coaster by definition, but really, not a hyper coaster. It's compact, doesn't take you anywhere outside of its self-contained area, and very very short. I was hoping for a ride that actually takes you somewhere, on a journey, with a decent length and some tall hills.

As well as it not really fitting the bill of a hyper, the other issue is that Thorpe really needed a long and impressive coaster to balance the short coasters already at the park. This adds to the problem as it will potentially have a shorter duration than even Swarm?

It feels like this is the bare minimum Thorpe could have gotten away with to get the UK's height record. It looks like a layout that's been designed just to get the height record, rather than to be a decent coaster.

Can't help but feel they could've used the area better but can't complain too much with some Mack nonsense.

It is at Thorpe though. Can't change that.

Thorpe would not be saying that they are still in discussions with manufacturers and have not finalised on a layout if they had bought a pre-built coaster.

Chessington said the same in their planning document for the ride when they knew exactly what they were getting and who they were getting it from. This is just planning guff to give the impression that the consultation is meaningful and will be used to shape the ride, when the reality is the ride is already shaped by a manufacturer they know.

Isn't the idea of building a tall hyper coaster to actually use the speed gained from that height for a long and adventurous layout?

I think this looks like it will have a couple of fun elements, but will hit the break run before it really has a chance to do anything. It looks like a post-lift duration of less than 30 seconds, which is unfathomably short for a hyper coaster.

It looks like a hyper coaster by definition, but really, not a hyper coaster. It's compact, doesn't take you anywhere outside of its self-contained area, and very very short. I was hoping for a ride that actually takes you somewhere, on a journey, with a decent length and some tall hills.

As well as it not really fitting the bill of a hyper, the other issue is that Thorpe really needed a long and impressive coaster to balance the short coasters already at the park. This adds to the problem as it will potentially have a shorter duration than even Swarm?

It feels like this is the bare minimum Thorpe could have gotten away with to get the UK's height record. It looks like a layout that's been designed just to get the height record, rather than to be a decent coaster.

Yeah having actually seen the layout I am feeling very disappointed. This won't actually add anything new to the line-up at Thorpe really.

Yes can't judge everything from these pictures and plans but overall it might just too similar to Saw and Swarm rather than offering a "proper" hypercoaster.

Chessington said the same in their planning document for the ride when they knew exactly what they were getting and who they were getting it from. This is just planning guff to give the impression that the consultation is meaningful and will be used to shape the ride, when the reality is the ride is already shaped by a manufacturer they know.

Now I've seen all of the plans as well as the fact that they wish to submit a planning application in early 2022 I agree. They will have a manufacturer (Mack) and this will be the layout bar possible minor changes.

So it's a 'hyper' coaster in the very loosest sense then.....ergh!

Better than nothing but what a waste of an opportunity. The park needs an out and back airtime machine.

Feel a bit disappointed now I have seen those more detailed plans but this is Thorpe so I don't think we should be surprised.

Could this be a Vekoma - just thinking the supports don’t look really Mack.

this just doesn’t look great st all in my opinion

Last edited:
Could this be a Vekoma - just thinking the supports don’t look really Mack.

this just doesn’t look great st all in my opinion
At the stage, the most likely candidates are Mack, Intamin and Vekoma. My money is on Mack though personally.

I get hints of a Mack Big Dipper at a supervised scale. I think it'll have regular Mega Coaster trains but probably ride more like one of those than a Hyper.
Yeah it looks more of a super-sized Mack Mega than a Hyper.