• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

I wonder how stretchy the height restrictions actually are? I know Walking Dead is artificially inflated, but I've always wondered if the minimum MINIMUM height restrictions on say, B&M inverts, are actually lower than those chosen to be used.

I know in other countries rides with identical seat and harness designs to rides we have here can have lower restrictions.

It’s interesting that they decided to stick with 1.3 because I’m sure it’ll have many guests confused. They’ll take their 1.3 kid on the tallest biggest and fastest ride in the country only to find out they can’t go on any of the smaller coasters🫤
I assume this is less to do with the ride experience and more to do with the design of the restraints. The older coasters at Thorpe mostly have OTSRs which require a 1.4 height restriction in order to keep the rider safely restrained.

I guess it could be confusing for children, but really height restrictions should be based on safety alone and not age appropriateness.

I wonder how stretchy the height restrictions actually are? I know Walking Dead is artificially inflated, but I've always wondered if the minimum MINIMUM height restrictions on say, B&M inverts, are actually lower than those chosen to be used.

I know in other countries rides with identical seat and harness designs to rides we have here can have lower restrictions.
Apologies for double post!

B&M inverts are often 1.3 in Europe but both Nemmy and Inferno are 1.4, never quite understood why this is the case but I've assumed it's due to more stringent H&S guidelines in the UK. Logically they should be the same everywhere if it's the same ride type and seat design.

Apologies for double post!

B&M inverts are often 1.3 in Europe but both Nemmy and Inferno are 1.4, never quite understood why this is the case but I've assumed it's due to more stringent H&S guidelines in the UK. Logically they should be the same everywhere if it's the same ride type and seat design.
Same goes for Saw. Aren’t Speed and Rage both 1.2m

I know that there would be at least a tiny bit of wiggle room with the B&Ms, as many American B&Ms have 54”/1.37m height restrictions.

I know this is likely more down to Americans typically using imperial units rather than metric units, and I know that Merlin would be unlikely to change to 1.37m as it’s not a very round number in metric units, but I think it’s worth noting nonetheless.

I think some of the American B&Ms with vest restraints may even have 1.3m height restrictions, if I’m remembering rightly.

Think you might be right because just seen on the restrictions that Saw and Walking dead have 13+ age restrictions (not that they follow this it’s probably just a recommendation)
Although that doesn’t really factor in how tall kids are really. Chimpy was 1.4m when she was 8. She is tall but by no means a giant so age 13 and 1.4m don’t really correlate

Although that doesn’t really factor in how tall kids are really. Chimpy was 1.4m when she was 8. She is tall but by no means a giant so age 13 and 1.4m don’t really correlate
I was small for my age when I reached 1.4m, and this happened at the age of 10. There obviously will be some who turn 1.4m at the age of 13, but very few.

Looks like an American car park coaster to me. Will be interesting to ride it when it opens but won’t be rushing down there.

Seems like it will lack theming.

It does seem rather like the park keep putting out 45-second videos, which show the entire actual ride time from the top of the lift to the brake-run. I think it's safe to say this will be a rather... short... experience.
Unlike this forum's favourite ride Nemesis which lasts practically the same?

In fact I just checked the length with some YouTube videos and it's around 45 seconds from the moment it descends from the lift hill (the point these Hyperia promotional videos start) until the break run begins, so it's exactly the same.

Unlike this forum's favourite ride Nemesis which lasts practically the same?

In fact I just checked the length with some YouTube videos and it's around 45 seconds from the moment it descends from the lift hill (the point these Hyperia promotional videos start) until the break run begins, so it's exactly the same.
Difference is, they had plenty of space to build a longer layout. Not sure Alton could have done a massive amount more than they did.

It’s a fair point though. Will be interesting if we get off thinking it’s too short. I don’t get that feeling with Nemesis. I wish The Smiler was shorter!