• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Oh I wasn't saying that it looks good lol (though of course that is subjective). Just that I find it difficult to believe it was a purely budgetary decision. The columns are painted, are painted with two colours. It's just simply that rather than being blended, it's a harsh change between the two colours - the uplift to blend would've been minimal.
Blending would still be an additional cost, likely requiring specific measurements and also artists. It’s cheaper even if not by a huge amount

Big mistake on their part! I don't understand why they are doing this on their biggest ever investment / attraction. For their new flagship coaster you would think they wouldn't butcher the aesthetics so bad.

This is a multi-million pound coaster - the cost of blending two different colours in a gradient over hard stops is literal peanuts in the scope of the whole project.

100% a creative decision.
Idk, a gradient would likely have to be individually painted onto the supports whereas block colours are presumably sprayed on ‘in bulk’ the factory? I’d bet there’s a 6 figure saving in labour there, especially if the manufacturer would want a markup on that labour.

Using thorpe parks own timeline for targets we can try and get a understanding of when this coaster might open because when it's flying up in front of us it's easy to say it'll be ready sooner than it will be.

Thorpe have set the target of 80 days for vertical construction and it first went vertical on October 9th, so if they meet the target Hyperia should be fully erected by 28th of December, so before the end of the year hopefully.

The next target is then 78 days for mechanical and electrical installation, which brings us to March 15th 2024 (not long before the start of the season).

However there will be a minimum of 27.5 days of commissioning/testing which means we should be seeing the ride testing by the start of the season and if all goes to plan Hyperia Should be ready by April 11th 2024.

So it might not be ready by Easter break but it should be ready before May half term at least.

It was/is supposed to open in March, and seems like good progress is being made. Swarm tested for the first time in January I believe, and opened along with the park in March. There could be a month or so delay on this one, but also possibly not.

Sorry if it’s a stupid question but is this the tallest element of the coaster aside from the top of lift hill?

And is this on the opposite side of the coaster to the start of the lift hill?

thanks

Well. They’ve topped it!

The overbanked turned is complete :)

IMG_3322.jpeg

IMG_3325.jpeg

IMG_3321.jpeg

As I’m posting this now they’re still working on it. Not an easy job at that height!

That looks like an amazing element. I must admit that I have been looking forward to Hyperia quite a bit more lately.

Sorry if it’s a stupid question but is this the tallest element of the coaster aside from the top of lift hill?

And is this on the opposite side of the coaster to the start of the lift hill?

thanks
Yes and yes. This is the tallest non-lift element at 165ft, and the lift hill begins on the other side of the site.

Forgot to add my "TowersStreet" photo.

Hyperia meets Saw the ride

hyperia31stoctober2023-81.jpg