• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Strong disagree with that statement. Colossus is hardly an Intamin masterpiece and Intamin have produced a lot of 'meh' mid-tier coasters over the years. Likewise Inferno is a very by the numbers B&M. Saw fair play but you completely ignored Swarm that was once again a B&M.
Whereas all of Mack's Megacoasters are good to great rides and from what I hear Ride to Happiness is absolutely phenomenal. Choosing Mack is hardly going south.
Yeah I second this. Within the industry, Mack are regarded as one of the 'gold tier' manufacturers if you will. If you want exceptional safety, reliability, maintainability and overall attraction quality. Then Mack is a brand you would go with. Even Intiman do not fall on into the gold tier category, their attraction's vary too much in the above mentioned areas, to be regarded like that. It goes without saying that B&M are also regarded within the industry as being a gold tier manufacturer. The others are not.

So if anything, it would be a factually correct statement to say that this new investment is keeping with their last coaster investment in 2012, by building a gold tier attraction aka the best of the best within the above mentioned areas. Remember we are not talking about layouts and what not, as the park can very much influence that as much as the manufacturer. We are talking strictly about a company based on the metrics of safety, reliability, maintainability and overall attraction quality.
I wasn’t slating the mentioned manufacturers. I like most of them, yeah I forgot B&M. I speak from experience as the only Mack coasters I’ve rode are their powered ones (RMT, Flying Fish, Scorpion Express) so they’re not exactly the highest thrilling ones.

Mack make some great coasters. They are a very solid manufacturer and their restraints and car designs are some of the best around. The only issue I have with them is that their launches aren’t the most powerful but obviously that’s not an issue here.
Maybe some of their rides have got a little bit of a rattle after a few years but we certainly aren’t talking about anything like Gerstache here.

I do find it funny though that someone would base their opinion of an upcoming hyper coaster on some powered coasters by the same manufacturer that are a third of a century old. Go and get yourself on Icon or Storm Chaser to give yourself a little bit more of an idea what modern Mack rides are like and even those will be very different to their hypers.

Last edited:
RTH's launches still aren't that powerful. If it wasn't for the free-spinning nature that makes it balls-to-the-wall crazy, it'd probably be a mid-tier coaster.

Beyond the Cloud looks to be the only Mack with an actual punchy launch.

Ride layout?

Matters far more than the manufacturer. Mack I would say is an improvement on some rides at Thorpe.

Does it though? Playing devils advocate here but yes, I guess in some aspects it does.

But in other aspects, the best ride layout in the world is totally irrelevant if the ride is never open due to maintenance issues and or is inherently unsafe. Equally, you can have the most reliable and safe ride in the world that has the most boring layout. I guess it comes down to finding the balance.

I've only heard good things about DC Rivals so looking forward to Exodus.

Just a pity about the overall length of it.