• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

55,000 people at Europa-Park...

AstroDan

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
Europa-Park: The blockbuster day

It’s rare I write a trip report for a visit to what has become Europe’s largest theme park after Disneyland Paris. As a frequent visitor, I never tend to feel it necessary or warranted as my views on the resort are well documented. Yet tonight, I feel compelled to share my experiences of Europa-Park from yesterday, Saturday 1st November 2014.

For many theme parks in Europe, yesterday was the final Saturday of the summer season. Indeed, this was the case for Europa-Park – which has in fact just closed its doors for the final time before the winter season begins in a little less than 3 weeks. The final week of the season, known as ‘Festival Week’ at Europa-Park, tends to be a busy one. The park bring in major concerts free of charge every night for park guests, a medieval market, Horror Nights for thrill seekers in the evening, a spooky night time Halloween parade and a fair bit more. Yesterday, however, saw something I have never seen before. According to the owners of our hotel and friends in the know, Europa-Park welcomed 55,000 people into the theme park.

Never before have I seen the queues of Silver Star, Eurosat and the creperie merge into one and never before have I seen the closing time extended to 9.30pm. Indeed, Europa-Park was open yesterday for 12 ½ hours and the biggest rollercoasters didn’t shut down until after 10.00pm.

The park was a hive of activity. I will explain some of the things that began to creak under the pressure later. But one thing that didn’t creak under the strain? Rides. You might think that queues must have been beyond belief – but no. Aside from a small number, queues remained satisfactory. Eurosat hit 45 minutes. Silver Star hit 50 minutes. Pegasus hit 30 minutes. Such are the throughputs and such is the absence of any form of fastrack, the queuelines still move swiftly and this is why Europa-Park managed it yesterday. Certainly, some queues were long – Blue Fire briefly tipped over 100 minutes and Wodan was similar. Arthur, the new ride, was consistently around 80-90 minutes all day. Those aside, however, and the picture was fairly rosy – with no other ride going beyond 1 hour all day. Such was the operation that even with a capacity crowd – we managed the following rides during the day:
  • Pegasus x 3
  • Poseidon
  • Euro-Mir
  • Crazy Taxi
  • Fjord Rafting
  • Blue Fire
  • Wodan x 2
  • Alpenexpress
  • Tyrol Log Flume
  • Columbus Dinghy
  • Feria Swing
  • Arthur x 2
  • Silver Star
  • Eurosat
  • Jungfrau-Gleterscherflieger
  • Universe of Energy
  • The Secret of Balthasar Castle 4D
  • Brothers Grimm Library
…not bad, eh? And we weren’t rushing.

Europa-Park were quick to react. An extra DJ Bobo concert was added. Small concessionary food and drink outlets sprang up. The moment that the park revealed it was closing at 9.30pm – an exceptionally rare occurrence, it became clear that they were exceptionally busy. We heard that the entrance to the park had been closed to further guests (although can’t officially verify this).

Of course, in spite of the way the park handled the occasion, it did creak in a few areas – as any park would. Food and beverage queues were long – especially during the lunch peak. We waited some time for service at the Rock café in Germany. Tables were in short supply. Pathways – especially around Greece, Italy and France were solid with people. Some queue lines simply weren’t long enough to cope with the number of guests in them. But watching the spectacle unfold was truly amazing. And of course, by the last hour or two? Queuelines began to die down. The waiting time for Wodan at 9.30pm was only 25 minutes.

So, in summary – impressive. Possibly insane. Of course, I would never recommend you go to Europa-Park on these sorts of days because of course, the pathways were very busy and some queues did get very long during the day. But when you read of the horror stories at some other parks around the UK and Europe (naming no names here) – you realise just watch the absence of fastrack, a flexible approach to closing times and a focus on throughputs can do to improve your day.

I am glad to have seen the park in this way. What’s the moral? Even at capacity – Eurosat, 40 minutes.

Cheers, Roland!

MOTHER OF WARDLEY!

55 THOUSAND. The prospect of THORPE at 10k makes my eyes water.

I know it is a big park, but that ride count for a day like that is frankly insulting and at the same time, erotic. :D

It's astounding and truly impressive how the park managed with the amount of visitors. The rides did exceptionally well in handling queues via staff throughputs and nothing ever cracked, even including the food and beverage places who probably had the slowest queues/waits overall. It proves that Europa Park does handle guests very well in comparison to other parks in Europe but I also wouldn't recommend going on a high peak day especially if you're a new visitor and you, like me, doesn't like the added stress of queueing among and walking through large crowds.

55,000? God o' mighty. That attendance alone is more than some of the smaller UK theme parks get in a whole year! :p

Despite the park being full to the brim Saturday at Europa Park was up there with the midnight opening earlier in the year as one of my most enjoyable theme park days ever. I just love seeing how an incredibly busy park copes with the exceptional crowds.

Saturday was mad, the idea of 55,000 people being there is crazy. Certainly not ideal if it's your first visit or only visit of the year. Maybe I didn't mind it as much as it was my third trip there this year. I have never seen crowds like it to be honest. Some of the pathways were too full. The queues for food at lunch were very long. But any park in the world that hits capacity is going to experience exactly the same issues.

The amount of rides we managed to get on was astounding and like Dan says we were not rushing at all. We had several stops for drinks, enjoyed a relaxing breakfast in France early on and had a lovely look around all the little side shows/attractions in the Enchanted Forest amoungst other things.

This really is a testament to the park's operations. Queues were constantly moving. Despite Silver Star's queue being way out of the entrance over towards EuroSat it was only 50 minutes (and truth be the staff/guests were not being overly efficient loading the trains). We raced through an extremely long Sat queue. And when a park has as many rides as Europa there are always smaller attractions to do which have no queue. I do not think any other park would cope with a capacity crowds as well as EP did on Saturday in terms of ride operations.

I also have to mention the car parks. These were obviously full meaning that cars were being parked all over the place. Not only were they on fields behind the main car parks but on fields all the way around to Wodan. I wish I could have got a photo as it was quite something.

Finally, we decided to try and work out how much money the park would make on a day like Saturday. If you assume an average gate price of €38 (less than standard adult entry and takes annual pass holders into account) an an average guest spend per head of €20 (chances are it is more for such a long day) then you have revenue of €3,190,000. Then if you assume overheads for the day at around €500,000 - €600,000 you have a basic profit of over €2,500,000 (I'm not sure what happens with regards to tax in Germany). That doesn't even take into account revenue from car parking and the hotels. Not bad for one day, these are the days that theme parks live for! And the best thing about it all? There are no shareholders pocket's for the money to end up in, most will be re-invested back into the park one way or another.

Simply incredible, as Dan said thank you Roland, the rest of the Macks and all of the park's staff!

:)

Given that is does utilise some park real estate, how do Europa integrate THN into the park when closing is extended until nearly 10PM?

Given that is does utilise some park real estate, how do Europa integrate THN into the park when closing is extended until nearly 10PM?

If Horror Nights is on, the Greek rides queues close at 7.00pm. Beyond this time, access to Greece is reserved exclusively for holders of HN tickets.

Matterhorn Blitz, which was also open for Horror Nights, remained open a little longer but did eventually close to standard guests aswell.

Hi has anyone heard any more news about Blue Fire opening during the Winter season? It says closed on the EP website but is there a chance of it opening if the temp gets above 5 degrees? I was more excited to be riding Blue Fire than Wodan to be honest.