• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Abbreviations and acronyms

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.

Tom

TS Member
While I accept this is an enthusiast forum, I think it'd be more helpful to the more casual visitor if some of the confusing abbreviations and acronyms in topic titles were avoided. This would also help the website's search engine health and possibly increase traffic further? Just a thought.

Could I suggest a page on the site exclusively for explaining acronyms? I've read boards like these for ages and I struggled with TotT, BH, F100S!

Actually Tom/Thomas, I think a sticky thread on one of the actual forum pages makes good sense.

All well and good having it in the Wiki section, but it isn't really where it is used most. Abbreviations are used most prevalently in the forums, and you are absolutely spot on in the fact many will not know what they refer too.

I've been around coasters a few years, and you lot still manage to come up with ones sometimes that confuse me :)

There's many you take for granted, such as "TL" for example... who except those in here, would know what meant? ;D

Sticky Thread for me this one, with a big long easy to access list (that at some point I will no doubt end up using!!)

PBB (PLEASURE BEACH BLACKPOOL)
B&M (YOU GUYS SPELL IT)
TL (TRAVEL LODGE)
ToTT (TOWER OF THE TERRORS)
MCBR (MID COURSE BRAKE RUN)

These are just a few that could confuse newcomers, quite easily.

I could use short hand music forum terms as an example of what I mean.

Tell me what FQR is. Yet many of you listen to music, and it's a most important application of choice of your headphones/speakers etc! It defines what you can actually hear!

My point is, what may seem obvious to many on here, taken for granted, leaves others confused, and seeing as though most will be reading the forum I'd imagine - it makes sense to place it in here.

Long winded way of saying I 100% agree with Tom/Thomas in their observations, and kudos for thinking of others enjoyment of the site, that should be very warmly welcomed.

But if we don't use TLAs, how on earth are we going to exclude NCG from our GCC? Half the point of TLAs is to exclude the GPMs and make ourselves feel RSCs.

Three Letter Abbreviation, Non Coaster Geeks, Geeky Coaster Chat, General Public Morons, Right Special ****s ;)

Dude you make me laugh man ;D

I had to use the spoiler, not sure which side of that particular fence that puts me on!!

There are a few too many fences to choose between here as well - it's nothing here, if not diverse!! ;D

Maybe we also need a which side of which fence are you on sticky thread - I could have done with it.

No one has addressed the other point in my post, regarding serach engine health. I feel that a Terror of the Towers topic (with the full name included in the title) could easily become one of the highest ranking listings Google returns when people search for the maze. I think we're missing out on capturing new visitors/potential members with this.

The list/page of definitions is fine, but again it still doesn't tackle the issue of things being immediately confusing to the more casual visitor.

Thing is, topic titles have to be short. In order for it to make sense what the topic is about, you sometimes need to shorten bits down. By the Terror of the towers topic I assume you mean this?

TOTT through the years: 2002-2012

Terror Of The Towers through the years: 2002-2012 is quite a bit longer and would not fit correctly in most of the topic boxes. I do understand what you are saying, but abbreviating attraction names is always going to happen as its just quicker, shorter and easier to type.

Search engine aside from a moment Tom, (valid point)

Tom said:
The list/page of definitions is fine, but again it still doesn't tackle the issue of things being immediately confusing to the more casual visitor.

I disagree with this, I think if you make a clear sticky thread and advice a quick read over, or at least point to it as a reference it will do the job fine - and also, people appreciate when making post being able to use quick abbreviations. You stumbled across something here Tom, that could prove very helpful to the forum.

Search engine wise, I've no idea, but it seems to make sense. That becomes more of an issue as to how the gaffers of the site wish to progress. Don't understand enough about it to make educated comments.

I will take the lead on this and put the work in to create a thread with all the abbreviations I can think of in, and edit it when others contribute. I see your point with raising the profile of the site/search engine rankings however as like you say, possibly more important, especially bringing more visitors here! I'll leave that to you guys though who actually know what you're on about ;D

I'm sure a thread like the one TheMan just created already exists? Maybe I'm thinking of the wiki but I'm sure I remember seeing one :-\

Anyway here's my thought on Abbreviations:

Think before you use them!
In an ideal world there would be no need for abbreviations. When used incorrectly they can be a right pain. Firstly for people with grammar issues and Secondly because they break the flow of a sentence every time you have to go look one up. The only reason I don’t think we should stop using them completely is because they can be very usefully. Some phrases get repeated so many times that you need to simplify them. OTSR and MCBR are two good examples. Then you have words that aren't in English. Hands up if you can actually remember and spell Bolliger & Mabillard off the top of your head? I can't, which is why everyone (even non-enthusiasts) refers to them as B&M.

But not all abbreviations are so universally accepted. From TheMans list above I honestly didn't know what TL meant because TL could mean absolutely anything. Train Late? Tavern Lunch? Thunderlooper?

If you're going to start abbreviating words like this you should always use the full word the first time then in brackets mark the abbreviation so everyone knows what you mean next time.

As for their use in topic titles I don’t think they should be unless it is clear what they might mean. For example:
New B&M Diving Machine
or
Which is better: Lap Bars or OTSR
If you are a new member you could probably guess the meaning of these topics even if you don't know what they mean. Title 1 is obviously about a new coaster and title 2 obviously has something to do with restraints because you’ve used the term lap bars.

It’s just a matter of thinking when you choose a topic title.

BigDave said:
TOTT through the years: 2002-2012

Terror Of The Towers through the years: 2002-2012

What's wrong with:
"Terror of the Towers: 2002-2012"
"Terror of the Towers: over the years"
"Terror of the Towers: Memories"
"Terror of the Towers: Then and Now"

Not that it matters. That topic isn’t very new member friendly anyway because you have to of ridden every incarnation of the attraction to be able to comment.

I don't often post unless I have something to add, I prefer reading the topics, and after I reading this I thought wouldn't it be possible to have a database of abreviations, and then when a reply is posted a bit of code will see if there's any matched words, simular to BB codes, and if there is, it hyperlinks, or at least changes the look of that bit of text, and then when you hover your mouse over it a tooltip appears with what the abbreviation means?

Tim said:
If you're going to start abbreviating words like this you should always use the full word the first time then in brackets mark the abbreviation so everyone knows what you mean next time.

That is a good idea.

I try to remember to do this when using shorten versions, usually when they are from an area outside the forum i am on at the time.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.