• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alternative to Macbook

Danza91

TS Member
So, I'm in need of some guidance here please.

I've got a Macbook which I've had since April 2009 (one of the late 2008 ones when the aluminium models just came in) and it is now beginning to die. I need some advice on which good alternatives to the Macbook exist out there as I feel a bit uncomfortable giving Apple any more of my money while they're sitting on £93bn of profits (but that's a whole other topic).

Since University, I only really use my laptop for web browsing, streaming and occasionally Word/Excel. I rarely use it while travelling and pretty much always run it off the mains so battery life isn't a massive deal. I'm not looking for a tablet as I need something which has all the ports. I've a budget of up to £1,000, but would prefer to spend around £800. The two main things for me are a decent display, and a decent trackpad.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Also I should mention, I have done some looking around myself but there are just so many I've no idea which I can count on.

Last edited:
Sitting on £93 billion profits is not a bad thing. They're earning more money than they could possibly spend and it's great to see a multi-billion dollar company operating with the ideology of a small business and not surviving on borrowed money!

Display and track-pad wise, I'm not too sure many sub £1k laptops come close to MacBooks. At the low end, I'm actually loving the ChromeBooks. Really surprised they haven't taken off better than they have.

I don't have one myself but the Windows Surface 3 has had amazing reviews. The only problem is some of the higher specced versions would tip you over £1000.

Dell do some reasonabley priced stuff, with some good specs behind them too.

A quick narrow down to high RAM and dedicated graphics gives this list here.

:)

Sounds like you just want a standard laptop then, nothing fancy, reasonable size and weight etc. which you can easily get now for about £400, even less. I bought a Lenovo one about 3 years ago with an i5 processor in it, think it cost me 399 at the time but its still going strong, I do video and photo editing on it no problem, does everything I want it to do.