• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers 19th/20th June 2022

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
19th June 2022 (Alton Towers Day 1)
Hi guys. After having started 2022 with some slightly more unusual (compared to what I usually visit, anyway) parks, I today returned to slightly more familiar turf; Alton Towers, my most visited theme park of all time! My mum found a very good deal on an Alton Towers Hotel stay, with 1 night in a standard room with park tickets only costing £107pp, so we thought it would be an absolute no brainer to go and spend 2 days at Alton Towers! Interestingly, my Nan has also joined us for her first Alton Towers trip in 3 years (she came with us in 2019), with a ride on Wicker Man in her sights after it was closed on her 2019 visit (it was one of her most anticipated rides after we’d hyped it up).

We left Gloucestershire at around 7:30am, with us getting to the resort at a little after 10am. One key upshot of staying in a resort hotel was that we were able to walk in through the hotel guest entrance, which I have never done before! As such, we were in the park by 10:30am:
D89-D41-F1-8-F9-A-4178-8-F34-B670-A160080-A.jpg

EBB36319-3-F7-F-48-F9-9599-1-A900-A3-EC88-B.jpg

After entering, we headed to our first ride…
Galactica
Galactica was on an advertised 25 minute queue, so we decided to give it a go. Interestingly, this queue ended up being vastly overstated, as we waltzed straight into the station and only had a one cycle wait; always a bonus! So, how was the ride? Well, I’ve got to say that Galactica isn’t my favourite coaster, as I find the flying position and some of the extended elements on your back that come with it a bit uncomfortable, but it didn’t seem quite as uncomfortable as my last ride was, for some reason, which was good. Also, we got front row, which is always a bonus! Overall, while not my favourite ride, Galactica was all right, and a good way to start the day:
597-C7-C48-0-E48-47-E8-A70-E-A309143-DD03-F.jpg

44086-BCC-85-C1-419-C-8246-68873230-A4-D6.jpg

After Galactica, I tackled the other Forbidden Valley B&M…
Nemesis
Nemesis was on an advertised 5 minute queue, so I decided to give it a go. The queue times board didn’t lie; it was a station wait! So, how was it? Well, I was seated in a row 3 outer seat, and it was good! Just the right amount of force, no headbanging; great stuff! There was a light rattle, but this was very negligible and had no major impact on enjoyment. Overall, it was a great ride:
781-C4565-44-A3-41-D4-AD8-D-B33-C19-E76-AB4.jpg

708175-CB-0784-46-A5-8-C15-38-F58970-DA90.jpg

584387-CC-3-ECB-4-FC7-B74-B-3-A984655-B45-A.jpg

After that ride, I actually decided to go straight back round again for another ride on Nemesis; with a queue that short, it would have been rude not to! This time, I was seated in row 4 on an outer seat, and unfortunately, there was some headbanging present on 1 or 2 of the inversions, as well as a bit more of a judder than the last ride, which detracted from it a tad compared to last time. Still, this impact wasn’t major, and the ride was still very enjoyable!

When all is said and done; as much as I don’t rate Nemesis nearly as highly as I know many do, and inverts aren’t as much my kind of thing as some other types of ride, it is a cracking coaster, and I’m very glad they’re saving it. Many of my niggles with Nemesis at this point are more signs of age than anything inherently wrong with the ride, which I’m hopeful the retrack might go some way towards rectifying. I look forward to seeing how it rides when it’s been retracked!

After Nemesis, we met back up, and we headed over to…
Duel
Duel was nearby and on a walk-on queue, so we decided to give it a go. My mum tried to coax my Nan on Duel, but to no avail; my Nan refused to go in, so it was just me and my mum. Interestingly, the ride actually broke down for around 5 minutes shortly after we sat down in our vehicle. This meant that even when the ride did restart, we crawled through the initial scenes at a staggeringly slow pace, with the themed audio being replaced by a continuous loop of “please remain seated; the ride will restart shortly”, which made for an… interesting experience, to say the least; the themed audio didn’t start until a good couple of scenes in! So, how was the ride? Well, given that there has been a considerable amount of discussion online surrounding the ride’s future and the state that it is currently in, I was expecting it to be pretty awful, with a lot broken… but I didn’t think the ride looked nearly as bad as online comments suggest. Sure, it wasn’t working perfectly (a few targets were broken, and my mum’s blaster cut out halfway through the ride), and it is perhaps showing its age a tad now, but all of the main jumpscares were working, and overall, I thought it was a good, fun ride that still delivered on its intended theme and premise very well; my mum commented on how she thought it was surprisingly scary, so it’s clearly still delivering its punches! The breakdown also benefitted my score in an unexpected way due to the slower speed giving me more time to rack up points in the initial scenes; as such, I got a new personal best of 11,500:
1-CAFC177-C885-4529-ACC1-EA5065-C3-D3-DC.jpg

After Duel, we met back up with my Nan, and we headed on a little further to ride…
Runaway Mine Train
Runaway Mine Train was on an advertised 25 minute queue, so we decided to give it a go. This ended up being pretty accurate, which is always good! So, how was the ride? Well, I was seated in row 10, and it was great fun! The ride kept up good speed throughout for a powered coaster, and that tunnel helix never disappoints! My Nan liked it as well; she commented on how “it’s faster than it looks”! Overall, I think RMT is a great, fun ride, and a definite guilty pleasure of mine; it’s definitely one of my favourite powered coasters, and a ride that definitely punches far above its weight in fun factor given its calibre, in my opinion:
311-F0-ED7-648-C-4-D71-8029-6-AAFE38243-D8.jpg

After Runaway Mine Train, we decided to head over to Mutiny Bay and warm up in Sharkbait Reef, as it was drizzling and getting surprisingly fresh at this point in the day given it’s the middle of June. It is a nice walkthrough to use as a 10 or 15 minute time killer; it’s well themed and has a surprising amount of animals in it:
1-BB48-FB5-F534-4982-AD3-B-F5440078-AF40.jpg

After Sharkbait Reef, we headed to a hotly anticipated ride…
Wicker Man
Wicker Man was on a 30 minute advertised queue, so we decided to give it a go. Now this was a hotly anticipated ride for everyone in our party; my mum and me, perhaps controversially, share it as a favourite ride on park, and my Nan was keen to ride after missing out on it on her 2019 visit; it was closed both days, and she’d been slightly bitter about it ever since! I was also very interested to ride Wicker Man again because since my last visit to Alton Towers, I have visited Europa Park and ridden Wodan, a larger GCI that really blew me away, so I was interested, and somewhat nervous, to see whether Wicker Man still held up for me. The queue time ended up being somewhat understated, with us ultimately waiting 45-50 minutes; the ride appeared to be struggling more than usual to maintain a consistent dispatch interval, and I think there may have been some form of reliability issues while we were waiting. Anyway, how was the ride? Well, I was seated in row 8, and I shouldn’t have been worried, because the ride was absolutely phenomenal; that was easily one of the best Wicker Man rides I’ve ever had! The ride was absolutely relentless, and had absolutely stacks of airtime; there were so many bits where I was hurled out of the seat brilliantly, and I wasn’t even on the back! The ride was brilliantly smooth as well, and really comfortable as woodies go; perhaps surprisingly given that I’ve now ridden Wodan, the ride honestly fared better in my memories than I’d remembered from my previous visit, and I’d genuinely say that there’s less of a gap between Wicker Man and Wodan than I’d previously thought! I’d still give Wodan the edge, as I think it does have slightly stronger airtime and a certain dementedness that Wicker Man can’t quite match, but there’s not tons in it by any means; Wicker Man was phenomenal, and my Nan thoroughly enjoyed it as well:
CE8-E8-DDB-A3-D0-4743-A25-A-7-F65280520-EC.jpg

D3-AD92-C6-A6-E1-4-C77-8-B12-C9-D4-E840196-F.jpg

7-C2-A2970-79-FE-4278-8995-0-F69-BE49-A7-E4.jpg

After Wicker Man, we sat down and ate lunch for 20 minutes or so before I headed off to ride…
Oblivion
Oblivion was on an advertised 20 minute queue, so I decided to give it a go. I split off to do this while my mum and Nan were finishing lunch, as my mum hates Oblivion with a passion and my Nan instantly ruled it out on the basis of how thrilling and intense it looked. The queue only took 15 minutes instead of 20, which was a definite bonus! So, how was the ride? Well, it was fantastic; I do absolutely love Oblivion, and today’s back row ride was no different; the sustained air off the drop was absolutely sublime, and the sense of speed in the tunnel was truly unrivalled! Not to mention, the bonus airtime pop into the brake run delivered a surprising amount as well! Overall, Oblivion was running very well indeed, and it truly cemented the ride’s high rating for me; I apologise if this is controversial, but it’s my favourite UK B&M:
4-AA5177-A-8826-4-CA4-ABC6-1-E93-C62-E05-CA.jpg

27-A318-C6-AA11-40-DD-AD26-19673-A600374.jpg

After Oblivion, I briefly met back up with my mum and Nan before once again splitting off to ride…
The Smiler
The Smiler was on an advertised 30 minute queue, so I decided to give it a go. As I was riding alone, I decided to do something I’ve never done on Smiler before, and use a benefit very seldom seen at Merlin parks these days; I used the single rider queue! As such, I ended up halving the advertised queue time, only waiting 15 minutes as opposed to the advertised 30; great stuff! So, how was the ride? Well, I was situated in an outer seat on the front row, and I’m afraid it wasn’t one of the more pleasurable rides I’ve had on The Smiler. It did seem quite rough for a front row ride, with a fair few head bashing jolts, and when combined with the fact that the ride makes me feel somewhat strange anyway even when it’s riding smooth, it did leave me feeling a bit battered and bruised getting off. This might not have been helped by the fact that the restraint was surprisingly tight on my… sensitive area, and it got a proper walloping during one of the jolts, which did leave me feeling somewhat in pain getting off. Smiler is a ride I really want to like, and I do try to go on it with an open mind every time I ride it, as I do like the idea of the layout for what it is and I think it’s a very inspired piece of design, but I’m sorry to say that I never really warm to it, and that was exacerbated today with the fact it wasn’t overly comfortable either:
6063-B3-DE-6459-4-C0-D-A16-E-DD44-C9-B4-D03-C.jpg

85797-F55-F61-C-4-D39-97-C2-EBBBF1110521.jpg

After Smiler, I met back up with my mum and Nan, and we headed over to ride…
Gangsta Granny: The Ride
Gangsta Granny was on a 30 minute advertised queue, so we decided to give it a go. Me and my mum thought that Gangsta Granny was a ride that Nan might like, so we were intrigued to see her response. The queue didn’t look very long at all at first glance, but did end up taking the advertised 30 minutes, as it moved rather slowly; I did not time the throughput, but it can’t have been very high. So, how was the ride? Well, I really enjoyed it; I thought it was a very nice dark ride when I rode it in 2021, and I thought the same today; there’s some very nice physical set pieces and some very nice screens as well, and I do quite like the ride system! Nan liked it as well! On a side note, did it always have a bubble machine? I swear it didn’t have a bubble machine in 2021…:
E9-FDA392-46-FC-469-D-89-D9-D59-DA9332-CCF.jpg

67-C59-FF2-2-BF5-41-BD-80-BE-BFFC0-DF1-E71-F.jpg

After Gangsta Granny, we headed over to Dark Forest to ride…
Thirteen
Thirteen was on an advertised 20 minute queue, so we decided to give it a go. This wait time ended up being pretty accurate, which is always a bonus! So, how was the ride? Well, I was seated in row 8, and I have to say that that might have been the best ride I’ve ever had on Thirteen; it was absolutely brilliant! Thirteen, while never devoid of it by any means, was never a ride that I would have described as having overly strong airtime. But today, there were 1 or 2 pops of airtime that properly yanked us out of our seats and properly surprised me! The first drop was excellent, with a brilliant pop of airtime that had me well out of my seat, and there was an airtime hill elsewhere in the outdoor section that really threw me up in the air, as well as the odd fun tickles of floater air that Thirteen has always been good at providing! The ride also had good intensity throughout both the outdoor and indoor sections, as well as impeccable smoothness and comfort! Not to mention, that drop track and backwards section were a great laugh as always! Overall, Thirteen was fantastic; it’s a ride that has grown on me a lot over the years, and today’s ride took it up another notch in my estimations. Yes, it might not be the most intense coaster, but it is brilliant fun; I have grown to like it a lot:
6-BB019-A6-5-FAF-4-E27-BBA7-2-F860-F890-BED.jpg

B48-D2-BF7-5519-4855-A999-A8-BF2800-E121.jpg

After Thirteen, my mum and Nan were growing tired and headed on to the hotel room, leaving me to my own devices for the reminder of the day. As such, I then went and rode…
Rita
Rita was on an advertised 20 minute queue, so I decided to give it a go. The queue ended up being slightly longer than advertised, instead taking nearly 30 minutes, but this wasn’t really an issue; I was hardly pressed for time. So, how was the ride? Well, I was seated in row 5, and it was good fun, although a touch more rattly than many of my recent rides, which detracted slightly. It must be said, though, that the ride remains a damn sight smoother and more enjoyable than I’d remembered it being in years gone by; the rattle that it had today was more a minor niggle than a true dealbreaker like its pre-2016 roughness used to be for me. And putting that aside, I actually think Rita has a surprising amount going for it. Yes, the layout isn’t the most interesting, but the launch is brilliantly punchy, the ride is fast paced, and an often overlooked element of Rita that I think really delivers is its airtime. There are 2 or 3 legitimately strong moments of ejector airtime, and even though the ride has OTSRs, these still deliver! Overall, I had a good, fun ride on Rita; yes, the rattle detracted a tad for me today, but I still really enjoyed it overall, and I think it gets a very unfair amount of criticism, myself:
9212-C6-E6-891-C-4-FC4-8512-BC242-F5825-A2.jpg

After Rita, I went for a walk-on reride on Oblivion. I was once again seated in the back row, and it was once again awesome, with some biblical sustained air and speed:
E3292-DCF-857-D-45-D1-9-C0-A-0629-D3323-DAA.jpg

After my Oblivion reride, I closed out the day with a reride on Wicker Man. Even though I was seated in the middle, the ride was just as phenomenal as it had been earlier; the pacing was relentless, and I was almost standing over some of the airtime pops! It was a truly brilliant ride to close out the day with:
F7-ACD89-F-FCB4-4636-A8-E0-EE904-E88-DAA5.jpg

E83-F3676-9-C8-C-4424-A1-CE-229297389-D83.jpg

After my ride on Wicker Man, I made my way to Towers Street and exited the park to head back to the Alton Towers Hotel for my first stay in 3 years. Interestingly, we were upgraded to a Moon Voyager Room in spite of having only booked a Standard Room, and I’m certainly not complaining; the room is lovely:
43-A08-BE4-2989-437-A-B906-184-CE62-E1-AB0.jpg

582-F198-A-BBFF-416-E-926-E-E2-B74-BB9-B0-DA.jpg

After a sit down in the hotel for about an hour and a half, we headed back down the golden path for an evening meal at the Rollercoaster Restaurant. I’ve dined at this restaurant 3 times now, and I absolutely love it; it’s such a brilliant novelty, the food is perfectly nice for what it is, and it’s possibly one of Alton Towers’ greatest nostalgia moves, in my opinion; all the old concept art and footage of coasters is absolutely captivating:
C92-EED86-F2-AC-440-A-A74-D-FE6-C77-C7798-A.jpg

B5-AF8-AEC-204-B-4-BCE-A364-9216-DA7-A16-FF.jpg

After our Rollercoaster Restaurant meal, we headed back to the hotel and closed out our day.

So in conclusion, we had a brilliant day at Alton Towers! I got a fair amount done (14 attractions in total), and there were some brilliant rides ridden! Wicker Man was phenomenal, and on absolute top form on both rides, Oblivion was fantastic, Thirteen was surprisingly brilliant… I could go on, because there were so many great rides today!

Thanks for reading! Join me tomorrow for Day 2 of our trip!

@Matt N i love that you took your nan on Wicker Man, I took my now 67 year old grandma on thirteen about 5-6 years ago and she still hadn’t forgiven me. I to,d her it was a kids ride and of course didn’t tell her about the special element. she’s never done anything like that before or after said ride. I’d be interested to know how old your nan is as I presume she must be of a similar age to my grandma ?

@Matt N i love that you took your nan on Wicker Man, I took my now 67 year old grandma on thirteen about 5-6 years ago and she still hadn’t forgiven me. I to,d her it was a kids ride and of course didn’t tell her about the special element. she’s never done anything like that before or after said ride. I’d be interested to know how old your nan is as I presume she must be of a similar age to my grandma ?
My nan is 66, so a broadly similar age.

Funny you should say about Thirteen, because one of my fondest theme park memories with my nan was from our 2019 visit, when we were on Thirteen and ascending the second lift hill. Our conversation went something like this:
  • Me: Did you enjoy the first bit, Nan?
  • Nan: First bit? I thought it had finished… are you really sure it’s not over?
  • Me: Oh believe me, it definitely isn’t finished…

My nan is 66, so a broadly similar age.

Funny you should say about Thirteen, because one of my fondest theme park memories with my nan was from our 2019 visit, when we were on Thirteen and ascending the second lift hill. Our conversation went something like this:
  • Me: Did you enjoy the first bit, Nan?
  • Nan: First bit? I thought it had finished… are you really sure it’s not over?
  • Me: Oh believe me, it definitely isn’t finished…
Basically similar to the experience we had, I said: did you joy that? Bet you are ready to get off now. Of course she was not happy when the drop happened and when we started heading backwards.

20th June 2022 (Alton Towers Day 2)
We had Day 2 in the park today! We got up fairly early and as we were staying in the Alton Towers Hotel, we had somewhat of a head-start (or I did, anyway; my mum and Nan joined me later); even though Early Ride Time is no longer offered, the park opens its gates early to allow you to get to your first ride and queue for it before opening time, and staying in the hotel will naturally allow you to get here ahead of the regular day guests, which is always a bonus:
2-F503510-C660-4579-A0-CD-439-B4-D61-E124.jpg

AA205787-5-BBD-43-E3-8683-035-C126-D4810.jpg

As such, I decided to take advantage of this and head into the park at about 9:25am and head to an area that often gets long queues later on; Dark Forest. I started on…
Rita
Rita often gets a long queue later on, so I decided to give it a go early on. I watched the ride test for a bit, and I was one of very few people waiting in the area. As such, when the ride opened at around 10:05am, I discovered that I would be on the very first ride of the day, which is an achievement I’ve never had before! So, how was the ride? Well, I was seated in row 5, and the ride was more pleasurable than yesterday’s, with less rattle and some phenomenal airtime, as well as a launch that’s punchy as ever and absolutely supercharged pacing! Perhaps controversially, I do like Rita, and it was a great way to start the day:
8-F333-BF6-AFFB-485-B-9-D84-D8880-F5-D91-FC.jpg

CC86-CF5-F-5474-4-E01-B8-B4-CB21-B66-B28-B5.jpg

After Rita, I decided to tackle the other coaster in the area…
Thirteen
Like Rita, Thirteen was on a walk-on queue, so I decided I may as well give it a go while I was in the area. I wasn’t 100% sure of this, so wouldn’t like to claim that I was, but it looked as though I may have made the first ride of the day on Thirteen as well; the train in front of me was empty, and the station looked deserted when I arrived! So, how was the ride? Well, I was seated directly on the back, and it was excellent; I once again experienced multiple moments of cracking airtime during the outdoor section, the twisty sections were great fun, the ride was blissfully smooth, and the indoor section was a good laugh as always! I‘ve got to say, I think Thirteen is definitely a back row coaster, based on my memories of the front:
A6-F7-F5-B0-2-D3-B-4387-B141-81126-C048808.jpg

After Thirteen, my mum and Nan entered the park, and we attempted to ride Thirteen together. We got as far as the station, and I was even batched into the front row… but the ride broke down. We stood in the station for about 15 minutes or so, hoping that the issue would be resolved quickly, but they eventually closed the queue line.

With that in mind, we left the queue. I initially went off to ride Oblivion, on an advertised 0 minute queue. However, the queue looked much longer than 0 minutes by the time I arrived in X-Sector, so I instead decided to rejoin my mum and Nan so we could all ride…
Wicker Man
Wicker Man was on an advertised 55 minute queue, so we decided to give it a go. Interestingly, the queue only took 35 minutes as opposed to the advertised 55, which is always a bonus! Although this could have been in part due to a rather interesting quirk with the pre-show, where both the doors remained open. As such, no one watched it; we were just filtered straight through the room, and the show just started running to no audience while everyone was piling into the station! My mum and Nan were very happy that we didn’t have to watch it, and I have to admit that as much as I do like Wicker Man's pre-show, not watching it did shave off some time getting on the ride and make the experience less uncomfortable. So, how was the ride? Well, I was seated in row 8, and it was phenomenal; relentlessly fast and full of airtime just as it had been yesterday! We all thoroughly enjoyed it:
7-F2-D5-CED-49-E8-4-D66-8-DCD-8-EBDCC332-FCE.jpg

73-FA1-B42-5-F67-4-F65-A58-D-34-EB436-F8202.jpg

After Wicker Man, I headed over to X-Sector to ride…
The Smiler
I hadn’t done The Smiler yet today, so I decided to give it a go. The advertised queue was 70 minutes, and it was spilling well into the pit, but I once again used my secret weapon... the single rider queue! But the question is; how much shorter would my queue be today? Well, today was where single rider really came into its own... that queue was walk on, and I waltzed straight into row 2! I actually felt a bit naughty using the single rider queue today, as it basically felt like I was using Fastrack without paying for it... even though single riding via the SRQ is technically allowed, it felt a bit wrong to walk onto the ride when the main queue was 70 minutes. But how was the ride? Well, I'm afraid it was similarly rough to yesterday's; definitely not the most enjoyable:
4-F78-DE12-8-B51-4418-933-E-A28-DEDDDA011.jpg

E6024-E4-F-6810-4715-830-D-39731387-FA19.jpg

F18705-FC-316-E-40-A5-BC45-6-B864178-F1-B2.jpg

After Smiler, I couldn't leave X-Sector without having a go on...
Oblivion
Oblivion was on a 25 minute advertised queue, so I decided to give it a go. I did wonder upon joining whether the queue might be longer than 25 minutes, as it was stretching all the way to the tunnel underneath the station where the Lord of Darkness talks about the psychological effects of Oblivion (the longest queue I've seen for it in a while). However... it only ended up taking 10-15 minutes, and this was due to some of the best operations I have ever seen on the ride; they were throwing shuttles out at a rate of knots, my measured throughput average for Oblivion exceeded 1,000 riders per hour for the first ever time, and on 5 shuttles, we were only stacking at the end for a few seconds at most (for some idea, seasoned visitors to Alton Towers will know that you typically stack for a long time on Oblivion). Phenomenal work! So, how was the ride? Well, I was on the front row, and I actually enjoyed it slightly more than yesterday's ride! The sustained airtime was once again phenomenal, but the sense of speed, while phenomenal everywhere, seemed slightly enhanced on the front, for some reason:
141-E0244-90-F1-45-B6-89-C6-4-A6-A97-E21-AD8.jpg

After my ride on Oblivion, I met back up with my mum and nan, and me and mum rerode Wicker Man on an advertised 35 minute queue. Interestingly, we watched the pre-show this time; clearly the pre-show skipping on our first ride was just a one-time issue! The queue still only took 25-30 minutes, though, so that wasn't an issue by any stretch. As for the ride, I was seated in row 8 once again, and the ride was phenomenal once again:
5424-F93-C-FB78-4357-BE19-56-F058081363.jpg

DDF20-B27-8-C42-47-EE-9478-2-B9-B8726-CC10.jpg

We then had some lunch before I wandered over to Forbidden Valley to ride...
Nemesis
Nemesis was on an advertised 25 minute queue, so I decided to give it a go. This queue ended up being pretty accurate, possibly slightly understated, taking 20-25 minutes; always a bonus! So, how was the ride? Well, I was seated in row 6 on an inner seat, and it was good, although slightly jolty in places. This wasn't a dealbreaker by any means, and I've ridden far rougher coasters, but it did detract ever so slightly from the ride for me:
9578-FB76-442-C-425-B-B6-A2-255-FE2910-F83.jpg

D79-E8-FA2-0-F78-404-D-B35-F-6501164-FE5-BA.jpg

After Nemesis, I took a ride on the other Forbidden Valley B&M...
Galactica
Galactica was on an advertised 25 minute queue, so I decided to give it a go. The queue was overstated, only taking 15 minutes in the end; always a bonus! The operations on Galactica were top notch this afternoon; the ride was running 3 trains and both stations, yet we didn't stack on the brake run at all. My throughput average for Galactica was 1,221pph, which was the highest I measured all trip; terrific work! So, how was the ride? Well, I was seated in the back row, and as I said yesterday, it's not my favourite coaster; it's OK, but I do find the flying position inherently uncomfortable, and I'm also not a fan of the fly to lie, where it dumps you on your back for a sustained period. With that being said, however, the ride did feel a bit faster on the back, and bits of the layout itself are really quite good fun; it's just that I don't particularly enjoy that flying position at all:
A6845890-9781-46-BF-B984-D0-BA577900-DC.jpg

4-AE65-E4-B-9-C45-4-DB8-8006-A73-B4-CC66-F59.jpg

After Galactica, it was getting on for 2:30pm, and my mum and nan were wanting to head home. As such, we headed out the hotel entrance and closed out our day there.

So in conclusion, we had a brilliant Alton Towers trip! It was great to get back to the park for my first 2022 visit, and I had many great rides! In particular, Wicker Man delivered as well as it ever did, with some of my best ever rides on it being had this trip, Oblivion was awesome, and Thirteen has gone up a fair amount in my estimations; it was unexpectedly brilliant this trip!

Thanks for reading; I hope you've enjoyed my reports!

Some great shots, and you really nailed it with the weather! I still think Alton Towers looks uniquely stunning, especially on a good old British summer day. I have to agree back row Thirteen is underrated, that big dirty trim brake on the first drop feels like it's trying to throw you forward out of your seat, it doesn't kill the experience for me. I do think GalacticAir is a bit pants, I do also prefer that further back.

And as I always say, Wickerman slaps.

Shame you just missed out on a front row Thirteen ride, best row for us geeks as you can see the track switch operating!

I agree with you on Galactica- I find it extremely uncomfortable and don't like the fly-to-lie as it hurts my neck. The wait to get back into the station from the brake run isn't fun either. Not ridden it for a couple of years because of the above, but I may consider doing it at Scarefest this year.

Last edited:
I love that your nan did some of the coasters! Mine is late 70’s now so I’m not sure she’d still be up for it, but in her younger years she loved a good family thrill coaster. I hope to still be riding when I get to that age.

Smiler single rider can be a real gem. My other half got on Smiler 5 times in an hour when we visited on Saturday when there was an advertised wait of 60+minutes! I had one go on it and got the front row for the first time, I think it’s my favourite row and didn’t find it too rough luckily. I do wonder with Smiler if some trains are rougher than others.

Galactica is very average for me, I’ve only done it once this season and I’ve visited towers pretty regularly so far. I keep saying next time I’ll go on it but then when the time comes I’d rather go on nemesis.

Nice review @Matt N, seeing the photos makes me want to go back.

Has your view on Alton Towers changed at all, after you visit to Europa Park earlier in the year?
That’s an interesting question, and I did wonder myself whether Alton Towers and some of its rides would feel different having been to Europa Park.

However, I’ve got to say that I don’t think it has. I enjoyed this visit as much as I’ve ever enjoyed any visit to Towers in the past.

I won’t deny that I do rate Europa Park higher than Alton Towers (it’s my favourite theme park, while Towers is #3), and Towers as an overall experience isn’t nearly as holistic as Europa Park. I’d also say that Europa Park has far stronger theming on average than Alton Towers; while Alton Towers has some very well themed rides and some very nicely themed pockets of the park, I think Europa’s areas are overall much more enveloping and cohesive, and the theming quality of both rides and areas is higher on average at Europa. I would also go on to say that I rate both Silver Star & Wodan higher than any individual roller coaster at Alton Towers (although in fairness, Wicker Man does not sit that far below Wodan for me).

However, I don’t think Alton Towers does a bad job at all. Yes, the overall experience in terms of theming and breadth/variety of attraction lineup isn’t as well rounded as Europa, but I do love roller coasters, and I don’t necessarily mind that Alton Towers is a bit more coaster-centred; spending a day only riding coasters is fine by me! I also really enjoy a considerable number of Towers’ coasters, and even though I rate Silver Star & Wodan higher than any of Towers’ individual coasters, I could definitely see an argument for Alton Towers having a superior coaster selection to Europa overall. In terms of the resort, as well; yes, I don’t think Alton Towers’ hotel resort is quite as glamorous as Europa Park’s, but I do still think it has a certain air of prestige and magic about it!
Great trip report as always Matt, it was so detailed I almost feel as if I’m in the park with you! It’s always nice to read your account of your trips, I’ll look forward to the next one, where are you planning on heading to this summer?
Thank you for the nice comments; detail is what I aim for!

I don’t really know where I’m headed next, in all honesty! I was hoping to do Brean Theme Park at some point (it’s my local theme park, yet I’ve never actually been), it’s highly likely I’ll be doing a UK theme park around the time of my birthday at the end of July, I’ll be going on a solo visit to Thorpe in September when my parents visit Wentworth for the day, and I was also pondering a 2-day solo jaunt to Blackpool Pleasure Beach on the train in September (although this one might end up being 2023 rather than 2022).