• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Guide Book 1978(?)

This probably is the wrong place to ask this but seeing as this was in that guide, what's the origin of the mutiny bay courtyard? I thought it was just theming but does it have historical significance?

ah fair enough then. Imagine if this happened nowadays, map featuring a coaster they hadn't yet announced. We'd be double handing ourselves into a froth. Suppose it was different in those days. Coaster nuts getting on the wireless, angrily writing into the Sentinel etc

I believe the original plan had been to install the Corkscrew earlier then 1980, though I'm not sure exactly why it was postponed (there were various things going on at that time which could have resulted in delays).

This was somewhat backed up by a list produced by Vekoma some years ago, which listed all the Vekoma rides that had ever existed and listed the Corkscrew as opening in 1979.

This was somewhat backed up by a list produced by Vekoma some years ago, which listed all the Vekoma rides that had ever existed and listed the Corkscrew as opening in 1979.

Tell a lie, it was listed by Vekoma as 1978, which would explain its place in this guide book, which I'm pretty certain is 1978 as the Skate Park only lasted one year (maybe a shade longer) before it was replaced by the Apline Bobsled in 1979.
upload_2019-9-18_1-22-28.png

Tell a lie, it was listed by Vekoma as 1978, which would explain its place in this guide book, which I'm pretty certain is 1978 as the Skate Park only lasted one year (maybe a shade longer) before it was replaced by the Apline Bobsled in 1979.
I guess not many people actually took a skateboard with them on a day out!

Really interesting to see old photos of the towers and grounds, and really shows how it was all about the gardens and house and the theme park is very much an afterthought.

I guess the park didnt really exist then at all. It was still just the old funfair behind the towers, but theyre trying to big it up a bit with the Corkscrew picture. Probably becasue they had those plans in mind, but at the time of the guidebook it was definitely all about the grounds

Does it list the Corkscrew that opened up at Spanish City in Whitley Bay, which was then moved to Flamingo land. I'm trying to find out a bit more info on that as what's available is pretty scarce.