• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Report 5th/6th July (Or Rather, A Scottish Invasion of Alton Towers)

QTXAdsy

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Black Hole
Well folks, finally after so long, 2016 I think, I finally made the long journey back to Alton Towers and it was clear that I have missed out on a lot, oh well. As some of you might remember, I was supposed to be joined by my then gf but as you might remember...yeah. However my own mother decided to tag along who was wanting a holiday herself so me be generous, I thought why not. Finally for those who probably don't know but many of you do, I'm from the theme park wasteland known as Scotland. I just laugh in bitterness when I read through TS comments about the state of the UK theme park industry down south when neither of them known just how lucky they have it all compared to some of us... :(

Anyway, what made this different was that for the first time I would be staying on the resort complex, as in the Splash Landings Hotel and after what I've heard about many users grumblings, I honestly had no idea what to expect.

So I would arrive on the 4th in which would be my time at the water park. For a brief report on the place, I liked it yet like perhaps everyone else on here that has said already, could do with an expansion. Not so keen on the many loud children running about but that's probably just me. So anyway, time for the report you've been waiting for...a Fifer's madcap adventure in Staffordshire...

20220705_092733.jpg

On entering the park, had to take a picture of Corky's remains. As rough as she was, do miss her. However what caught my attention was honestly the large amount of Scottish accents I heard throughout the day, I'm not joking, there were so many about I thought I was still in Scotland and there is more to talk about this later on.

Now then, I had hoped to get a ride on Wicker Man but sadly it (and Hex) would be closed for the day which was frustrating for me but alas, I had to make the most of the day so the first ride of the day would be with RMT. I arrived on park about 9:30am so it would be another first of waiting on a ride before it would open which may sound typical for many of you but quite an alien concept where I'm from!

20220705_095349.jpg

For the first ride of the day RMT ran good and for those who don't know, it and Black Hole are two of the very first roller coasters I've ever riden on so I do have a soft spot for RMT. However I will say that I wasn't quite impressed with the tunnel connecting both it and CRR in which it lacked any theme and with the lights on it really took me out of experience and feel that this ought to be addressed and as I'm more of a stranger on here and very much out of the loop, I'm unsure if my feelings are shared on here. Seriously, how hard can it be to build some fiberglass rock face in there?

Moving on, next up would be Duel and given the rumours about it finally meeting its end at the end of the season and I had to ride it before it goes. While going into this hearing about the broken effects and bad lighting I was expecting something rather poor and the end result was...interesting. While I'm not that much of a geek knowing every square inch of the ride, I will say the lighting was very poor in which much of the walls and supports could be seen and the exit line was in a pretty ropey state. Honestly it's not hard to see why it might be facing its end soon. My mother though said she loved it though however she has no idea of just how flawed it was and I didn't decide to tell her about what was wrong as I would honestly exhaust myself out.

Anyway, onto FV and time to catch up with the big cheese of Towers itself, Nemesis! That said, I had to gander over to NST to see what has happened with it and it was rather sad seeing it in a sorry state and despite what many say of bringing it back, I think a total rebuild is needed E.G my proposed shooter dark ride concept for it which honestly the more you think about it works better in a setting like FV than that of GW. Who knows what we might see next...

20220705_103552.jpg

So onto the old girl herself, Nemesis! As my trips to Towers are free and far between, this will likely me my last rides on the 'old' Nemesis before the new one takes place. Much like with Duel, I feel I must have timed it well.

Upon riding it, I was starting to feel the roughness on her and I can remember back when was smooth so it was shock to actually be there after hearing what everyone was saying about was real. That said, Nemesis never fails to deliver and weirdly rather than being thrilled, I felt rather sentimental after my ride. Perhaps with what will be happening with her soon but yeah, other than than looking grotty in areas, her queue line music and blood rivers off, she is a good girl that always wants to make anyone's day good.

20220705_104545.jpg

After that, it was time for Galactica, or Air as I prefer to call her as mainly she is pretty much that now given she is that now since the stupid VR system was removed and I despite fearing a large queue as I always seem to get with that ride, I was shocked to have only a 20 minute queue and I couldn't pass up on it and went for it.

The fact I didn't have to wait that long on it for perhaps the first time in all my times at Towers was honestly a shock for me. I don't know what to say other than it's a fun ride and given how it's highly unlikely I'll ever get the chance to ride on any B&M flying coaster (actually any B&M TBH) I can't really compare it to anything else.

Only complaint I do have is that not only that I want Air to return but so too the original planned Oasis theming. Am I the only one who'd want that?

And I also in that time I first saw the first of Retrosquad rides on show...anyway moving on. A Skyride later would take us across the Valley towards Dark Forest. Rita was apparently having issues all day so I decided to head over for Thirteen in which not only did I get on the second row but also the ride car I was on just so happened to have a family of three on it who all of which came from Kilmarnock as in north of the border. Honestly, I can't believe my luck which of all the people you have to encounter...

However that aside, I will say that after much of my negative feelings for Thirteen, I will say that I was taken aback of how well she rode and was quite more forceful than I remember so while I'm not a supporter of it quite as you'd think, it did make me think, maybe the outdoor layout is just that pants and needed an extra length for it with a bit more air time. Oh well...

Now then, onto a more serious note, it was on the way to X-Sector that my mother received a phone call from home which was off shocking news in which a friend that my mother knew (for personal reasons I will not name) had suddenly passed away and my mother was shocked by this news and that did cause a cloud to cover the holiday and she needed time to reflect and would spend time in the Gardens which was actually fitting she said as it did give her time to reflect on what had happened.

With her taking her time to think it all through, I headed onto for X-Sector and on first impressions...fairly disappointed in how grotty the place looked with Oblivion and Smiler looking tatty needing either a jet wash or a repaint and deeply disappointed with Enterprising SBNO and another of the Retrosquad. Yeah, not very happy with first impressions on the area but nonetheless it was time for a go on Smiler.

For as rough she might be, I have never found Smiler to be a headbanger and I really enjoy Smiler despite all this for its sheer off the wall insanity which I do love! Would get a second ride later on but more on that later...Next up would be a ride on Oblivion and for the first time, this would be one time that would not be a walk on as I had to wait this time round. Like Smiler, could really do with a touch up here and there and some of the ride video screens weren't working plus Oblivion was prior during the day was closed due to problems and at one point pulled an hour long queue though I do suspect this was down to some poor through puts.

Still, Oblivion is always a great ride and I always get that one moment of anxiety just before you get onto that holding brake. Like Air, probably the only time I'll giver get to experience a dive coaster which is really sad for me. :( Someone needs to start a collection to get me away from theme park hell where I'm from...

After this though with the final hour of the park before closing, I reunited with my Mother again in which we both decided to head over to Thirteen given as it had a 10 minute queue so that's what we did. This time we got near the back and if the Scottish connection was crazy enough on the first time on Thirteen, this time it was ridiculous for I encountered yet another Scottish family from Glasgow I believe.

Riding Thirteen near the back was actually quite an experience for I managed to get some air time and even more funnier this time round was that some poor wee lad with that family in question got such a scare on it that he was crying his way off the ride with his mother saying, "Well, I'll nae win mother o' the year after this." 😆 God knows how the poor wee boy would have coped with Oblivion...

Anyway, with Rita being down with many problems throughout the day I decided to wait for tomorrow and with some time left, I decided one final ride on Smiler which turned out to be more troublesome than it was worthed. Why's that? Just before I was about to board via the single rider section, damn thing was forced to stop and it would be another 10 minutes before it would start. That was bad enough but made worse that I was stuck right behind a rather intimate couple, intimate as in they were getting rather steamy in the queueline which was uncomfortable not only as I was trying to look away out of being polite but rather reflecting on my own love life and what might have been...thankfully the ride managed to get going again and thank God for that, anymore longer and we might have been seeing tounge between those two!

After that though, that was to mark the end of day one on the park but before I had left, I did manage to get something that was perhaps more important than you realise...that retro Black Hole t-shirt you might have seen. Given how you know that ride means for me, I'm very glad to own something of a ride that means much to me.

So all in all, a day filled with several degrees of emotion but far from over just yet for part two for the following day will be up shortly and, I'm pleased to say, a face reveal! Hope my first trip report for AT was OK, been ages since I did this short of thing so I might be a bit rusty at it. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say. :)

Cheers for the write up, interesting to hear the perspective of someone who's been away from the park for so long! Seems you got a good taste of the good, the bad and and the ugly (i.e. X-Sector!) on your first day. Did you get on WM in the end?

I'm sorry to hear that your mum had bad news, that must have been a real blow. Hopefully the trip helped to take her mind off things a bit.

Alrighty then, time for part two for those who are waiting for it. Sorry for the delay, the day after I got back from Towers I had to go to my cousin's wedding so I'm utterly shattered writing this all up but hey, I've been through worse.

So before I start talking about my second day on the park, I have to talk about my time at Splash Landings that I would be staying on the Resort complex for the first time. I enjoyed it, nothing too fancy though I can understand why some would have issues but you have to remember where I come from, I have nothing to compare with it so you can say all you like that I'm not all a true theme park enthusiast but remember, not all of us are lucky for those living in Scotland.

I will say though at dinner time, their was some kids entertainment thing going upstairs with kids being loud which I'm not a fan of and I can totally sympathise where some complaints about entertainment come from. That said I did get to have a sneak in the ATH via the walkway and I will say I did prefare having my dinner there and my mother seemed quite taken by the secret garden theme that restaurant had which is a story she is fond off so I guess she was happy with that. Oh, and I cannot begin to tell you the amount of Scots not only in SL but throughout the place to the point in which I might have been at home. If only we had an Alton Towers over the border...😒

But enough of that, on to the second day! On the day before, we had started our day going through MB, KC, GW and FV before taking the Skyride to the other side of the park and the plan was to start from the other direction starting with a ride on Spinball and go from there. However I then discovered that Wicker Man was to be open for the day and thus, all plans pretty much all went out the window as I had to get the credit ASAP.

Thankfully we only had a 30 minute wait and I am pleased that the throughput rate was very good and I did get to take in the scenery and the pre show in which I was surprised that the narrator had a Fife accent that really caught my attention and my own mother did wonder if with that accent is that it might be based loosely on the last witch burnings in Scotland which would explain the Scottish narrator. I don't think so but it is an interesting basis for a ride theme if someone were to do that and BTW, who did the narration?

20220706_110355.jpg

So then, how did I like it? Yep, I enjoyed and I do like a lot of the air time on it though do wish it was slightly longer. While I still might prefare Wodan at EP, WM is still a very good ride and worth the wait though I wish it had more of a pirate theme to blend in with MB. With that out of the way, one ride that I hadn't yet done was Rita and I know there are strong opinions on it but I find I'll explain more after what happened for me next.

After seeing it had only a 30 minute queue, I knew it would build up quickly throughout the day and I knew I had I had to take the chance and actually the queue line was moving at a steady pace...and then Rita broke down. By this point I had managed to reach the final part of the queue and wasn't going to leave soon so I held my ground with the queue actually moving forward though this was thanks only to several leaving the queue.

Thankfully the ride was reopened though I can't help but noticed a great deal of downtime there than as far as I could remember. Funny thing I remember during the part of the trains going round empty to test it, one lad in front was bemoaning that some ghosts had queue jumped which was actually pretty funny I'll admit. 🤣

So after getting a front row seat which I haven't been on before and...yeah. Nothing special, good laugh though I can understand why many on TS would rather have it melted down and replaced though honestly I feel it's problems lie in its loading bay which not only cause much of the long waits but are dreadfully built with it rather being a one way system is instead some strange backwards and forwards bit which add in the baggage area just makes it a mess. I couldn't help but notice that the unloading area could easily have that area converted into a second loading bay with the other side of the platform on the right hand side being rebuild to help create a one way system. Honestly if they were to have done this then Rita could honestly be a queue eater and a station building to cover those waiting to ride wouldn't go amiss.

Perhaps even building a barrel roll to replace one of hills might be an idea but I know many of you will say that you can't polish a turd buy I'm more of certain type who will be giving a ride a second chance if refurbished, only when I don't is when you know something is bad. So enough of Rita, a quick dash to X-Sector where a ride on Smiler and Oblivion followed in which on the former, I sat beside a pretty Brummie lass in which we got talking and said seemed a bit sorry that in Scotland I had nothing like this and she did mention that she was planning on going to Mingo land to ride Sik...if only I had such choices...

Anyway, up next was a brief coffee break up in TS before heading over to ride Spinball in which my mother joined me for it. Now for the record she had ridden Nemesis, or rather was dragged into it by my aunt on a 1996 trip when we first went, and she was utterly traumatised by the experience she would never again ride something like that again. However after braving WM, Mum was actually unnerved by Spinball saying that she didn't like the random direction the ride car went in and afterwards said she would never ride something like that again. Of all the rides to be scared of, it had to be Spinball was I'm honestly stunned. Anyway, Spinball is a fun ride but perhaps the wrong sort of coaster for Towers, had it been built on a smaller UK park then it would have been suitable no question yet it's low through put is a problem I can see and wouldn't really be sad if it did seen its end sooner than later.

20220706_141904.jpg

After this, the last two rides would be on Nemesis (ofc) and on Duel in which will most likely be the last time I'll ride them before they go into their respective refurbishments so it will be interesting to see how different they be next time. Actually for the latter, this would be the first time I would get to go in Duel's extended queue line which othern than perhaps way back I'm 1996 when I rode it during it's HH days, I can't remember much of it then so it was nice to experience something different. For the record, I didn't bother going to TWODW as not only as I had no interest in the area but the fact that GG was out of action on the two days there so I can't say how it went; still feel my proposal of revising the Port Discovery concept to that area would be a far better solution but I'm probably just bias.

After that, with no other ride I wanted to do, the final hour was actually quite relaxing in which we would explore more of the gardens and reflect on things, I honestly wish had the park not had such short opening hours and through puts been a lot quicker on the majority of rides, I would honestly just love to just sit and relax and take in the park, maybe if I lived closer and had a MAP pass then yeah.

With that, my time on the park came to an end though not fully on the resort. As neither me and my Mum had really taken in the rest of the resort complex for after the park closed, we had a gander at Roller Coaster Restaurant just to view it (we never got to have a meal there as it was fully book for the rest of the month so I can't comment on it). We then had a look at both the Stargazing Pods and Enchanted Village in which for the former I couldn't see myself staying in those to which my Mum mentioned that my old man's summer house was twice the size compared to the wee pods and the latter did look nice though I'm not sure what to think of those.

Finally for the epilogue, our final activity was playing the golf and I must say was actually quite fun for I haven't done crazy golf I'm ages and it was actually quite busy with many Scots there and honestly there is nothing funnier than seeing a family of Weegies getting heavily competitive over some crazy golf game. That said can't say I'd do it again but at least I can say I've done it.

And last but not least just after leaving the park, we stopped to not only have lunch in the village of Alton which like with many things on this trip has been a first, but also finally see the infamous chained oak tree. Quite intimidating I must confess especially with no one around though we did have a peak at the Chained Oak B&B that I have heard many of you recommend and I will say it is a serious possibility next time round. Did look rather nice.

After that, it was homeward bound and only now I have had time to reflect on my trip and I do feel rather bittersweet more than anything, living in theme park hell known by many as Scotland does that and I only hope I can go down south sooner than later or better if something half decent comes my way. If not for TS, I live a lonely life when it comes to discussing theme parks. :(

So finally I'll give the Good and Bad of the trip.

The Good
  • Certainly being back is one thing and getting to experience the resort complex with an neutral mindset going in.
  • Water Park is fun and other than perhaps saying that expansion for it is needed, it was good to take it in.
  • Finally getting to ride WM for the first time and being impressed by the theming which is one of the best on the park for sure.
  • The two day pass being a major relief as the second day allowed me to not only take things at a relaxed pace but take in more than the actual rides.
  • Being actually quite pleasantly surprised for the most part by how nice SL, can't say if it has gotten worse over the years for I have never stayed on the resort before so I'm probably rather foolish saying nice things about the hotels when the general rule on TS is to say otherwise.
  • Finally getting to see the Chained Oak in the flesh.
The Bad
  • The biggest negative is Hex being out of use on both days as I really wanted to experience it once again for I haven't since it was last refurbished. Could have been worse if WM had been SBNO for both days too.
  • Entertainment at SL was...mixed to say the least, on the last night during my dinner, some kiddie club thing was making a right din which was annoying and I feel some more variety of entertainment would be good, though I suspect this has been said many times before. The same can be said for the lack of entertainment on the park but then again haven't we heard that before?
  • Certainly the lack of good flat rides, Enterprise SBNO and the sight of the Retrosquad wasn't really great for ride availability and I do miss Ripsaw and even Submission to some extend, only as something to help soak up the crowds and help make a park area look good.
  • For the record, not a fan of the Dungeons in the park and I believe a certain you-know-who at TPW said it better that a new building built from scratch outside the park and somewhere on the resort complex would not only be a far better idea but actually add a wee bit more variety to the resort offerings.
  • Last but not least, certain areas of the park looking rather tatty with X-Sector being the worst of it, honestly 2013 was the best I saw it in and that was only as Smiler opened that season.
So yeah, all in all, an enjoyable time for me and if I say on the resort complex remains to be seem though I will have to have a balanced view unlike others who will only want to talk about nothing but negative views which will likely gain more clicks, even if some of the criticism is justified. Finally, the big face reveal you've all been waiting for with my retro Black Hole top which will likely become something to easily recognise me by...

20220706_164458.jpg

So then, not so if my views on the state of the park will be taking into account for being a different view point for someone who doesn't live close by and that I might be going off the narrative on here. I just want to enjoy a theme park as best I can when you remember where I come from.

So I hoped you enjoyed all this and I would love to hear what you have to say about what I had to say. The Fifer has gone home to the Kingdom...