• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers vs. Thorpe Park: Strongest Top 3

Alton Towers or Thorpe Park?

• Alton Towers (Nemesis Reborn, The Smiler, Wickerman)

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Thorpe Park (Hyperia, Stealth, THE SWARM)

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters

Dhev123

TS Member
Which UK park has the best 1-2-3 punch?

This is purely based on the overall average consensus within the UK community of the top 3 coasters at each respective park. I appreciate everyone on here will have differing opinions and may not agree that the listed rides aren't their top 3 (for instance I rate rita over the smiler, but can appreciate that many thoosies despise it, and smiler is regarded as one of the parks best).

I would rank all 6 as:
1. Hyperia
2. Stealth
3. Nemesis Reborn
4. Wicker Man
5. The Swarm
6. The Smiler

So for me, thorpe clears

I personally rate Thorpe’s top 3 higher than Alton’s, on average.

My top 3 coasters at Alton are:
  1. Wicker Man (10/10, #9/123)
  2. Oblivion (9/10, #12/123)
  3. Nemesis Reborn (9/10, #15/123)
My top 3 coasters at Thorpe are:
  1. Hyperia (10/10, #5/123)
  2. Stealth (9/10, #13/123)
  3. Nemesis Inferno (9/10, #16/123)
In terms of my out of 10 rating system, the average is the same; both parks’ 3 highest ranking coasters are a 10 and two 9s. But if you look at exact rankings, Hyperia is a good few spots higher than Wicker Man and Oblivion and Nemesis are only one spot higher than Stealth and Inferno, respectively, so Thorpe Park’s top 3 averages a slightly higher ranking overall. However, I would have given it to Alton prior to the addition of Hyperia, as Thorpe’s top 3 was previously two 9s and an 8 for me.

I personally rate Thorpe’s top 3 higher than Alton’s, on average.

My top 3 coasters at Alton are:
  1. Wicker Man (10/10, #9/123)
  2. Oblivion (9/10, #12/123)
  3. Nemesis Reborn (9/10, #15/123)
My top 3 coasters at Thorpe are:
  1. Hyperia (10/10, #5/123)
  2. Stealth (9/10, #13/123)
  3. Nemesis Inferno (9/10, #16/123)
In terms of my out of 10 rating system, the average is the same; both parks’ 3 highest ranking coasters are a 10 and two 9s. But if you look at exact rankings, Hyperia is a good few spots higher than Wicker Man and Oblivion and Nemesis are only one spot higher than Stealth and Inferno, respectively, so Thorpe Park’s top 3 averages a slightly higher ranking overall. However, I would have given it to Alton prior to the addition of Hyperia, as Thorpe’s top 3 was previously two 9s and an 8 for me.
yeah before hyperia I would agree also!

My AT top 3 are nemesis, wicker, and rita

TP (pre-hyperia) stealth, swarm, saw

but in terms of ranking all these:
1. hyperia (10/10)
2. stealth (9.5/10)
3. nemesis (9.5/10)
4. wicker (9.5/10)
5. swarm (9/10)
6. rita (8/10)
7. saw (8/10)

I can’t vote on this because I disagree with the rides picked. I understand Swarm and Stealth are regarded as 2 of the best at the park but I personally think they’re the worst 2. Saw and Colossus may be a bit rough but at least they’re more interesting. Stealth is over in seconds and has nothing to it and Swarm is a snooze fest. However, Saw has great airtime and some decent hangtime plus a fantastic indoor section. Inferno I also think is a stronger ride than Swarm and Stealth because it’s intense, whippy and just feels more thrilling. I agree with the Towers top 3 tho they’re by far the best 3 and it’s not even close

For me I kind of draw my conclusion from my fave one-two punch combo which is smiler and nemesis although hyperia is my favourite in the country, Alton towers has 2 rides in my top 10 because I adore smiler and nemesis whereas hyperia is very high in my rankings at #4 overall, thorpe doesn't have any other rides in my top 20 although I love the swarm it just doesn't quite make it therefore I say towers wins this one for me.

I'd argue the top 3s aren't right. Thorpe would be Swarm, Ninferno and Stealth, Towers being Nemesis, Wicker Man and Smiler.

I'd argue the top 3s aren't right. Thorpe would be Swarm, Ninferno and Stealth, Towers being Nemesis, Wicker Man and Smiler.
I based each top 3 not on my opinion but mostly from the general 'average' community consensus, which obviously is still highly subjective!

Towers Top 3:
Nemesis (2/102)
Wicker Man (8/102)
The Smiler (13/102)

Thorpe Top 3:
Stealth (4/102)
Hyperia (6/102)
Saw-The Ride (7/102)

Towers' Top 3 add up to 23, whereas Thorpe's add up to 17, meaning that Thorpe has the strongest top 3 for me.

Thorpe's Top 3, I would swap out Stealth for Nemesis Inferno and that is a fantastic top 3 - I consider Stealth very similar to Oblivion where it's done so quickly.

Alton Towers, the Top 3 is spot on 😀

I'd say that Thorpe Park has the strongest top 3 out of both parks, including Nemesis Inferno in lieu of Stealth.

For me it's..

1. Hyperia
*huge gap*
2. Nemesis Inferno
3. Stealth

1. Nemesis
*big gap*
2. Wicker Man
3. Galactica

I'll say Towers, because I'd rather ride Wicker over Inferno or Stealth.

Well I’m going to put the coasters in my personal order and then figure out which park has the better lineup.
1. Hyperia
2. Nemesis/Smiler
3. Wicker Man
4. Saw
5. Colossus
6. Inferno
7. Swarm
8. Stealth
9. Rita
10. Oblivion
11. Galactica
12. Th13teen
So judging on the fact most the towers coasters are at the bottom I’d say Thorpe. Haven’t ridden Hyperia yet however I’d say its a safe bet to assume it’s top of the list

Well I’m going to put the coasters in my personal order and then figure out which park has the better lineup.
1. Hyperia
2. Nemesis/Smiler
3. Wicker Man
4. Saw
5. Colossus
6. Inferno
7. Swarm
8. Stealth
9. Rita
10. Oblivion
11. Galactica
12. Th13teen
So judging on the fact most the towers coasters are at the bottom I’d say Thorpe. Haven’t ridden Hyperia yet however I’d say its a safe bet to assume it’s top of the list
Yeah top 3’s aside thorpe still clears for me
1. Hyperia
2. Stealth
3. Nemesis
4. Wicker man
5. The Swarm
6. Inferno
7. Rita
8. The Smiler
9. Saw
10. Oblivion
11. Colossus
12. Th13teen
13. Galactica

I went for Towers, but my top 3 is Nemesis, Wicker Man and Oblivion

Thorpe I'd say has the better one two punch with Hyperia and Stealth however

Can’t comment on Hyperia
But for me its

Nemesis
Smiler
Swarm

Followed by

Wicker
Oblivion
Saw
Stealth
Collosus
Thirteen
Air

I think there's a lot more variation in people's top 3 coasters at Thorpe compared with Towers.

For Towers, it's pretty broadly accepted that Nemesis and WM are up there with Smiler the most common ride to round out the 3 (order varies). For Thorpe, Hyperia will normally be up there along with pretty much any 2 from the other big 5 coasters. I'm fairly unusual in putting Colossus up there but you can make a case for any of them.