• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

B&M Interview - Ready for LSM Launch

BigAl

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Forbidden Journey
News Parcs has interviewed Walter Bolliger from B&M regarding their latest attractions, but one thing that stood out from it all was this:

Concerning future developments, Bolliger & Mabillard will not refuse to embark on the project of a launch coaster, a technology proposed by all its competitors and for which he made a hybrid creation (Incredible Hulk) for Universal's Islands of Adventure back in 1999. "If a customer comes to us to design a launch coaster, we will respond to him favorably. The technology is easily adaptable to our products and tracks as the LSM motors can be easily found on the market, and they are very efficient!" states Walter Bolliger.

So it looks like Hulk won't be an only child for much longer! Who will go to B&M for something first?

:D

Read the whole interview here.

Something I'd be interested in seeing would be a launched wing coaster from them. Launched 4D though? That would be quite something! :D

:p

Well now they've said that we can hope that a park somewhere will decide to go and get one! I'd love to see a B&M with a true launch (ie not a launched lift like Hulk), though it would be strange seeing one with a lift hill. It will be interesting to see how they go about doing them; whether the have a new coaster type for them or fit the LSMs to existing coaster types so to have a launched floorless and launched wing coaster etc.

EDIT: Reading what has been said again, it looks like launches could be used on a number of their current products.

:)

Ooooo, finally making the leap then I say, only taken them about 10 years+. But we can't really complain with the quality products they've been delivering anyway!

I tell you what I would love to see, a Launched Flyer! Now that would be quite something! :D

I wonder if they'd consider rolling launches too? Imagine incorporating a booster section onto an inverted coaster! ;D

I think the safest place to start would be with a floorless coaster. I assume they're the lightest of all of the B&M trains (along with the inverted)?

Sammy said:
I tell you what I would love to see, a Launched Flyer! Now that would be quite something! :D

This!! A launched flyer would be something I'd love to see. Could provide a real feeling of taking off to fly!

:)

World's first launched flying coaster. I've been banging on about this for years. If it happens, I'd have to consider purchasing a house as close as possible to the park that builds one!

I think they have been ready for a while, just nobody has wanted to buy one.

I'd imagine they will just buy external components.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Wilsy said:
I think they have been ready for a while, just nobody has wanted to buy one.

I'd imagine they will just buy external components.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

No one wants to take the chance and make the investment. They'll stick with products that they know B&M are already good at rather than taking a punt and hoping for the next big thing. I can think of one park in particular that takes the latter attitude... :p

In this climate not many parks are willing to take risks. It's rumoured that Merlin Studios are working with B&M to develop a 4D ride for Alton Towers, so maybe they may show an interest in a B&M launch (or incorporating the launch with the 4D ride).

If anything, Merlin are the most likely ones to be willing to go for this one day.

If B&M say they're ready, is it really a risk? These days they seem to get pretty much everything right. They're (if you can afford them) probably the safest roller coaster manufacturer to go with on a ride. They usually don't do things unless they're absolutely positive it will be a success.

Just look at their wing coaster. S&S and Intamin beat theme by a good number of years but B&M took their time and have released a very, very high quality product which has been a big hit with parks so far.

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that B&M didn't like Hulk. Sure, it saps a load of energy when it needs to launch, but as launches go, it's a pretty stunning opening to a ride! If I was at a park considering a B&M, I'd seriously consider adding a launch into the mix too! :)