• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Bad Attitudes

Fredward said:
Can I have sources for that claim Sam? Come on facts, figures, how are we supposed to have a good argument/discussion if claims like that are just made with no evidence behind it.

The original post claimed that soon Bulgarians and Romanians will have the right to move to the UK. Romanians and Bulgarians have had the right to move to the UK since 2007.

To quote from the UK Border Agency's website:

UK Border Agency said:
All EEA and Swiss nationals can enter and live in the UK without needing to apply for our permission, if they can support themselves and their families in the UK without becoming an unreasonable burden on public funds. But Bulgarian and Romanian nationals may need to apply for our permission before they can work here.

The information in the original post was wholly incorrect, it's as simple as that. Happy now? ::)

Ben said:
So it does make me smile abit when people say we arent nice, lord knows we've come along way from the dark ages! [/color]

Oh yes, in the olden days, when you text each other by candlelight and used baked bean tins and string to communicate whilst on park!

Compared to you, I'm an embryo here ;D

It does take a bit of work to 'get into' this forum community. But then doesn't it take a bit of work to get in any other community?

When you compare TowersStreet to other sites it's probably one of the friendlier ones. I've been on some horrible forums in the past. TowersStreet (and TowersTimes when the majority of people here formed that community) is the only community I've stayed with for, what, 7 years now! I've barely made it past 6 months on other forums without giving up due to rude people.

I think the problem lies really in forums as a whole. You get people from all walks of life, different upbringings, different ways of viewing the world... it's impossible for everyone to get on like a happy family. People can percept things differently, some people are easily upset, some people are as hard as a rock - given all of this conflict can easily happen. I don't think it's a problem that lies directly with the TowersStreet community though. More like, every community you can find out there!

In perspective, TowersStreet is a good enough community - and I'd say one of the best you can find on the internet.

I think the main issue with any 'attitude' is that, with anything on the internet, it can be interpreted in a different way by every single person who reads it. After all, everything we type is just text on a screen and we can't possibly always know how it is meant to be read or said. Sometimes things can come across as attacking to one person but acceptable to another whilst the original poster meant an entirely different meaning.

It's all objective really, and that makes it very hard to control and moderate. Generally we're all a bloody friendly bunch. It might take a while to feel totally involved with any online community - but if you take things with a pinch of salt and try not to read into them too much - things will be fine :)

Just a thought;
What if we had some kind of official system of special icons or smilies to indicate the tone of the post? things like sarcasm and friendly ripping could be signified in advance to help avoid them being taken seriously.

Sarcasm is nearly always negative and inflamatory, it's one of the biggest igniters of arguments on internet message boards in general - including here.

DiogoJ42 said:
Just a thought;
What if we had some kind of official system of special icons or smilies to indicate the tone of the post? things like sarcasm and friendly ripping could be signified in advance to help avoid them being taken seriously.

I have been campaigning for a THUMBS UP icon now for this for weeks - it's in the official guest services thread lol!!

There is a difference though addressing another point above, between friendly sarcasm, and that meant to deride others.

Text is an emotionless medium - it creates problems everywhere, it is doing so rather seriously for me in another area right now because said idiot refuses to speak like humans instead doing business like corporate robots. The principles are the same though.

Consider how your post will be read, with no emotion or context behind it - and also, do your best to communicate what you really mean. A couple of silly icons will help. :)

(I got the pee taken out of me for how many I use, I'd rather use TOO MANY and people know I am joking, than get misunderstood - doesn't seem so daft now, does it? ;) )

I think the tongue :p Icon is great for when you type something which is not meant to be taken seriously, and failing that, there is always the [sarcasm]I like this[/sarcasm] why of showing it is sarcasm. I think sarcasm work best when spoken, and you can hear the tone of voice it is said in. You can not see that when its written down.

Ian

Why you are absolutely right, Tom. How foolish of me to think otherwise. Please, feel free to publicly flog me in Fountain Square as a warning to others...

;)

Re: Re: Bad Attitudes

Tom said:
Sarcasm can't be delivered in a humourous way in writing, it is literally impossible...

My parade just got rained on. :( those words are more hurtful then all the sarcasm in the world.