• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

BBC article: Thrill ride technology: 'Bigger! Faster! Scarier!'

CGM

TS Member
A rollercoaster related article has been published on the BBC website which includes a quote from Mr. Wardley. Like so many articles covering the industry, both the video and written article are peppered full of inaccuracies and each seems to be pedaling a slightly different message. However, I do think that the written article raises some interesting points.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24553630

I'm not entirely sold on the idea that rollercoasters will give way to more audio-visual experiences in the near future. There was a very similar situation towards the end of the eighties when the thinking was that rollercoasters had been taken as far as they could go and that the future of rides was in simulators. Then B&M appeared on the scene and showed that the industry hadn't even scratched the surface of what a coaster could do. Whilst the likes of Universal and Disney will undoubtedly go down the multi-media attraction route, I don't think we'll see them becoming widespread in smaller parks for a long time.

The article suggests that the costs of coasters are spiraling out of control but I just don't think this is true. Companies such as Gerstlauer and Maurer are allowing smaller parks to get signature rides at an affordable price and in the US, RMC are producing world class coasters at a fraction of the cost of the market leaders.

The article uses the example of how the Smiler cost £18 million to back up its point but when adjusted for inflation, it works out as slightly more than Nemesis' £10 million in 1994. The Smiler is a much larger coaster than Nemesis and a prototype as well so at worst, the price of a cutting edge ride has remained the same.

It's not as if Spiderman or Harry Potter are affordable alternatives to coasters either. Whilst I think that we may see more coasters in the vein of Verbolten and Big Grizzly Mine cars, I think that the idea of the thrill coaster will continue to thrive and hopefully coaster technology will rise to the challenge.

Re: BBC News - Roller coaster technology: 'Bigger! Faster! Scarier!'

Sorry, just seen this in European Parks and Attractions :-[

Quite an interesting article, quite like the fact that he seems to have gone quite far in getting quotes from numerous different sources which make it a balanced debate. Not really convinced that the Maurer Skyloop really "pushes your body to the limits" though :p

r3t6.png

Top notch journalism right there.

Still yet to see a single article anywhere that has all of its facts right. :p

Re: BBC News - Roller coaster technology: 'Bigger! Faster! Scarier!'

Interesting article and I believe what they are saying - in terms of the human body and what it can cope with, i dont think they can go much further. However, what they can do is make the ride more immersive, more exciting.

Panda said:
Still yet to see a single article anywhere that has all of its facts right. :p

I also find it amusing, that in an article proclaiming the end of the coaster "arms race", they feature a new record breaking coaster...

Also, they fail to mention the woodie conversions - they cannot build up much higher, or go a great deal faster, so there are more inventive ways to create physical thrill.

I would be very surprised if the frankly staggering development costs of dark rides overtakes that of bending steel. Helix is just another example of how they prove their own article is a fallacy.

You cannot beat out and out thrill, if you like out and out thrill, you will never get a black run ski enthusiast wanting to do it indoors with effects, when they can be outside actually doing it.

I do not think roller coasters have yet reached their 'limit'. There's still a lot to be explored with roller coasters, it's just down to the creative minds within the industry to make things get a step forward.

The article sounds like it is subtly trying to inform the masses that there is more to amusement rides than just loops and roller coasters. If it gives dark rides and theme park theatrics more public awareness then it can only be a positive thing.