• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach - Advice

Vicky

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Oblivion
I'm visiting Pleasure Beach for the first time next Friday so the park is completely new to me and frankly, I have little knowledge of the place.

I was hoping that I could maybe get some advice on the place such as which rides I shouldn't miss, where and when to eat and when is best to ride the major coasters.

We'll stay two days but only do one on park, so as I have a MAP we'll likely visit the Tower and maybe other Merlin attractions also. Are they any good? I've never experienced the Dungeons before or a Madame. Tussaud's so although I have an idea what to expect I'm pretty much in the dark.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
:)

Nash, Valhalla, River Caves, Big One, Revolution, Wild Mouse, Dipper & Steeplechase are probably the ones you shouldn't miss. Though knowing my brain there's probably something incredibly obvious I've forgotten ><

If you like spin rides then Diego's Rainforest Recuse is a good laugh - probably the best spin ride in the entire park. On the other hand, if you're not into spinning don't bother with it as its a complete snooze-fest otherwise.

Avatar Airbender is worth a ride if the queue isn't too long. If it's really busy only do one of Nick Streak and Big Dipper (whichever appears to have the shorter queue), the ride experiences are fairly similar and neither is that amazing.

Whatever you do, don't go on flying machines if its raining or after Valhalla as its pretty cold up there.

Here's a few bits of advice-

Whilst the park opens at rouglhy 10am, rides on the park don't - they usually open gradually from 10.15am till 12pm. Rides that will probably open earliest are those near the entrance, particularly the Flying Machines, Derby Racer and Alice's Wonderland.

If queues are hefty, the biggies for most people are the Big One, Grand National, Valhalla, Infusion and Wild Mouse. The River Caves and Alice's Wonderland are little gems too.

There's a few free shows, a magic/puppet show near Infusion, and a new High Diving Show near the Big One's entrance. Times for these will be on a sheet they'll give you with your wristband. Saying that, you may not have time for these if you plan on trying most of the rides!

Finally, if you're pushed for time, i'd advise missing out on Impossible , Grand Prix and perhaps Avalanche. The first two are a waste of time really, and the latter can have extensive waiting times for what it is. If you really want to do it though, it's certainly quite unique for the UK.

Those are my quick tips. :)

Valhalla is a decent ride, but is the wettest ride in the world. Heed this warning, no matter how many macs, coats, jumpers, layers you will get soaked to the bone. No ifs, no buts, it will happen.
I would strongly advise taking spare clothes if you plan on riding and the weather isn't going to dry you alone.

It's a shame, because it's a good ride but the water makes it so much worse.

Avoid impossibru, it's a waste of space and time. Think one part 80s pub quiz, one part a crap tiny hex, yep it makes that much sense.

I do love the mouse, the big one is always worth a go, grand national is its own legend.

Also my fav is steeple chase, it's a unique ride that is so much fun.

Am I the only one who doesn't get absolutely drenched on Valhalla :p

If you go on Valhalla, sit on the right hand side of the boat. You won't get as wet! ;)

Michael said:

If you go on Valhalla, sit on the right hand side of the boat. You won't get as wet! ;)
You must be!

I got absolutely soaked in all seats.

To experience Valhalla properly, do not wear a rain poncho or a jacket. ;)
Just take a towel...

Longy said:
Michael said:

You must be!

Just take a towel...

I never wear a rain poncho, just a waterproof and put my rucksack over my lap. I usually ride it about 2/3 times when I am there and don't usually get that wet :p

Michael said:
Longy said:
Michael said:

You must be!

Just take a towel...

I never wear a rain poncho, just a waterproof and put my rucksack over my lap. I usually ride it about 2/3 times when I am there and don't usually get that wet :p
I wear a short sleave T shirt without any waterproof clothes, and my bag is squashed down the side of the boat.
I get soaked.

It's part of the fun!

You must try it!

Longy said:
Michael said:
Longy said:
Michael said:

You must be!

Just take a towel...

I wear a short sleave T shirt without any waterproof clothes, and my bag is squashed down the side of the boat.
I get soaked.

It's part of the fun!

You must try it!

If I get to PB tomorrow I will do ;)

As for food, I don't believe there are many places at Pleasure Beach for vegetarians so I suggest you browse the website beforehand; I'm aware Emberton's near Nash does vegetarian sandwiches and you might be lucky with the Big Pizza Kitchen over in Nick Land. Just keep in mind that you can't bring your own food.

Imposibru is the worst thing in the world. Avoid.

If you get there when it opens you should easily be able to do all the main coasters and flats.

I normally do Valhalla first, or close to first, as it's near the entrance and to get the wetness out the way. Ice Blast or whatever they call it these days is next to it, so I normally do that next, then it's just a case of walking round doing whatever rides you go past.

River Caves is a very charming little ride, so you could fit that in as a break, and I'd have recommended Gold Mine but that's gone now. Revolution, Wild Mouse and Nash are the best coasters in my opinion. PMBO has to be done, but it's not a great ride.

Valhalla is incredible, and you will get soaked. Sit on your poncho and cover as much of yourself with it as possible, put your feet on the sides, whatever you do, you will still get wet, you'll just have to embrace it I'm afraid. :p

oldgitben said:
Valhalla is a decent ride, but is the wettest ride in the world. Heed this warning, no matter how many macs, coats, jumpers, layers you will get soaked to the bone. No ifs, no buts, it will happen.

I wear a poncho and the only thing that gets wet is the bottom of my Jeans, you can ride without getting wet.

Rules for staying dry...

AVOID THE FRONT!!

If you mange that....

1.) Put your poncho on in the queue and roll up your sleeves if you have them.

2.) When getting in the boat be sure to stand on the seat and place your feet on the rafter in front. Otherwise your feet are submerged and the water rushes around the boat when moving causing your feet to get soaked.

3.) Put the poncho hood up! Although you don't need it up until the 1st drop. If you need to hold on down the drop, pull the poncho hood over your face and hold with your teeth lol. (Remember to keep your feet off the floor)

4.) Hood needed areas are - both drops, hammers & arc of water.

5.) Beware of the pool of water that will have collected in your lap on your poncho. Before exiting, flick it all over the idiot in front who decided on no to a poncho :D

There, a dry Valhalla ride. Always works for me. ;D

Thanks very much everyone for all the advice you've given me so far, it's been really good. I do doubt that I will actually do Valhalla, I love water rides but I won't touch a dark ride with a bargepole.

I know that it's daft to ask what queues will be like, as no-one can predict that, but I'm guessing roughly 40 minutes-ish for the "main" coasters?
Also - if anyone has seen it - is Hot ice any good?

I was actually thinking of doing Impossible but now I'll cross that off my list and try to get Nash, Steeplechase, PMBO, Mouse, Dipper and Rev done and then see where to go from there.

Again, thanks very much for the advice!

Shame you feel that about dark rides as The Pleasure Beach has some great ones. Alice In Wonderland ftw :D

The Hot Ice is a brilliant show and well worth watching. Last years was really good.