Cancelled: Phased Enchanted Village Expansion

Discussion in 'Planning Portal Archive' started by Jordan, 24th Jan 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben

Ben TS Founding Member

Favourite Ride:
    Your Dad
    LOL.

DiogoJ42 likes this.
  2. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Documents are now up for this; only had a brief look but in short it is a three phased development opening between 2019 and 2021. There are 35 double lodges planned overall creating 70 new rooms; 52 of these rooms will open in March 2019 (the rest are for phase three).

There will be a new dedicated reception building in phase 3 of the development and when this opens the existing reception will close.

Phase 1 (works being June 2018, opening March 2019):
    Phase 2 (works begin March 2020):
    Phase 3 (works begin March 2021):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Basically it is a long way off. And I think even this shows the dire financial position Towers are in right now - they have chosen to spread the cost of this development over 3 financial periods rather than in just one.

It looks like the Crooked Spoon may be expended and they already have pemission for this. Overall though I am far from convinced.

At least come late 2021/early 2022 the whole development should look and feel more complete and whole.

:)

Posted 2nd Feb 2016
  3. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Overall it should be a reasonable expansion, but it doesn't look perfect. It has already been reported that the Crooked Spoon can't cope with the number of guests wanting breakfast there. What happens when all the new guests want breakfast too?
    The entertainment looks like a good idea, but is only suitable for June/July/August really. Who is really going to want outdoor entertainment in Winter? Unless they are going to do bonfires for ScareFest! (This is also one of the things that doesn't seem right on CBeebies land, having the main stage area outdoors).
    It looks like reception will move up to the top of the site by the car park, this makes sense for it to be close to the car park, I assume therefore the exisiting reception can be used as extra crooked spoon space.

In one respect it seems nice to have "outdoor" accommodation, while still offering real hotel style rooms, not tents. But on the other hand making it outdoors means it isn't great for Mar/Apr/Sept/Oct stays.

Posted 2nd Feb 2016
  4. PeteB

PeteB TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    More moronic developments.

Bang goes the last possible site for their 3rd hotel. I wonder how long it's going to take them to realise the financial drain the lodges are causing on the business? Never mind, just throw more money at it and keep building sub par lodges no one wants to stay in.

Towerslover, MaxPower and DiogoJ42 like this.
    Posted 2nd Feb 2016
  5. James

James TS Founding Member

I see where they're going with an outdoor experience, but this is the UK, it rains most of the year. Good to see they're at least trying with some entertainments stuff, but an indoor building would have been far better, given that the resort desperately needs it. An outdoor stage will be no use for Scarefest and Fireworks... the two busiest times of the year, where the resort usually hits capacity. Does anyone involved in this actually know how the resort runs?

It's so frustrating that entertainments is overlooked with resort developments, when ents is at the core of the Alton Towers experience.

Anyway spreading this over several years is a shame. I would rather they shelve the expansion until the park recovers and they're in better position.

Posted 2nd Feb 2016
  6. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Do you know for certain they are a "financial drain"?

I agree that a proper hotel would be a lot more practical as the lodges are only really good for summer, I think it always was the intention that they are only open during the theme park season (in fact I think any third hotel would be closed outside of theme park season).

But without knowing the occupancy rates how do we know how successful they are?

Posted 3rd Feb 2016
  7. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Don't forget what is being billed as a 'third hotel' is due to open between now and the expansion of the Enchanted Village.

Posted 3rd Feb 2016
  8. Jordan

Jordan TS Contributor

I don't know how successful the lodges have been so far but I imagine the first year's figures will be unfairly skewed by The Smiler incident.

However, to me it does not make a lot of sense that given the overall constraint on space for future hotel expansion, the park are choosing to build more low density accommodation. I'd expect guest figures to gradually increase over time and this doesn't leave much land left for the future.

jon81uk likes this.
    Posted 3rd Feb 2016
  9. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    I agree to an extent. However with all existing rooms, a 70 room expansion of the Enchanted Village and a new 74 room hotel I think they have more than enough accommodation to keep them going for a good while. Once all current projects are complete I can't imagie that they will have to think about any more new accommodation until nearing 2030.

They could always incorporate another new hotel in with some form of entertainment complex on the Air car park - plenty of space there and can build down to keep it all out of view.

jon81uk likes this.
    Posted 3rd Feb 2016
  10. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

I really don't understand AT lately and I don't understand these new proposals for even more lodges, on top of the hotel expansion!!! Some people have joked on Facebook that the accommodation area will be bigger than the theme park in the future, and they may be right!

As I said before, the theme park is in dire need of updating and maintenance. So many rides closed. The waterpark is too small for ATH and Splash, let alone EV and now these extra rooms on top. The mini golf isnt really much of an attraction anymore. Entertainment is poor. Restaurants particularly the wooden spoon struggle to cope at busy periods.

And then there are the prices. I havent booked this year which is a first for me, due to the lack of the deposit system this year and also the prices, and lack of anything to really interest me in going back and staying over. The prices are too expensive full stop, particularly considering what you are getting. The only thing really going for the hotels to be truthful is the fact they are on site. Yeah sure they may have a nice "feel" about them, but is that really worth the extra money, when you can stay in a bigger room with air con for a quarter of the price down the road?

Rather than build more rooms they should be focusing on encouraging people into the theme park, and then encouraging them to stay over with cheaper hotel rooms and cheaper package prices. A family of four is looking around £500 for a night with tickets and waterpark in the summer..... and for what?

Merlin seem focused on the accommodation side of things now. Perhaps there has been a reversal in revenue and the accommodation is now making the money rather than the theme park....

MaxPower and DiogoJ42 like this.
    Posted 3rd Feb 2016
  11. Martin

Martin TowersStreet Member

I think Merlin would be perfectly happy with this arrangement.

Posted 3rd Feb 2016
  12. EuroSatch

EuroSatch TowersStreet Member

Merlin won't need to be concerned as they are clearly building the resort up to sell. Cutting operating costs down to the bare minimum, disposing of already depreciated assets whilst investing in capex projects that look good on the balance sheet.

JB1985 likes this.
    Posted 3rd Feb 2016
  13. Jonathan

Jonathan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix <3
    The page on the Planning Portal has a date where the SMDC Planning Committee will meed to discuss (and hopefully decide) on this application. They will be meeting on Thursday April 14th - next week.

Posted 8th Apr 2016
  14. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Indeed, and officers from SMDC have recommended that the application be approved.

Jonathan likes this.
  15. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

Worlds first theme park resort fully dedicated to hotels

MaxPower, jack_s and DiogoJ42 like this.
  16. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
  17. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    According to the TowersStreet Twitter page, work has started outside the Enchanted Village that could be for this. What do you guys think?

18. Towerslover

Towerslover TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Icon
    I cannot believe they are doing this. More accommodation? Especially when splash now seems to be a part time hotel

MaxPower likes this.
  19. Danny

Danny Gugu Rides’ Number 1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Unknown - Parque dos Elefantes
    There's going to be more hotels than rides at this rate.

MaxPower and DiogoJ42 like this.
  20. bluesonichd

bluesonichd TowersStreet Member

They may be trying to build one hotel room per every visiter on park, just in case

MaxPower and Matt N like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.