• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coaster Legs

TheMan

TS Member
Favourite Ride
NemiLerVion
Poor old Duckman had to tolerate 6 hours in a car with me on Friday, however we did have some interesting conversations - one of which was a chat about when we discovered we enjoyed coasters.

Now strangely, John and I both seemed to get our "coaster legs" as I call them, a little later in our teenage years, and although I cannot keep up with that frankly almost bionic level of ride whoring that John can nowadays, I am still all about getting on as many as possible and wasting as little time on park as possible. Always have been. (Sometimes to the great annoyance of some of my friends who like picnics in front of the Towers etc ;) )

This did make me wonder a couple of things though, mainly... when did people discover their "coaster legs", but also, does the way you enjoy a park correspond with how early or late in life you found them?

So for me it was around 17, when faced with being embarrassed by my then g/f younger brother, I went on a certain DMP Pinfari looper. I dreaded every moment of it, and can still remember my other friend saying "look to the side as you go round the loop" and from that moment on, my obsession was born.

;D

My coaster legs were found at age 9. (2008 because saw was being built!) My dad took us to thorpe park. I rode colossus and loved it. Ever since loved roller coasters, I'm now dragging him on rides 4 years on. I like parks for the rides and the "feel" of them, whether they improved from when I first went. Thorpe definitely has!

Probably around 2011, I hadn't been to towers very often at all. But because this time I was with friends I had to go on the rides so I wasn't ridiculed. First "proper rollercoaster" I rode was Air, haven't looked back since.

Jables said:
Probably around 2011, I hadn't been to towers very often at all. But because this time I was with friends I had to go on the rides so I wasn't ridiculed. First "proper rollercoaster" I rode was Air, haven't looked back since.

So glad my first coaster wasn't air, makes me feel rough lol!!

I can't remember when I got my 'coaster legs'. I've always had 'theme park thighs' (sorry, best I could come up with!) thanks to annual trips to Drayton Manor growing up, but it wasn't until I was older (probably mid teens) that I really learned to love coasters. I can't even remember my first, and that makes me a little sad. Ah well, definitely making up for it now! :twirly:

It was 13 years ago when riding oblivion as my first coaster always wanted to ride nemesis from about the age of 3

I don't know where about my coaster legs appeared. I loved going to alton with my school, nemesis was the my first coaster. after leaving school, years passed as I settled down, a few step kids and a daughter of my own, during this time i did only one theme park.

then after the middle step daughter finished school she wanted to go to alton towers with her boyfriend, and asked and my mate to go too. so i could drive them. first coaster I went on was nemesis. That is when my love of coaster came back.

Pixie-Ro said:
I've always had 'theme park thighs' (sorry, best I could come up with!)

OK, that's going in the title.

josht said:
It was 13 years ago when riding oblivion as my first coaster always wanted to ride nemesis from about the age of 3

Oblivion first lad?! Crikey!

delta79 said:
first coaster I went on was nemesis. That is when my love of coaster came back.

;D

First coaster I went on was the Runaway Minetrain waaaayyy back in 1997, but I can't really remember it much. However, after riding the Corkscrew in 1999, my obsession started. I just love the adrenaline rush that you get on a ride, and that feeling of euphoria you get when going down a huge drop or flying over an airtime hill. The kind of stuff that can't be replicated on anything else. :)

14 years on, I now operate the Runaway Minetrain (among other things :) ), and I'm still as obsessed with coasters as I always have been. I'm probably more geeky now since I've met all of you guys, and I can actually chat about the things that drove my parents and siblings mad for years... :p

Hmm, I cant remember what age I was but growing up near Barry Island and Porthcawl in South Wales I always used to go with the grandparents to the funfairs, and would always go for the biggest rollercoasters these places would have at the time. Thats what started it for me, the bright lights, the sights, the smells, the music.

Then in 1993 a girl I was seeing mentioned about going to Alton Towers. I had never been, though I had heard of it. We went up that year for the day and I was blown away. Thunderlooper, The Black Hole, The Beast, Corkscrew.... OMG, how come I had missed this place all my life. I guess at this stage in my life I was about 17.

I remember seeing the military vehicles around where Nemesis now is, totally unaware what a SW was, and thought it was all real (doh!). I returned next year to ride Nemesis and thats it, I was hooked.

Since then, rain or shine (or even snow blizzards) I have been to Alton Towers without fail. I hope to continue to do so until I can no longer walk. Then i will whizz around it in my electric buggy and get to the front of the queues before all the young-un's and flash my two fingers up to them all waiting in the queue for the next biggest ride of the future lol.