• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coaster Poll Round 1 Group 2

R1G2 (2 votes)

• Shock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Formula

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Alpina Bahn

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Balder

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Flug Der Damonen

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Batman La Fuga

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Martin

TS Member
Here we are, the big coaster poll is under way. The first two groups of 6 go live today for one week, and you can vote for the two coasters you want to go through to the next round. The rules are explained here. Only 5 youtube videos can be embedded per post, so there will be three coasters in this post and the other three will be in the reply, so the ordering of the coasters is randomised.

Don't just anonymously vote, as a vote in the replies may be the difference between your favourite going through or going out, and discussion is fun!

ROUND 1 GROUP 2
Shock, Rainbow MagicLand, Italy

Formuła, Energylandia, Poland

Alpina Bahn, Various

Balder, Liseberg, Sweden

Flug der Dämonen, Heide Park, Germany

Batman: La Fuga, Parque Warner Madrid

Formula and Alpina-Bahn for me. Formula because despite being short, it's still a good coaster, and somewhere like Drayton could benefit from having one. Alpina-Bahn because it's one of the best travelling coasters out there.

Formula was a great surprise; glass smooth and offers plenty in its short layout. Paired with the epic air time rides on Balder last weekend, these two win by a country mile.

Alpina Bahn gets my first vote, as I love me a good old Shwarzy. (In fact I rate it higher than Looping!)
My second vote goes to Batman, while I've not been on it, a it's a classic B&M design.

I've done all of these, but in some cases only once and in other cases not in the past 5 years or so which makes choosing difficult. Think I've got it all worked out now though.

Shock. This sat just outside my top 20 in my 2012 MH ballot. I can't imagine it's improved much really, so not one of my picks

Forumula - a ride I've only done once. It's an excellent ride using Vekoma's latest fabrication techniques but a bit rough around the edges - those tents FTL. Still getting a vote from me though.

Alpina Bahn - almost, but not quite, as good as Knightmare. Side note - the fair in that POV has a phenomenal coaster line up - 2 massive Schwarzkopfs plus Hollenblitz and a pair of mirrored wild mice, plus whatever else may be there.

Balder - It's just so nearly great. All they had to do was to make the corners a bit more interesting. Airtime is all well and good but NOTHING HAPPENS on any of the corners, and there's a lot of them.

Batman - B&M at their best. Easy decision here.

Flug der Damonen - another Merlin mid-scale wing coaster, another one I'm not giving a vote to.

Again I've done 2/3rds of these, and again I agree with John (not purposely copying you, honest!).

• Shock - this looks like a big improvement on G-Force, and with that pace perhaps as intense as the truly face-rending Freischutz, but I'm not at all convinced by the layout.
  • Formula - what's with those tents? The trackwork seems to flow beautifully, and I hear this ride system's a bit good.
  • Alpina Bahn - I did this once. I remember the first hill delivering a baffling amount of airtime relative to how it appeared to be profiled, and I know I enjoyed it, but that's it. Knightmare/Jetline it ain't.
  • Balder - the airtime this delivered just over a week ago was utterly absurd. I can't remember the last time I laughed so much on a coaster. Unfortunately it's not always that good, and those corners between the hills are a bit like the train's going, "Right, just lining you up for the next hill. Won't take long". Ho hum. A bit of lateral force would help.
  • Batman - very forceful, and the way the curves and rolls flow into each other is superb.
  • Flug der Damonen - feels much more substantial than Swarm, and one of the few good things about Heide Park. Decidedly lacking compared to the competition here however.

I too have done all of these, but like John, it's been a few years for some of them. Quite a strong group here. My votes go to;

1. Batman La Fuga - The first Batman I rode and still the best, and there's been quite a few since! Very intense layout and glass smooth. I remember riding this about 7 times in a row with Astro and the intensity really started getting to me. Top coaster!

2. Alpina Bahn - Great classic Schwarzy and up there with Olympia for me. I did actually prefer it to Olympia until I rode Olympia in 'Oktoberfest mode' (the extra car) at Winter Wonderland a couple of years ago. Typically forceful and amazingly operated every time I've seen it.

Others;
Balder - I think the overhype killed it for me, sure there is some great airtime but those corners are a borefest.
Shock - Good fun coaster with a decent rolling launch. Nothing special though.
Formula - Again, a decent, fun coaster with nothing offensive about it. Not a patch on Lech coaster up the road though. Slight sentimental value as it was my 700th coaster!
Flug der Damonen - Definitely up there as one of my favourite wing coasters and I much prefer it to Swarm. Wing coasters just aren't my thing though.