• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Controversial Alton Towers Opinions

Unpopular opinion: oblivion is in my top 2 (just behind nemesis). It gets a lot of unnecessary hate for being “a one trick pony”. But, isn’t that the whole point of a dive coaster? The drop IS the experience, the anticipation with the queue line videos, the music, the slow CLACK CLACK CLACK up the lift hill and the even slower turn around into the drop, the hang time over the edge looking into a misty hole of nothingness and then the drop itself…Any elements after it are unnecessary filler. Now I’m basing this off the fact I haven’t ridden another dive coaster other than Oblivion but I cannot see them having the same impact!

Yes, it may be the “shortest” ride on park but once you add in all those psychological factors I’ve raised above. It actually becomes one of the longest rides on site.

Oblivion is still the only coaster to this day which I feel a pang of fear, apprehension and an increased heart rate for. I dont what it is, but its certainly my favourite coaster at the Towers for sure.

Unpopular opinion: oblivion is in my top 2 (just behind nemesis). It gets a lot of unnecessary hate for being “a one trick pony”. But, isn’t that the whole point of a dive coaster? The drop IS the experience, the anticipation with the queue line videos, the music, the slow CLACK CLACK CLACK up the lift hill and the even slower turn around into the drop, the hang time over the edge looking into a misty hole of nothingness and then the drop itself…Any elements after it are unnecessary filler. Now I’m basing this off the fact I haven’t ridden another dive coaster other than Oblivion but I cannot see them having the same impact!

Yes, it may be the “shortest” ride on park but once you add in all those psychological factors I’ve raised above. It actually becomes one of the longest rides on site.
I’ve only ridden Sheikra alongside Oblivion and Oblivion’s stop is much more forceful than Sheikra, I actually think it’s better

I’ve only ridden Sheikra alongside Oblivion and Oblivion’s stop is much more forceful than Sheikra, I actually think it’s better
SheiKra blows Oblivion out of the water. Especially if you get an offload side edge seat. Also like the way Sheikra main drop is all above ground - on a breezy day you can feel the track wobbling slightly on the turnaround at the top as you enjoy a brief view of the Tampa skyline.

SheiKra blows Oblivion out of the water. Especially if you get an offload side edge seat. Also like the way Sheikra main drop is all above ground - on a breezy day you can feel the track wobbling slightly on the turnaround at the top as you enjoy a brief view of the Tampa skyline.
I don’t personally think it does, I don’t reckon much to Sheikra at all. Oblivion’s drop is more intense

I actually thought the invitation was pretty cool.
It's not strictly an 'Alton Towers' controversial opinion, but my controversial opinion about The Invitation is that it was worse than The Terminal at Thorpe. At least The Terminal was relaxing, whereas The Invitation wasn't.

I mean the air pressure when you hit that tunnel and the “WHOOOOMPH” would surely be missing from Sheikras drop?

This is the great thing with Oblivion, there’s quite a few things going on with it that most other dive coasters can’t match. There are the differences with the shuttle, angle of drop, and wheels etc that give it a forceful drop but I think perhaps there’s a lot going on psychologically and in other regards that make it seem so forceful. The change in the air pressure and sounds once you enter the hole, the fact that you can’t see the bottom of the hole and where it levels out, and also the way that you can’t see anything else relative to you to judge your descent or speed. They absolutely nailed the drop on this one, it’s so effective in what it set out to do.

But having said that though I prefer Valkyria over it (the only other dive coaster I’ve ridden) just because it feels like a more rounded ride even though the drop is very different to Oblivion’s.

Last edited:
This is the great thing with Oblivion, there’s quite a few things going on with it that most other dive coasters can’t match. There are the differences with the shuttle, angle of drop, and wheels etc that give it a forceful drop but I think perhaps there’s a lot going on psychologically and in order regards make it seem so forceful. The change in the air pressure and sounds once you enter the hole, the fact that you can’t see the bottom of the hole and where it levels out, and also the way that you can’t see anything else relative to you to judge your descent or speed. They absolutely nailed the drop on this one, it’s so effective in what it set out to do.

But having said that though I prefer Valkyria over it (the only other dive coaster I’ve ridden) just because it feels like a more rounded ride even though the drop is very different to Oblivion’s.

I’ve done a couple of dive coasters other than oblivion with Sheikra being one and I have to say, neither of them come close to Blivvy……
I hope they refurb it soon and do it justice again as it still is a cracking ride.

Would like to ride the clone - but don’t fancy a trip to Taiwan (isn’t that where it is)