• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coughing in public in 2023... Acceptable or not?

Is coughing in public acceptable in 2023?

• Total voters

Skyscraper

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
A fair few years ago people wouldn't bat an eyelid of someone was coughing near them, bit since lockdown people are less accepting of it, some more than others. I've had a cough for around a week now and still went out as it was starting, but after it got worse I stayed at home. Hoping I'll be able to go out tomorrow as I'm not coughing as much, but will decide in the morning.

So, my question to you is how do you feel towards people coughing on public these days? Do you lump it or do you despise it?

Sometimes you have to cough. Can't be helped. So I don't judge people for it. There's also many reasons someone could be coughing beyond having an infectious illness. It is after all just the body's way of clearing the airways.

However it's all about the manner in which people are coughing. Are they turning away from others or covering their mouth? No problem. Coughing straight at other people with no attempt to prevent it? Then that's not OK, even in a pre-covid world. It's sad that it took a pandemic for many people to realise this (and of course some still havn't).

Sometimes you have to cough. Can't be helped. So I don't judge people for it. There's also many reasons someone could be coughing beyond having an infectious illness. It is after all just the body's way of clearing the airways.

However it's all about the manner in which people are coughing. Are they turning away from others or covering their mouth? No problem. Coughing straight at other people with no attempt to prevent it? Then that's not OK, even in a pre-covid world. It's sad that it took a pandemic for many people to realise this (and of course some still havn't).

Agree with this. Can't answer the poll as it isn't a straight yes/no. Of course people should be able to cough when out their house, they could just have asthma, or some food went down wrong or all sorts of other non-infectious reasons. But they should turn away from people and cover their mouth. But if people know they are ill with a cold/flu/covid they should stay at home if possible or consider using a mask.