• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Define a family, what is a family?

What should a family Merlin annual pass option really be?

• It's upto them

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A standard family option should be made and stuck with across all of Merlin's U.K. attractions to cl

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A family pass should have no age limit, a family is still a family regardless of age as long as you

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Children allowed to be included on a family pass rate upto their 18th birthday

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Children allowed to be included on a family pass rate upto their 16th birthday

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

damos1indisguise

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Valhalla
So quite a few of us on here would of encountered the problem in passes for families, so I am asking you all to define a family and hopefully with the right option chosen this poll is listened to as the whole age/height structure is very confusing leaving many families going ???

Merlin have so many opinions group wise on what a family is so help is needed from us all to say what is a family?

Is a family 2 adults and 1 child?

Is a family 2 adults and 1 child over 3 or 1 child over 4 or 1 child over 1 metre or 0.9 metres?

Is a family in the case of Blackpool tower 1 child over 1 as between 1 and 3 a child needs to pay for the circus just because they sit down, or they have to pay a fiver to use jungle Jims even if the parent cannot use their pass to play.

Is a child legally an adult with them when they are over 12 but they cannot buy cigarettes until 16 or alcohol until over 18?

Should a family ticket be allowed to be bought by a family up until a child is over 16 or 18 or 21 to allow a family purchase rate?

Should a family ticket be allowed to be purchased by a family regardless of age because as long as they are part of the same family they are still a family even if all grown up.

Should in the case of annual passes a child be able to buy a part season pass until their birthday takes them over 1 3 or 4? 0.9 metre/1.0metre to cover for when a child must buy their own pass to keep purchase dates together or should they be forced to buy a pass if their birthday would mean they need 1 mid season?

So, so, so many options we need to define ourselves what exactly does a family mean?

:D ;D

I saw this on tapatalk and hoped this was going to be a philosophical debate...

In terms of selling tickets, a family is whatever the ticket seller defines it as, you blur the lines its open to abuse.

a03d951531fd44a6a530d78.png

This?

According to the current MAP family pass T&C's, a family can be 3 people over the age of 12.

TPMC said:
Scott said:
Alright, but why an adult is 12 years old? To ride with small kids adult need to be 18! Where is the logic?
Because, as a twelve year old, you can generally ride all the big rides.

They could do it by height and the same thing would apply. Only 2 over 1.4m guests per family ticket. It would be unfair, in terms of theme parks, to let people in who are tall enough to ride at a cheaper price.

Aw Scott, I can't do a poll in a poll ;)

Define adult lol:

10/12/14/16/18/21/over 1.4 metres/if you can ride all of my rides you are paying full price :)

Its whatever they want it to be - its their business, they make the rules, and you choose to purchase business from them under their rules... or not.

Simples.

The 12 year old adult rule has been in theme parks since I was a kid, they define it be how many rides you can access and as Joel says its really their business decision.

The age system works better (even though you could argue it's an easy money grabber). Height systems would never work purely down to the fact that a chunk of guests would have to be measured and this would result in a time consuming system.

I agree that a family consists of whatever Merlin wants to define it as under thier own policy. For example I dont agree with my children (aged 4 and 5) being charged the child rate to go to AT since there is only a quarter of the park they can use. But at the same time I wouldnt want a tall ten year old (i used to be in this catergory) having to pay for rides they wont be allowed/want to go on.

Other than that my own opinion is that Adult and Children passes should be different prices since essentially a child MAP is less value than an Adult pass. The way I justify this is by knowing that as long as I use the pass wisely over the next year I will get more than double my money back and every Sunday when the kids ask "to go to the special park and ride on the train" (they like the monorail best it would seem) that I can say yes without worrying about the costs involved.