• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Describe your first ever ride on your current number 1 attraction

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. Sorry if there's already a thread like this, but I made this thread on another forum I'm on, so I would be interested to hear what you guys have to say in this topic. As the title would imply, the topic is for describing your first ever ride on your current favourite attraction. I'll get the ball rolling by telling you guys the story of my firs ever ride on my current number 1; Mako at SeaWorld Orlando:
My first ever ride on Mako (23rd August 2016)
I had been anticipating Mako for a long time prior to our August 2016 Florida holiday. In fact, I'd been anticipating it since it was first announced in May 2015. After I discovered that my family had bought 14-day SeaWorld tickets for our latest holiday to the sunshine state, my excitement crept up another few notches. Then, many months later, the day of my very first ride came; 23rd August 2016. However, I didn't think I was in with much chance of riding it, as my parents had explicitly stated to me that that day was a day to look at animals, not to ride coasters, and that we would likely ride Mako later in our trip.

The ride teased me for the whole day while we were at SeaWorld Orlando; I could see happy riders screaming on the ride from the Sea Lion Stadium, there was a promo for it in the Shamu Stadium and we even nearly rode it in the middle of our day when it was on a 30 minute wait. Alas, it was not to be. However, towards the end of the day, the ride had a 10 minute wait, so my family and I decided to get in line.

My excitement kept on creeping upwards as we walked through the queue; I was finally getting on what was arguably my most anticipated ride of Florida 2016. Then, my excitement crept up again when I saw that B&M hyper train waiting in the station. I was finally riding Mako.

We were seated in row 2 for our ride, and I had a relatively loose lap bar! I was anticipating great things as we left the station and crested the lift hill! However, part of me didn’t know what to expect from Mako, as the only airtime-focused coaster I’d ridden before that was Megafobia at Oakwood. Due to this, part of me was thinking “What if this airtime isn’t as good as the enthusiasts online all say it is? Then there won’t be any inversions to make it interesting!” But that part of me was hastily silenced as soon as we crested the lift hill...

because the first drop ejected me out of my seat like there was no tomorrow! After that, our Mako train careened through a brilliant overbank and into the first major airtime moment, which had me flying out of my seat for a good couple of seconds! It was insane! Then, our Mako train navigated a hammerhead turn with amazing precision before ascending into another airtime hill which had just as much force and length as the first one! Then came another one... and another one... and another one! The airtime just kept on coming, and I was loving it! My bottom briefly met the seat again during the MCBR, but was then launched out of it again during yet another airtime moment! After another airtime hill, our Mako train negotiated what is arguably the most iconic sequence of elements on the ride; the banked turns above the plaza. Our train swooped to the right and then to the left, before swooping over the water and coming into the brake run with one final pop of airtime...

I was amazed. I think my family was too, as they were all grinning along with me! That first ride on Mako was quite frankly breathtaking, and I knew straight away that the only place for it in my coaster rankings was the very top! It had tons of airtime (a lot more than any other ride I’ve ever done), packed some great G’s, had great pacing and was as smooth as can be, so I would have been rude not to have it as my number 1! 2 more rides on the coaster later in our trip only furthered Mako’s lead, and it’s still my number 1 2 years later!

So, what were your guys’ first experiences of your number 1 attraction like?
P.S. Sorry for the insanely long post.

Love Mako. Back row left is the money seat for me. I push out my stomach and legs as they're checking the restraint, keeps it nice and loose for a bit more air.

Difficult to pick out a favourite attraction but I rate my coasters on how rerideable they are and my number one is Kumba at BGT. I wouldn't be great at writing a description but all I can say is I wasn't expecting much on my first go. Well I came off absolutely buzzing and had to go again and again. Still takes my breath away every time I visit. Don't know why but it seemed to be running better this Summer than any other year I visited.

Kumba is great. Old school B&M at its finest, and comfortably my #3. I prefer Montu and Nemesis overall, probably because inverts are my favourite coaster type (from admittedly limited experience). Kumba in the back seat is probably the most intense coaster ride I've had!

I need to get back to Florida to ride Mako and all the other new stuff. Hopefully 2020 is the year!

I believe that my first ride on Steel Vengeance consisted of many expletives due to just how incredible the whole experience was. A ride that does not give you a break from start to finish, truly in a class of its own.

:)

That would still be Nemesis for me...being an old git who doesn't travel well.
And describe it?
No recollection whatsoever apart from the fact it still looked like the real quarry that it was, and it went straight to the number one spot, stomping on a certain rodent.
All those years ago, but still less than half my lifetime ago.
It beat PMBO hands down for me.
Rode them both once or twice that year though!

Mako really is great isn't it? Lost count of how many times I rode it. HP: Forbidden Journey is the best ride IMO but Mako by far the best coaster in Orlando!

My number one is Taron, by quite a distance - I'd got a bit bored of coasters and theme parks, and had become more of a casual visitor but last December the Mrs wanted to visit some Christmas markets, so I suggested Cologne so we could sneak in a day at Phantasialand. I'd been there on a school trip in 2004 and loved it.

I had no idea Taron was so highly rated as I didn't read any forums around this time, but thought it looked pretty good. First of all the themeing is stunning. Then there's the sound of the second launch and I realised this coaster is going to be pretty special.

Waited around 30 mins and an extra 10 for the front row. The seats are very comfortable and spacious, pretty much identical to the Mack launchers. The first launch is fairly tame but still decent enough - the first half of the ride is nice and floaty and fun. Then the second launch is just insane, taking you up to the highest point and back down to the madness that follows. It's all a bit of a blur from here tbh just a very intense coaster with good airtime.

Only got on it twice as it was fairly busy and we wanted to check out the whole park but I'll be back soon - definitely booking an on site hotel to get that Taron ERT.

Basically it reignited my inner theme park dork/airtime whore. I'd only really done UK parks before, as well as Europa, PA and Florida parks. Taron kind of made me realise 'holy crap why haven't I been on more coasters that are this intense with only a lap restraint'. So the aim now is to get on other coasters that try to literally throw you out of the train. Eg all the RMC's, Skyrush, El Toro.

Another one for Taron. With Lap bars, being quite forceful and having airtime it ticks afew boxes personally.
The whole klugheim area impressed me alot. Love the mist and red lighting on the second launch especially at night. And those lsm launches, what a sound

Has to be the Nash for me. I was 4 years old, it was night time, the PB was full of that night time buzz, and my dad spent the entire ride trying to hold me in the seat.

I absolutely loved it, and have been addicted ever since.....my dad regret's it to this day as it lead to countless days out being at Blackpool rather than anywhere else as I grew up lol.

Saturday morning just gone at Phantasialand. A 60 minute queue through that enormous cattle pen, but at the end the front row queue was pretty much empty so I went for that option.

Even from the videos and reviews I'd seen I wasn't sure what to expect. Sort of worried that I'd built the whole thing up so much.

The ride was excellent, the high point being THAT second LSM launch and the almighty roar it gives off as you end up going past the waterfall. All the interactions with the ride, Raik, and Klugheim itself. Even at the end after you think it's over with the airtime hill it packs a nice little section after that.

I was very impressed after that and thought it was excellent. The nightime ert confirmed it as number one though, flying round Klugheim in the pitch black was a phenomenal experience.

Monster at Walygator.

Jaw, meet floor.

Anything more than that would contain language likely to see me banned.

Nemesis (not sue if thats my number one, but its the first one that came to mind).

It was okay but was my last coaster of the day and I got a sore head, was probably dehydrated at the time. Ive been back four times now and it's become my favourite in the park. Funny how things change. I really liked Air on my first visit but last time I rode it without VR I thought it was a bit dull, for example.

Shambhala for me. My first experience of a B&M Hyper and still the best. It was that good that by about half way round, I was laughing with joy. The closest to perfection on a coaster I’ve ever experienced.

The only downside is that it’s now made so many other rides a bit of a disappointment. Even the much lauded Taron and Helix can’t hold a candle to how much I enjoyed Shambhala.

I haven't ridden Mako yet as I've not been back to Florida since it opened but that trim brake really really really angers me for some reason watching the POV's.

And to answer the question. A few weeks ago on SV I was unable to form logical sentences for 10 mins after my first ride. It blew my mind and then some. Was expecting big things but it far exceeded any expectations I had.

I haven't ridden Mako yet as I've not been back to Florida since it opened but that trim brake really really really angers me for some reason watching the POV's.
I don't remember feeling the trim on Mako at all; even if I did, it certainly didn't ruin the airtime or any aspect of the ride for me!

Steel Vengeance.

Some people think some coasters are intense.

Really. Ride SV.

It is absurd and is my #1 by some distance.

I have to say, I didn't know Mako was so highly rated. I look forward to riding. It does look like one of the better coasters in Orlando. But I am trying not to fall for overhype as the likes of Taron fell quite a long way short of what I expected.

:)