• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Does rural or urban living appeal to you more?

Does rural or urban living appeal to you more?

• Total voters

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. With there being a wide array of members on here, I'm sure we live in a number of places of all shapes and sizes. From big towns and cities to small villages, there is a wide spectrum of places to live. However, I'd say that the living style in most places would fall into one of two categories; rural living and urban living. Rural living entails living in more remote, quaint surroundings, often in areas of natural beauty or expansive countryside. Urban living, on the other hand, entails living in busier, more built up surroundings with more going on, and is more typically associated with large cities and towns. With this in mind, I'd be interested to know; does rural or urban living appeal to you more? Do you like the peace and tranquil surroundings of a rural environment, or do you prefer the convenience and hustle and bustle of an urban environment?

Personally, I'm actually undecided.

I have lived rurally for as long as I can remember. For my whole life, I have lived in the Forest of Dean, in Gloucestershire in the South West of England, and I have spent that whole time living in small rural villages with less than 1,000 residents. To be more specific, I grew up in one small village and moved to another one just down the road when I was 12, where I have lived ever since.

I'm often told how lucky I am to live in a rural area like the Forest, with the Wye Valley AONB and numerous forest walks and rural villages on my doorstep. I don't deny that I do live in rather picturesque surroundings; there are some very nice walking routes only a short drive away from where I live, and the forest can be very pretty! I also think that having a rural upbringing was beneficial to me in some ways; for instance, I feel I massively benefitted from attending a small village primary school and getting a more intimate degree of support within a smaller cohort of students.

However, I don't think living rurally is all sunshine and roses either, despite the often idyllic portrayal of rural living. The pitfalls of rural living have become more apparent to me with age.

One thing you absolutely do not get around here is convenience. In my village, the bus only comes once every 2-3 hours and only goes as far as the nearest small town in either direction (the length of the whole route is probably less than 10 miles), and while the train service is admittedly pretty decent, with a train heading towards Cheltenham in one direction and Cardiff in the other once every 1-2 hours and the odd train heading as far north as Nottingham thrown in there every few hours, you certainly aren't getting a smorgasbord of train services around here, either. If you want to get anywhere vaguely far away with any modicum of flexibility, driving is basically an essential life skill in a way that it isn't in an urban area. We also can't access many of the instant app-based luxuries that urban folk have access to; the likes of Deliveroo and Uber may as well be things from a sci-fi film here in the Forest of Dean!

Nonetheless, I'd be hesitant to say that urban living appeals to me more than rural living simply because I've never tried it. If I lived in an urban area, I may well have been yearning for a rural area like the Forest of Dean!

But I'd be interested to know; does rural or urban living appeal to you more? Do you appreciate the peace and quiet of rural living, or do you value the convenience and hustle and bustle of urban living more?

Rural. Easy. All day. 100%.

I don't like hustle and bustle or large amounts of people. Most of the things that I like are in rural areas. There are more annoying people, crime and bad driving in urban areas. I hate traffic.

I’m a city person but I like to live somewhere that has easy access to both a town centre and also more open spaces so the edge of town is ideal for me. I grew up in inner city London but moved away in my early 30s as I was tired of the stress and hustle and bustle. I moved to Newcastle and for me that’s the ideal kind of location, a good city centre, rail links, and an airport all there, but with the coast a short journey away, and a national park and rural areas within easy reach for when you want to get out in to more open spaces and see some natural landscapes.

Outskirts of a major town or city for me. I like to have the option to get to places without using a car with the option (something that’s not a thing where I currently live), but not in a location where it’s horrendously busy. The village I used to live near Southampton was a good compromise; equidistant between Winchester and Eastleigh, very quiet with just a pub and shop for amenities but with a reasonably well-served train station nearby in pretty easy reach of Waterloo, and express buses every 20 minutes between Winchester and Southampton.

Living in a rural area as I currently do is way more preferable to a major city though; even if it does mean I have to drive everywhere!

Last edited:
Like others in here i have the best of both worlds, the forest is a 2 minute walk from my door in one direction and the high street with a 30 minute train into London is 10 minutes in the other direction.

Of the two polled options, i think age and economics are the biggest factors. The older you get, the less interest you tend to have in the facilities of urban living and the more money you require to live somewhere urban that would suit your needs.

Although we are probably going to move in the next few years and obviously the biggest consideration now is distance to theme parks :tearsofjoy:

I've always been luck enough to live near the edge of a city and it's the best of both worlds.
Where I currently live is actually perfect. I'm at the far end of a cul-de-sac with a bus stop at the other. The buses run 24/7 and up to every 15 minutes at peak time. 30 minutes to get into town and I can be in London 30 minutes after that!
But on the other side of the house is a big park that boarders the motorway and a flood plane (making further development of it very unlikely). I can also jump in the car and be in the actual countryside in only a few minutes.
I guess you'd class it as urban, but it doesn't feel like I'm living in a city. I did live in Birmingham while studying, and based on that experience I don't think I'd be happy truly living in an urban environment. So I gave Rural my vote.

Grew up in a newtown, moved to the city centre and now live in what you'd probably call "inner city". An old girlfriend lived in a tiny village and sometimes when I'm out in the sticks I start thinking about whether it would be nice to live there. Then I think of the property prices, the lack of access to everything, the effort and planning required to do anything, being pretty much forced to use the car, etc, I quickly come back to my senses.

For all its reputation, Runcorn was a great bit of technically-suburbia to grow up in. A segregated road network just for buses, and segregated paths through and around the housing estates so you could walk to the shops, school, your mates' and so on without interacting with roads, and lots of little hills and bits of grass to play football on. These days new housing estates either don't have any of these little spaces, or if they do, they're car parks, or just a token flat square with a slide on that's completely overlooked.

Part of me would love being back there but I'm too much of a city boy now I think. My dream place to live would be somewhere like the Alexandra Road Estate or the Barbican, which imo is pretty much the pinacle of civilisation.

Another vote for the suburbs here. Bus is 2 minute walk away and gets us into Bristol in about 15 minutes. Train station 30 minute walk away which has regular trains to London which only take about 1hr 40 (and a whole host of other places), plus you can drive 15 minutes in the other direction and be in proper countryside complete with horses and alpaca sanctuaries. Go a bit further and you’ve got the likes of Dyrham Park or Tyntesfield. Works for me!

Another vote for the suburbs here. Bus is 2 minute walk away and gets us into Bristol in about 15 minutes. Train station 30 minute walk away which has regular trains to London which only take about 1hr 40 (and a whole host of other places), plus you can drive 15 minutes in the other direction and be in proper countryside complete with horses and alpaca sanctuaries. Go a bit further and you’ve got the likes of Dyrham Park or Tyntesfield. Works for me!

I've done both. Grew up in a 10 house village. Was boring as a kid. Grew up mobed to the city.
City living is so good when your young, early 20's. The nightlife, convenience, social scene are great.

Get to 35, and you'll want to slow down. We move to a rural town, effectively which has served us great for 4 or 5 years. Slower pace of life, more walks, even got a dog.

You've still got the convenience but it's just, nicer.

Considering moving back to my rural origins in the Cotswolds when the kids are gone. Then probably back to a town when we are codgers.

I lived in Cardiff for many years and loved it in my younger years. Great nightlife, sporting and music venues, plenty of shops and cinemas, lots of friends and everything you could want really on your doorstep.

I’ve lived in Devon for about 15 years now and find it now suits me better getting older. I live in a rural area - nearest McDonald’s is over 45 min drive, no Uber eats or other food deliveries to my area, have a beach half hour away and Dartmoor ten minutes away. The place is a small village with some cozy pubs where people say hello and remember your name and we have a crafts fair in the summer with live music into the evening.

So for me, I really loved both, I think urban really suited me growing up while rural now gives me the peace and quiet I like as I approach my mid life crisis 😂

Last year we moved our family from Salford to South Ribble and haven't looked back since
I agree with many on here when you get older you look for a quieter life and I don't miss the traffic, pollution, crime or the hollowed out shopping precinct where we used to live.

You do have to get used to takeaways not delivering to your house and everyone still accepting cash but other than that there is more of a community where we live now. I can't see us ever going back to City or Town living. When you're young it's great but life changed you're priorities.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I'm getting a Nailsea vibe from this. Which is an awesome place to live to be fair.

I chose urban but I'd like to have had another option - coastal.
I moved to the south coast from Watford and while I live in a small town, 15 miles from Canterbury city, the attraction for me is living by the coast. Winter or summer, it's perfect and I don't ever want to live inland again.