• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Driving in Germany

lizzieay

TS Member
Hi
We are planning our first trip next year and would like to see a bit more of Germany whilst we are away.
For that reason, we are looking at hiring a car but whilst I’ve driven my own car on the continent, I’ve never driven a hire car.
I’m really apprehensive about driving on the left side of the vehicle. (And changing gears with the other hand!!)
Can someone reassure me that-
1. It’s an easy drive from the airport (poss Baden Baden but we are still debating that one!)
2. I’ll get us to our destinations without too much terror!

I can’t wait for our trip and reading all these threads is just fuelling my excitement!

1. Drive from Baden or Basel is easy with a car.

2. After 5/10 minutes you'll literally not notice the difference to driving a right hand drive vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

As above, I've done this a couple of times and it was fine. Amazing how quickly you get used to it! I actually prefer driving a left hand vehicle on the roads over there than a right hand vehicle.

As above, I've done this a couple of times and it was fine. Amazing how quickly you get used to it! I actually prefer driving a left hand vehicle on the roads over there than a right hand vehicle.
Yes I'll be taking my own car to Germany in June and I'm a tad apprehensive about having a RH drive in a LH drive country!

Can't wait to take my car up to speed on Germany motorways though! Wheeeeee!

@lizzieay I've been warned about lowe emissions zones in certain German cities so you may want to check if you'll need a green sticker anywhere you're planning to go.

Most hire cars are automatic and I would go for an auto just to take one task out of the equation but driving is easy in Europe as the rules and signs are mostly the same as the uk (or similar).

Easy to do it, I first drove a LHD vehicle in Poland on the crazy back roads over there, Germany was a breeze in comparison. Easier than a RHD vehicle on the continent, but that is easy enough too.