• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

ERT Change

I was on park yesterday morning and experienced the new ERT system, here is a basic run down:

- Gates open at 9am as normal
- Guests with ERT now enter the theme park in between battle galleons and the main lake, you can then turn left to head towards the rides on ERT, or head right and start to queue for the Smiler (or any other ride if you wish!).
- There are fences across the path next to Sonic Spinball and in front of Mutiny Bay. Normal guests can start to queue up here if they wish.
- 10am the fences are removed and all guests can enter the park, all rides open.

Here is a photo of the sign next to the ERT entrance:
1170858_519170898153359_2053489923_n.jpg

I think the reason they have done this is because when they used to stop you at the bottom of Towers Street there was often issues of overcrowding and ERT guests not being able to get to the bottom of Towers Street. This new system means normal guests can wait on the main paths near sonic and mutiny bay, and then ERT guests can enter through the fairly small path (again this is a path you wouldn't normally use when heading towards rides).

It does now mean ERT is back to truely being exclusive for the people who should have it, and it means you don't have to faff around showing tickets/passes each time you go on a ride. It also means you can get in the front of the Smiler queue or any other queue before all the other guests get there.

The only issues at the moment is the lack of signs or staff on Towers Street telling you this. So many guests run towards the Smiler only to find the path blocked, if they have ERT they then have to walk across in front of the lake to get to the ERT entrance. having a sign or something on Towers Street might be better.

Seems they've taken notice of our earlier complaints then. If only they could take notice of some of the others! :p

I experienced this on Friday. It worked really well, and as others have said, it looks like Alton Towers may have taken notice of some of the comments made on various social media.

As I've been on the Smiler before, I found that going to FV first at 9AM and taking a few rides on Nemesis, before heading over to Dark forest by 9.55AM for a few rides on Rita and thirteen with little to no queues worked really well. Then I left The Smiler for a few hours and did other rides in the park until the initial large queues (for The Smiler) had died down a bit from the ones that had built up between 10-11AM. This way you can get on loads of rides in a full day.

Obviously, if I hadn't already been on the Smiler I'd probably head over there using ERT to queue up before the non-ERT guests got in to X-Sector pretty much first thing.

Good move by Towers.

First time on park yesterday following the ERT changes and it was quite good.

Used Woodland Walk to enter, so we were near Nemesis bang on 9am. Got 2 rides on Nemesis then worked back to the front of the park taking in a ride each on Blade, Duel and Mine Train. Got to Mutiny Bay by 9.45am.

We then strolled over to the Smiler to get in the single rider queue before the non ERT riders were allowed on the park (I'd estimate that the regular queue was say 1 hour to 90 minutes at this point due to ERT's sacrificing their Ride time). On the Smiler by 10.15am. Then off it to take in the rest of the rides at leisure.

It does seem to be working well thus far. My only worry is whether complaints from people who haven't booked online concerning facing a 90 minute Smiler queue before they can queue will lead to Alton Towers changing it (again).

Enk27 said:
First time on park yesterday following the ERT changes and it was quite good.

Used Woodland Walk to enter, so we were near Nemesis bang on 9am. Got 2 rides on Nemesis then worked back to the front of the park taking in a ride each on Blade, Duel and Mine Train. Got to Mutiny Bay by 9.45am.

We then strolled over to the Smiler to get in the single rider queue before the non ERT riders were allowed on the park (I'd estimate that the regular queue was say 1 hour to 90 minutes at this point due to ERT's sacrificing their Ride time). On the Smiler by 10.15am. Then off it to take in the rest of the rides at leisure.

It does seem to be working well thus far. My only worry is whether complaints from people who haven't booked online concerning facing a 90 minute Smiler queue before they can queue will lead to Alton Towers changing it (again).

Hello & Welcome!

That does seem to be the best way to get the most out of ERT for sure, but with regards to the complaints AT will get, I think they have been, for a while, trying to encourage guests to book online. Mainly as they can predict how busy the park will be and manage staffing levels accordingly. Unfortunately the response to 'complainers' will simply be, "if you book online, you can access the park 1 hour before the rest of the guests and enjoy the benefits of ERT" blah blah blah.

At the end of the day, the park is advertised at opening at 10am - non ERT guests have no right to complain. It is a perk you receive for booking online, staying in the hotel, or having an AP.

To be honest, they'll be facing a shorter queue than before for The Smiler as it will be made up purely of ERT guests. Whereas earlier in the season, the world and his dog filled the queue before the ride opened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

It's ironic that some people here complain about fast track creating two tiers of guests and yet they rejoice when they manage to get the plebs kept out of 'their' ERT sessions.

Why should annual pass holders be allowed in the park early anyway? They get as many visits as they want to get on all the rides. Most guests will only visit once a year. The fact that pass holders can also use this time to get to the front of ride queues before anyone else is frankly a bit insulting.

Well done enthusiast community, you've actively shortened many guests' day at the park just so you can beat regular guests to the rides that you've been on hundreds of times anyway.

CGM said:
Well done enthusiast community, you've actively shortened many guests' day at the park just so you can beat regular guests to the rides that you've been on hundreds of times anyway.

Because the enthusiast community make a dramatic impact on Alton Towers decisions.....

I can guarantee its hotels guests that dictate the ERT offering, as they make up the majority of ERT users per day, pass holders are just in for the ride so to speak.

CGM said:
It's ironic that some people here complain about fast track creating two tiers of guests and yet they rejoice when they manage to get the plebs kept out of 'their' ERT sessions.

Why should annual pass holders be allowed in the park early anyway? They get as many visits as they want to get on all the rides. Most guests will only visit once a year. The fact that pass holders can also use this time to get to the front of ride queues before anyone else is frankly a bit insulting.

But it's not just annual pass holders. It is also hotel guests and people with tickets that were booked online. The advertised opening time of the park is 10am. No ones day is being shortened. ERT is merely a perk, and perks make guests feel valued which is important if Towers want them to return/renew. Disneyland Paris give 2 'Magic Hours' to hotel guests for certain attractions in Disneyland Park. Cedar Point do ERT. It is quite common and there's nothing wrong with it. If it wasn't there then the park would just open at 10am for everyone. No one is being harmed by ERT. And anyone can get if they want, just book tickets online.

:)

I don't think it was the hotel guests who complained about normal guests getting in though, it was the enthusiasts.

It's true that guests who book online can also get ERT but this eliminates people using the 2-for-one offer and people who are hit with the full £45 and are actually paying the highest premium per visit of anyone.

It's just typical that people here complain so venomously about matters such as fast track but when something equally unfair is implemented but it suits them quite nicely, they're happy to toe the party line and regurgitate Alton media babble.

CGM said:
I don't think it was the hotel guests who complained about normal guests getting in though, it was the enthusiasts.

It's true that guests who book online can also get ERT but this eliminates people using the 2-for-one offer and people who are hit with the full £45 and are actually paying the highest premium per visit of anyone.

It's just typical that people here complain so venomously about matters such as fast track but when something equally unfair is implemented but it suits them quite nicely, they're happy to toe the party line and regurgitate Alton media babble.

Apart from tickets online are £28. Saving 40%.

Also, not everyone with a pass is an enthusiast.

Lastly, if you had of read the discussion about fastrack, I don't think anyone ( barring one or two ) were complaining about it ( it's very valuable income for the park ), just the way it is implemented.

CGM, I think you'll find that a lot of 'normal' guests with ERT were complaining that it wasn't exclusive any more. Yes it was obviously mentioned a lot by enthusiasts but I think it was the general on park feedback that swayed this choice.

They advertise it as a perk for certain guests and then didn't make it exclusive at all. This at least brings it all back into line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

There is not going to be any evidence to support either side here.

ERT is a perk for AP holders, Hotel Guests, and People who book online (Which helps the park plan how busy it is going to be). I don't see how it is unfair to reward people for their loyalty.

I also think ERT helps the technical staff get the rides ready in a staggered manner to help reduce waste from staff and rides been ready to go, but not having anyone to ride, or not allowing people to ride until a set time.

Ian

If anything, from an operational point of view it's probably easier for Alton to manage ERT under the new system. The idea of letting all guests into the park was a good idea in that it spread the crowds around the park, but actually controling who used attractions was another matter. It wasn't uncommon to see where rides were just letting anyone ride at this time. By reverting back to the old style now all guests are checked just once, before being let into the park. It makes the process easier for everyone, including park management, who will no doubt have acted in their interests as well as that of the guests.

No one looses out by the park offering Early Ride Time. The park opens at 10am, as stated on their website and social media when asked. This is when most normal guests arrive at. If anything, by opening some larger attractions earlier it probably benefits day visitors, as when they go to Nemesis at 10am a percentage of guests will have already ridden it, reducing the queue at that point. I visit various parks with non-enthusiasts, and a lot of these people aren't really interested in re-riding. The ERT system is similar to how Fastrack should be implemented (Though not at Merlin parks it seems); it's there to help manage queues.

Alton Towers has, for a long time now, tried to encourage guests to book tickets online. This, along with hotel tickets allows the park management to more accurately predict the number of guests visiting, and brief staff and prepare ride's accordingly. It could be argued that by offering ERT to these guests they are being rewarded for helping the park.

Even before being a passholder, I never had any issues for ERT being offered, and I rarely use the whole hour even now, thanks to the parks location making it a journey for most guests to get to for 9am. On the few occasions I have made it at 9 there have been next to no on the day vistors waiting to enter, and the crowds only being to build up from about 9:45 on.

Of course, if the park was to abolish ERT, and open at 9 to all guests I would have no issues really. It would be no skin off anyone with Early Ride Time's noses, but I doubt the number of guests would be much different.

To add, those who aren't able to use ERT are restricted only really to those who buy at the gate (of which almost the entirity use BOGOF, so cheaper than paying online) or sun free tickets.

So they've paid less than the majority available to use ERT. Therefore they shouldn't be entitled to ERT. You pay for the exclusivity that really doesn't affect anyone (as the park would open at 10am if it didn't exist, ala every park in the UK).