• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Europa-Park on a shoestring budget? It can be done!

That's why we went when we did. 48hr return. Used the 25 for the trip so probably same category as a Corsa.

1686518134871.png

That's why we went when we did. 48hr return. Used the 25 for the trip so probably same category as a Corsa.

1686518134871.png
Not denying you didn't get it for that, just that those sorts of prices have completely disappeared from Le Shuttle recently. Regardless of that mind, with a 6.5 hours minimum drive each way - I wouldn't recommend a 48 hour trip to Europa-Park for anyone 😂.

I am stupid.

But even I am not that stupid. I don't think. I hope not anyway. In all honesty I'd probably stick to flying to EP.

Last edited:

1686518134871.png
If you dont turn up for the return journey, what are they going to do?

If you booked a day trip for 25th/26th May, could you travel out on 18th May, and then return on 26th May?

And the trips on 19th and 25th just go unused.

Does the return journey become invalid if you do not turn up for the outward journey?

If you dont turn up for the return journey, what are they going to do?

It was a bit of a bodge to book two day trips (one from uk and another from France) to take advantage of this in the past, as they were REALLY cheap (£9 each way) at one point thanks to getting subsidised.

However, like the ferry day trips they said they’d charge you the full standard crossing if you didn’t show up for the return. Don’t know anyone personally who got charged, but those who used to do it used two different cards just in case. Not worth the risk considering they have all your API details and you car reg!

Personally wouldn’t give those shysters a penny after what they did to their staff last year.
Yeah that did cross my mind. It seems my morals go out the window when a new Intamin coaster opens.

Ferries are a complete faff anyway compared to Le Shuttle. The checking in, boarding and journey all adds up and really drags.

It's a shame the camping has become quite expensive now for a family of four. We are staying two nights in a FEWO mid October, costing £180.

Tunnel out is £115 (booked it quite early though) and returning on Irish Ferries which is £70.
Overnighting in a B&B Hotel, £74 on the way, £78 on the way back.

It's around 850 miles Calais-Europa-Calais, we usually avoid tolls and fill up in Luxembourg. In summer it was 1.6 euro per litre of diesel, France was more than the UK at the time.
There's a couple of tolls maybe worth paying depending on which way you go. The tunnel Maurice Lemaire is 6.30 euro, between Selestat and Nancy, and knocks 30 mins off the 'toll free' journey.
Via Strasbourg A4 to Metz is 14.60 euro and is another 30 mins quicker.
Via Karlsruhe is free and an easy drive but uses more fuel, in my case about 10 euros, so it's cheaper to pay the toll as it's not as quick as using the A4.

I find the €100 (£85) return toll charge for the A26/A4 from Calais to Strasbourg a price worth paying. Those motorways are an absolute breeze from start to finish. Other routes can work out less, but they are more convaluted and busy.