• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Favorite ride Branding

Which ride at the park or was there has your favourite branding

• Total voters

Trooper Looper

TS Member
It's always been interesting how much the rides at Alton Towers theme and brand at Alton give a impression on us Guests, so I decided to make a thread, regarding which ride has the best branding here, and why! Let me know in the posts below! Can't wait for your responses.

If I could vote for two, I'd say both Smiler and Oblivion - though I'll have to say the former as I was too young to get into the hype around Blivy then though I really all knew too well about Smiler's build up in the day. For all the faults you can say about the ride, the branding of it is one of the best the park has ever done with the smiling face graphic being pretty much instantly recognisable by many. You'd be surprised of how many I've seen in the street that has either a Smiler hoodie, shirt or bag with Smiler on it so in terms of branding there, Smiler is a success for the park.

However, most recently I've started to see Wicker Man get some attention with branding, but we'll have to wait and see if it'll match others before it.

I think Oblivion nailed everything branding/marketing wise. The name, theme, advert and build up campaign in 1997 were all perfect, I remember being a kid and seeing the actor roaming the area and the massive fences surrounding it, it definitely felt like a real product of the time and something I doubt we'll see done so well again. The lack of social media played a big part in that too I think.

On that note, I found this a while ago from 1998, really nice piece of marketing!

Attachments

• 17858839_10158549112450252_1136093211_o.jpg
    17858839_10158549112450252_1136093211_o.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 30
  • 17886949_10158549112470252_1475991726_o.jpg
    17886949_10158549112470252_1475991726_o.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 17887259_10158549112460252_2050741711_o.jpg
    17887259_10158549112460252_2050741711_o.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
As weird as it might sound, Air was always my favourite from a branding perspective. I started going to Alton Towers in Summer 2003, so Air was still the big attraction. And the branding of it with the adverts and music, "assume the position, you can fly" created a lot of mystique for me. Queueing for the monorail and watching the videos showing everything there was to do, it was really a magical time.
Later that year visiting in October half-term with scarefest and waiting to go into the park while "Monster mash" played in between In the Hall of the Mountain King. It was all an atmosphere that hasn't been captured since it was "Tussauds Alton Towers"
Pure nostalgia.

Oblivion. I think they absolutely nailed it with the logo that is reminiscent of an arrow pointing straight down like an industrial symbol. You’d think that the drum & bass soundtrack might have dated but it still sounds good even though it has a retro PS1 era Wipeout kind of vibe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I always loved the AIR branding. . I think most likely due to the colourways used for it. .

But Altons best branding by far will always be Oblivion, I can remember it plain as day when the ride launched, I was only 8/9 at the time and never even been to Alton then, but everyone knew about it. . It seemed to be everywhere. They marketed the hell out of it.

The colours,music and theme were all 100% spot on for the time it came about, everything has such a late 90s vibe.

I don’t really have a favourite ride brand but I guess Nemesis and The Smiler are up there. I’ve always thought Duel's freestanding logo which tilts to one side is cool. And Hex’s is good, especially with flags out the front with a picture of the building on them that Hex is actually in.

I’ll admit to being a little besotted with The Smiler theme within its opening year. I even edited it to make part of it a ringtone on my phone. It it once rang in a shop and as I pulled it out of my pocket a couple of people looked towards me before moving away. I soon realised I had to get rid of it. 😂😂

Resurrections could still happen… 😉

Air for me. Nostalgia may play a part, I was a teenager in the early 00's, but I think the "assume the position" teaser campaign was brilliantly done. The final adverts still look good now, albeit with slightly dodgy CGI. The logo, the colour palette, the SFX, all fantastic.
I tire of the endless stream of rollercoasters being sold on fear and intensity, and I get it, it appeals to their target audience, but with Air they dared to try something different. A rollercoaster for me is an instrument of joy, it is a freeing experience and the branding of Air captured that perfectly. It's a shame the rides theme never lived up to that, but the branding is spot on.