• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fawlty Towers reboot in the works

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. I was reading the news earlier today when I found a very interesting, and surprising, headline… John Cleese has confirmed that Fawlty Towers is being revived: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/feb/07/fawlty-towers-john-cleese-reboot

Cleese and his daughter, Camilla, are spearheading the new version together, and it will be about Basil Fawlty running a boutique hotel with his long lost daughter (played by Camilla) while simultaneously trying to “navigate the modern world”.

As expected, Cleese is reprising his role as Basil Fawlty, but from what I’ve read, he is seemingly the only member of the original cast who is returning for this new version. None of the other original cast members seem to be involved; Andrew Sachs (Manuel) is dead, Prunella Scales (Sybil) has retired from acting, and Connie Booth (Polly) doesn’t seem to be involved, either.

I must admit that I certainly wasn’t expecting to see that headline… what do you guys think of this?

I’m a little unsure, myself. I admit that it could be very good, and I’m sure that John Cleese will try his hardest to make this new version funny, but in my view, Fawlty Towers is very much a product of its time rather than something I can imagine working today. Don’t get me wrong, bits of it are very funny, but there are other bits of it you watch and think “there’s no way that would fly today”, and in general, comedy (and TV in general) has changed so much in the nearly 50 years since Fawlty Towers first aired.

What do you guys think? Are you looking forward to this, or are you not so keen on the idea?

The fact Rob Reiner is involved is the only thing that makes me interested in it.

Still amusing that the most famous line from the show "don't mention the war" is all some sections of society and the press can go on about nowadays.

Won't be able to parrot the whole "You can't make shows like that anymore" line.

It'll be no doubt filled to the brim with "anti-woke" jokes. Or not be as edgy as the original (read - racist and using now offensive tropes) so people will state its been "wokified".

First run of Fawlty Towers is an all-time classic. Absolutely zero reason to do this, even with Cleese's notoriously stifling divorce alimony. His endless whinging in the press about not being able to get on TV because of political correctness (often on TV...) is deeply boring, and it's difficult to imagine it not being a key feature of the show. Further confirms Palin as the greatest living Python.

Also, I read earlier that this will be set in the Caribbean, but I struggle to believe that Basil would ever leave England!

Really, what is the point in this?

I love John Cleese (the most famous thing to come out of Weston-super-Mare other than a burnt down pier and drug rehabilitation centres) and Monty Python. But it's 2023 and people's sense of humour has changed, both for the better and worse in my opinion. As a fan of the original, I'll watch it as I'm intrigued. But I don't hold out much hope it'll be funny.

Really, what is the point in this?
homer simpson money GIF

Is John getting divorced again? That's the only reason the god awful Monty Python live shows took place a few years back.