• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

February Half Term 2014

I don't know about others, but half term is this week in South Yorkshire, so there was a lot of potential visitors unable to attend last week.

Ian

Bring Back Adrenaline week, Nemesis, Oblivion, Air, The Smiler :twirly: Maybe even Sonic. Won't happen mind you, Moshi Monsters seems to work for them :(

The problem with adrenaline week is that it didn't bring enough to the resort, not like the kids & Moshi Monsters.

Half Term here in Wales too this week. May have been dead last week due to half the country still being in school?

I can see a winter evening coming in 2015/2016 when phase two of CBeebies Land is complete. They will probably have the area open for winter weekend in 2014/2015 though!

South Yorkshire (and it appears North too) are also on half term this week.
Id probably have taken the kids down.

Entertainingly Alton seem oblivious to this fact, they paid for vouchers and a lot of advertising in local papers too. Marketing Fail.

It's such a ballache that for the last few years half terms up and down the country have been so out of sync. Remember this issue last year.

You'd have thought marketing would have checked before advertising in local areas though.
Or they could look at opening both weeks.

Here's me thinking that it's FHT everywhere in the country, and I just thought it was the first couple of summer weeks and OHT that were outta sync. :/

Generally it's a good thing letting schools have more freedom, as it means greedy holiday makers have less people fighting over certain weeks and ripping people off. However, in this case it is fairly damaging to the park I guess.

Feb Half Term is surely meant to be more regional anyway?

I'd hate to see people driving over 2 hours for such a below par experience.

Different local authorities have often had slightly different term dates, but the governments autonomy agenda could mean holidays all over the place sooner or later which would be damaging to industry like leisure.

AstroDan said:
damaging to industry like leisure.

Or stopping the leisure industry from hiking prices for one week as they know everyone is off that week? Yes, I guess there is nothing stopping them hiking prices for two/three weeks.

I know its not helpful to staff, but just opening as weekends during Feb would probably be more profitable for Towers than the full week.

Ian

The only thing which'd happen from holidays being spread out is less dirt cheap deals as demand spreads out and the quieter days are less (and therefore easier to fill without being right at the lowest end).

It may make the peak times cheaper, but anyone loving the right lower end will lose out also.

AGREED!

Why hike the prices up for half term when you can hike them up for the whole year.

My kids are on half term this week but theres no way i'd even consider a visit for that line up. Paultons park seem to be offering a full line up.

The school holidays seem to be all over the place. We had half term last week, but our Easter holidays are different meaning I can't go on Junket, and the summer holidays are slightly different too.

As far as FHT at Towers goes, I hate to say it, but I enjoyed BPB more. There was nowhere near enough open at AT, whereas we struggled to get everything done at BPB in a day. I normally don't really like the Pleasure Beach, but enjoyed it more than AT in February!

Im quite sure that for the past few years we've had different half terms to some places. Seems to depend on the local authority.

Its just over an hour to Towers for us and with the Moshi Monster stuff I really would have visited with the kids.

Im still amused at Towers paying for advertising though in an area its not applicable to. You'd have thought they would check stuff like this. Also imagine if people turn up because they saw the advertising - oooopsie.

Having bought my MAP this year, and using it at AT FHT for the first time (and also knowing that I'm only ever likely to use it at Towers), came away feeling quite down and that I'll never spend that much time there in a day. I also felt like I've wasted quite a bit of money. :/

Has anyone else felt like it?

I doubt how you can feel like you've wasted your money before the season has even truly begun? By that I mean that whenever else you visit this year the ride lineup will be fully operational.

If you are only planning on visiting Alton all year, surely an AT Annual Pass would have been a better buy?

Anyway you get out of a MAP what you put in. If you visit lots then they are good value, if not well then, they could be a waste of cash.

Scott said:
I doubt how you can feel like you've wasted your money before the season has even truly begun? By that I mean that whenever else you visit this year the ride lineup will be fully operational.

If you are only planning on visiting Alton all year, surely an AT Annual Pass would have been a better buy?

Anyway you get out of a MAP what you put in. If you visit lots then they are good value, if not well then, they could be a waste of cash.

As I've said before, I bought the Premium MAP because I then have the opportunity to go to Thorpe etc if I want to. In the Jan sale, it was only £5 more than I would've had to pay for an AT annual pass, and you get the extra perks with the Merlin one. That's why I bought it! But this year is a bit of a trial run for me, and I agree, main season will be a lot better, and I'm looking forward to seeing CBEEBEES land!

I don't think it's really worth starting a topic for it yet so thought I'd mention it in here. The Towers map confirms the Feb Half Term will be returning in 2015.

:)

Unless they include oblivion and/or the smiler on the line up, I will not be visiting Fht opening again. Especially in the hotels.