• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

First visit to Phantasialand 31/5

BooMT

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Sucker for a B&M!
Here I am, back with another unnecessarily long trip report nobody asked for but... this is one I've been waiting for quite literally years to write! Having sat at the top of my 'Theme Park Bucket List' for a considerable amount of time, Hubby decided enough was enough and booked us a trip to Phantasialand to celebrate my birthday (he is the total opposite of enthusiast, so this was an act of selflessness in the highest form 😂).

20240531_182606.jpg

We arrived on Friday late afternoon (31st May) for a 2 night stay at Hotel Ling Bao; having stayed in a variety of themed accommodations, including Disney, this became an immediate favourite based on first impressions. It's a beautifully detailed building, there's so much to take in! Authentic Chinese tiles, hand-carved woodwork doors, sumptuous Eastern inspired textiles and many curiosities, just a couple of the subtleties that assist you in suspending your disbelief. Like a magpie, I was completely enamoured by the Cherry Blossom/Panda sculpture with it's sparkling crystal stars in the foyer and often pondered how I could fit it in my luggage to bring it home 😂 Once checked in, we realised we had made the fatal error of forgetting to pack ANY adapter plugs... I do not recommend this level of stupidity! 🤣 The hotel had none available, no phone charging points and nowhere on site to purchase what we had forgotten; completely our mistake however, in the past, we have found hotels (both domestic/foreign) are usually pretty good at having at least something in case of emergencies. The only issues regarding the room was that the TV had a handful of working channels, all of which had poor signal aside from Phantasialands own & the room was uncomfortably hot. Air con wasn't helpful but having the window wide made a marginal difference...First World problems and all that 😂 Lovely room, very, very clean, fresh & well-presented.

20240531_193932.jpg

Our stay included buffet breakfast at the Bamboo Restaurant, we also opted to book the dinner buffet for both evenings, at an additional cost €39 per person per night, minus drinks. The casual fine dining option, Lu Chi, is currently unavailable - we would have likely booked this for one of the evenings had it been open. Whilst online reviews are pretty mixed for Bamboo, we had a great experience throughout; the selection of food was extensive during both breakfast & dinner sittings, everything looked and tasted fresh & flavoursome, plus, as a gluten-free Pescetarian (I know 🙄) I had no issues filling my plate with delicious, colourful foods. (Hubby watched in despair as I enjoyed Pho for breakfast 😂). The price includes the option of freshly cooked Meats/Prawns/Stir fry at the teppenyaki counter in the evening and omelettes in the morning - it's fun to watch even if you're not ordering! Before dinner on both nights we went down to the Li River Bar to enjoy some relaxed drinks next to the indoor river. As a general rule, I don't drink alcohol, however, I did have the Lychee Blossom Cocktail, which was delicious, to be social with my beer-drinking hubby, followed by Little Dragon mocktails. Despite the hotel being at capacity, the common areas were never crowded which was a very welcome surprise! Anyway... on to the attractions...

20240601_090610-01.jpeg

Ling Bao has its own entrance into the park via Chinatown, super convenient for getting to nearby Klugheim when the gate opens at 9am! The weather was looking awful for the weekend and it was a 'red capacity' day so we decided we'd head straight for Taron at 9am, wait the hour outside of the cattle pens and hopefully get straight on so at least I could tick off my most anticipated coaster in the event we faced closures/long queues. We were near the very beginning of the queue when the ride opened at 10am where we were led by a Staff member on a 1000mile trek through the entire extended queueline to reach the station (does this hold the record for the World's longest queue line or???) The expedition was swiftly forgotten when we were given the back row for our first ride (thank you coaster Gods!) I'm completely aware you may think I'm the most basic of basic for saying this BUT... that was the single best ride experience I have had in my entire 33 years of life & my hubby, who couldn't care less about coasters, stepped off the train afterwards as a full-blown Thoosie convert 🤣 It was everything I wanted it to be and then some! The excellent pops of ejector airtime, that unforgiving second launch, the whippy twists and turns... the theming. I'm only in my early 100's as far as creds go but Taron is, without question, my new number one coaster.

We went on to purchase multiple Quick Pass Plus over the weekend (€20 for 2x quick access to a selection of rides) which helped us to total 6 rides on Taron, 4x Back Row, 2x Front Row. Hubby prefers front, especially for 2nd launch, back row just about beats it for me. Later on the Saturday, Taron went down for about 60-90 minutes... not only did they bring on a fourth train to clear the queue, they drafted management over to assist the ride staff in literally flying trains out; We were on front row of the first train back on - it was absolutely hauling around that track! For most of the weekend Taron was operating 4 trains and despite the park being busy, it was averaging about 30mins in the main queue.

VideoCapture_20240604-151144.jpg

Following on from our first Phantasialand ride experience, we took a walk to Berlin, stopping off to watch Talocan from the viewing area. It's even more impressive in reality, what a show-stopping way to present a Top Spin! We found ourselves addicted to watching a spectrum of rider reactions over the duration of the weekend but didn't ride ourselves; I've enjoyed them greatly in the past but unfortunately, I really don't think I could handle the psychopathic tumbling-whilst-spinning sensation of a TS anymore 😂 Both Chiapas (which was down for most of our visit) & Talocan are fantastic spectator rides, a great add to the park atmosphere!

Once in Berlin, we took in the charming, traditional scenery, the smell of Bratwurst & treated water ripe in the air 😂 Both Wellenflug & Pferdekarussell are extremely pretty and provide a comforting nostagia in their experience. Berlin was probably the busiest area of the park over the weekend, yet it always felt calm, in fact, the whole trip was really chilled, just lots of walking and lots of steps! We popped into the Berlin Guest Services on the way to Maus au Chocolat to collect Quick Passes and found we could leave our phones to be charged for free! Yay! Really saved our skin in terms of contacting the kids and having access to bookings etc but I only managed a few photos/videos. With our hotel stay, we received a few of the standard Quick Passes which gave us walk-on access to MAC. We both thought it was a delightfully sweet shooter ride, definitely something the kids would have fun with! Someone has far too much time on their hands though, here's us thinking we did well with scores above 150,000 only to be viciously humbled by the top score being nearly 800,000 🤣🤯

VideoCapture_20240604-151041-01.jpeg

Next stop was Fantasy, we casually explored the entire area through the weekend - to summarise our brief thoughts: Avoras is beautiful, a real spectacle for young children, all the kiddie rides are super cute, Wuze Town feels a little dated (we didn't go on Winjas - Dragons Fury a few months back solidified that Maurer Spinners and I are no longer friends after a long, fruitful relationship 😂), Crazy Bats was novel, the VR worked well with the ride experience but the headsets were clunky and heavy... it was a one and done for us! Wözels Wassertreter was unavailable - not sure if this is a permanent thing? I've read that they have issues with locals and noise complaints particularly from this attraction. It's such a large space! Overall, we felt this was the least cohesive area of the park but still very quirky & a lovely space for the little ones!

VideoCapture_20240604-152043-01.jpeg

Rookburgh. Wow. Truly phenomenal theming work that goes without saying; probably the most high quality, complete themed area I've experienced. If this is a taster at what's to come in future investments, it's very exciting! F.L.Y was the ride we queued the longest for; although we only waited for about 35/40mins to board which wasn't too bad overall. I did find this queueline particularly challenging with all the steps and the absence of Quick Pass but again, grateful that we waited a whole lot less than some. The station is well thought through, a great pre-boarding system & nice little details throughout.

I was totally unaware of the unique hardware and the pre-launch section, both really cool! The indoor section was a nice touch & positively added to the experience. However, I was underwhelmed by the ride experience overall. There is absolutely nothing to fault with how brilliantly the layout has been planned especially the interaction between theming and coaster, truly top tier. But, the launch didn't feel very forceful imho, there were quite a few dead spots for me and I found the harnesses quite uncomfortable once we had rotated into position. I went into it expecting it to be something I wanted to ride again and again due to the fact it sits high on many peoples Top Coaster lists but came away feeling no desire to reride. It is a good coaster, I just don't think it's anything special, to me. Hubby didn't like it at all. We were around row 4 but I can't remember exactly. Maybe front row would have been better.

Quick summary for anyone avoiding spoilers: we thought it was overrated. Sorry :(

VideoCapture_20240604-152018-01.jpeg

More positively, Africa is tonnes of fun! Is it as polished as Rookburgh? No. But the atmosphere is lively with upbeat, vibrant music, interesting little themed nooks & viewpoints for Black Mamba scattered around, the smell of delicious food as well as the new immersive 'Deep in Africa' adventure trail which we obviously enjoyed as big kids, although, some sections were taped off. We used a quick pass to get straight on Black Mamba, where we were placed front row; in all my years of riding Nemesis, I'm yet to get a front row ride so was really happy about it! Loved the station - brilliantly themed, with an engaging dispatch sequence, it felt a little claustrophobic too... in a good way... definitely adds to the overall experience! Perhaps controversially, we would both place Black Mamba above Nemesis for ride experience. It feels faster (although I believe it technically has a lower top speed - could all the near misses give the illusion of greater speed?) & the forces felt stronger, it's genuinely the closest I've been to a grey out yet! We also rode back row but agreed this is definitely a front row ride for us! Excellent coaster!

20240601_134533-01.jpeg

Another great coaster: Colorado Adventure! I have never laughed so much on a coaster 😂 We boarded back row with low expectations only to experience the most hilariously unhinged surprise of the entire trip! Plenty of ejector airtime, being forcefully dragged down every drop, enough speed and a layout that keeps you interested. When we came off our first ride, we looked at each other and mouthed 'What the ****' 😂 So completely unexpected...definitely one of the highlights! We managed this 3x across the weekend, all back row. I can't wait to bring my eldest, tell him it's a chill kiddie coaster and enjoy his reaction!

Other attractions we managed were:

River Quest - really enjoyable, would have done it more than once if we'd had more time! A few surprise elements - I try not to ruin things for myself but had seen one spoiler before going!
Feng Ju Palace - What is even happening?! What is the story? Confusion from beginning to end! Always entertaining to see the reactions of people who have no idea what the ride does but Hex still remains unbeaten as my favourite Mad House... closely followed by HHMP for the soundtrack 😂
Geister Rikscha - Some of you may know from my other posts I'm a huge scaredy cat and don't do Ghost trains... I think this was the cure 😂 Much like Feng Ju, I have no idea what was going on but... it felt vintage and so bad it was good 🤣

Whilst I really enjoy drop-rides, after prepping with some POVs I ruled out mystery castle due to it looking like a sensory nightmare with flashing, air cannons and possibly live actors in the queue. Big shame as the ride itself appeals! Maybe one day! Chiapas as mentioned, was closed for most of the visit and when it reopened, we were nearing the time we had to leave for the airport. Had fun watching it though.

Across the weekend we ate at Lillis Cafe, Tortchen & Co, La Cantina Tacana & Cocorico, as well as picking up some crepes and dark chocolate strawberries in China Town. The F&B offering is exceptional across the parks and hotels, really impressed with the choice, quality and pricing! Our favourite was Cocorico, (thanks Rob for the recommendation), what a lovely spot to sit and watch the world go by with some delicious tapas.

As for merch, we bought some of the plain black Phantasialand caps which are pretty nice, I reluctantly got a less-than-mediocre Taron shirt because I live in coaster tops & also picked couple of small China Town themed gifts for the boys. Please, someone send the merch team some help! Overall, their range is poor, the designs are poor (blue and white 'exclusive style' polo top I am absolutely looking at you) to put it bluntly... I was really disappointed. It's definitely one of their weak areas. Bad.

Everything considered, this was our favourite park trip so far, it was such a pleasure to finally visit! There's so much more I could have written but I started to get conscious about the length of this about 17 hours into writing it 😂 So if you made it here - thanks for sticking with! Can't wait to return as soon as possible 😊

VideoCapture_20240604-151138-01.jpeg

TL/DR (Plus some extra thoughts because I can't help myself):

- We went to Phantasialand and had such a good time it's now my entire personality.
- Everything is good. The food, the rides, the staff, the chilled atmosphere, the theming etc etc.
- Taron is now my #1 coaster
- F.L.Y is overrated in my opinion
- Black Mamba is better than Nemesis
- Colorado Adventure is a sleeper hit
- Why are there so many steps?!
- China Town Attractions are so bad... they're good.
- Send help for the merch team
- There's something a bit mysterious about the place... who is behind Phantasialand? Why is everything online so corporate? Why are there always various dragons waiting for photos but noone ever taking photos with them? Why was a female staff member trying to take a photo of me?
- Ops were excellent
- Don't forget your adapter plugs guys!

Last edited:
Oooo good to hear they have gluten free food, I havent been in 10 years but really want to go back! The new coasters sounds amazing (by 'new' i mean anything that wasn't there in 2013 haha). Lovely pictures by the way!

Can completely relate to that first Taron ride elation! Blew me away and reignited my inner coaster nerd back in 2017.

And yeah the merch is awful at Phantasialand and always has been. It's a funny old place.

I'm glad Taron lived up to the hype for you :cool:

Sounds like you got Phantasialand in one, glad you enjoyed your visit and the tapas at Cocorico! A shame that you didn't manage a ride on Chiapas, as it's great fun, but it seems to be having a tonne of issues at the moment. And yeah, I first went in 2012 and the merch has always been some of the worst of any theme park!

Sounds like you had a great trip! Taron shot straight to my number 1 spot upon my first visit to the park in June 2022, it was the first Intamin LSM I'd experienced and those launches are just something else. My only gripe with it at the time was that it was lacking in inversions which I think would have made it top-tier. I've since replaced it at the top with Toutatis at Parc Asterix and then Batman Gotham City Escape at Parque Warner - if you're a fan of Intamin LSMs I would highly recommend getting out to one or both of those parks - with their top-hats, multiple inversions and BGCE's ridiculous stall they are well worth the trip!

I wasn't blown away by Black Mamba at all, although to be fair I only got on it once at the end of the day and that was after about 4 rides on Taron so maybe it just seemed a bit old school. I thought Nemesis had the better layout - and also took issue with the pitch-black brake run we seemed to be sat on for an age - but I do think I need to go back and ride again to make a proper assessment.

Colorado Adventure is a real wolf in sheep's clothing, so much fun, I think we did it several times that day, one of the best rides in the park. Just goes to show what's possible with a simple Vekoma Mine Train!

I did like FLY but I think I was possibly more won over by the cutting-edge tech and impressive theming of Rookburgh - which was brand new - than the actual ride itself. The whole queueing experience was also a bit tedious especially all the airport-security style checks and confusing batching.

Feng Ju Palace and Geister Rikscha are just so terrible we were laughing about them for days. Such a looong, boooring pre-show for FJP that made no sense, I would take Villa Volta's incomprehensible Dutch monologue any day of the week. GR is awful and politically insensitive - probably just needs to go, though I wouldn't mind going back for one final giggle before it's ripped out for good.

It's a pity you didn't find Wuzeball, not sure if it would have been open on the day you visited though.

It's a pity you didn't find Wuzeball, not sure if it would have been open on the day you visited though.
I don't think it would have been. I'm not sure that it has opened at all this year, it's been having a lot of problems and the park's as well as Intamin's engineers have been focussing on attempting to resolve the issues that Chiapas is having. I suspect Wuzeball is a write off for 2024, but we'll see.

My first visit I was underwhelmed by Taron, but since, it's risen into my S tier of coasters. Largely helped by front row night rides which is a fantastic experience. I can't recommend Wintertraum in January enough as it's a great time to visit the park and usually can get return flights for under £30 each.

And yeah the merch is awful at Phantasialand and always has been. It's a funny old place.
I say we all club together and approach them with an offer to take over their merch department! 😂

Fantastic trip report @BooMT, glad you had a good time 😊
Thank you @Skyscraper - was loads of fun! 😊

A shame that you didn't manage a ride on Chiapas, as it's great fun, but it seems to be having a tonne of issues at the moment.
Really kicking myself to be truthful. Again, tried to avoid the detail spoilers beforehand but watching a POV after our visit, had no idea about the indoor sections and overall ride experience! Due to the closures, it didn't open on the Saturday but did on the Sunday & we didn't want to leave for the airport soaked; if I'd known the full experience, perhaps it would have been worth the damp journey home 😂

I've since replaced it at the top with Toutatis at Parc Asterix and then Batman Gotham City Escape at Parque Warner - if you're a fan of Intamin LSMs I would highly recommend getting out to one or both of those parks - with their top-hats, multiple inversions and BGCE's ridiculous stall they are well worth the trip!
Both Toutatis and BGCE are high on my list! In fact, I toyed with Parque Warner for the family summer holiday solely for the latter but ended up deciding against as ops etc didn't sound great at PW; I'd rather not have to deal with that with the boys in tow 😂 So Gardaland/Movieland it is. Great to hear these two coasters are potential Taron trumpers - can't wait to get to Asterix in particular!

This comment sent me on a wild goose chase to try and find out what exactly Wuzeball is! Had no idea this existed... it's very closely guarded and not much info to be found at all 🤔 Why? 😂

I can't recommend Wintertraum in January enough as it's a great time to visit the park and usually can get return flights for under £30 each.
Great to hear more positives about Wintertraum. Looks so magical! Hoping to take my eldest for this seasons event if I can 😊🤞