• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Food & Beverage: Alternative Options

Roughly, Towers food went to "abysmal" generally, with minor pockets of "reasonable", but overpriced decency (currently Woodcutters and E Express), about two decades ago.
The queues for food on busier days also put us off.
We used to eat quite well at Towers using their food, we were forced into self supply when the food became third rate, at premium prices.
So two decades of express parking, no queues, quality picnics in good company, and real beer, in real glasses, for just over a quid a pint...
Compared to refusal of service for a bottle of brown ale for nearly a fiver because I had the indecency to try to use cash.
Express makes for quicker entry and exit to the park as well, an extra hour on the rides, and a handy dumping point for coats/bags etc.
People were slagging off Express parking in earlier posts - but for £12 (for me for 4 people so £3 each) it's a no brainer. You can take a cool box with you with a plentiful lunch from M&S, loads of ice cool drinks and chill in and around the car for half an hour or so and have snacks on the way home. Or you could eat a nearly inedible burger or hot dog for £40 for 4. Cost of picnic £20 or whatever for a great munch + 12 for parking still cheaper than a nasty meal. Plus you save over an hour of extra queuing at either end of the day!

People were slagging off Express parking in earlier posts - but for £12 (for me for 4 people so £3 each) it's a no brainer. You can take a cool box with you with a plentiful lunch from M&S, loads of ice cool drinks and chill in and around the car for half an hour or so and have snacks on the way home. Or you could eat a nearly inedible burger or hot dog for £40 for 4. Cost of picnic £20 or whatever for a great munch + 12 for parking still cheaper than a nasty meal. Plus you save over an hour of extra queuing at either end of the day!

Or you go out the Galactica gate into the normal car park and not pay for express.

Went to The Bull's Head in Alton village yesterday evening. It is under new management and only recently started serving food again (2 weeks ago)

Unfortunately the experience wasn't what it should have been. It took 35 minutes before anybody took our food order. We then waited another 50 minutes before the food came out.

The food itself was lovely and the staff were really nice, but the speed of service just wasn't acceptable. I hope it's just teething issues but I'm not in any hurry to return.
Tbf that still sounds better than woodcutters

Might be a walk to get in but if you plan properly you end up at Galactica gates for lunch time, nip out to the car and come back in.

I'm a Yorkshireman, paying when I don't have to hurts my soul.

Well, the irony is we went to The Bull's Head to escape bad service at Woodcutters 😂

Or you go out the Galactica gate into the normal car park and not pay for express.
If you can find your car and are happy to queue at the end of the day for over an hour to get out of those car parks and walk all the way from the Galactica entrance to your car and back to any other part of the park

I honestly can’t say I’ve ever waited over an hour or close to an hour to leave the standard car park and I usually visit at weekends and during school holidays. Maybe I’ve just been very lucky.

Last edited:
I honestly can’t say I’ve ever waited over an hour or close to an hour to leave the standard car park and I usually visit at weekends and during school holidays. Maybe I’ve just been very lucky.
Well I usually avoid it by going to the waterpark or RCR (rip off and close to inedible the time I tried that) the times I've not massive queues up to an hour after closing

Might be a walk to get in but if you plan properly you end up at Galactica gates for lunch time, nip out to the car and come back in.

I'm a Yorkshireman, paying when I don't have to hurts my soul.
No, if you plan properly, you have done that bit of the park in the first hour and then left it for the day, why be there when nemesis is shut, the whole area can be written off soon after opening.
The walk through that area back to the car park is far longer than the trip through the entrance to express.
My knees are not up to walking needlessly.
And I know what Yorkshire men are like...we are still waiting for shakeys round from opening weekend.
Sad to see the monorail closed again...that sort of proves my point.

Last edited:
A friend was in the ATH last night on business (conference there today). I warned them not to even risk the Secret Garden restaurant for dinner last night - they drove to nearby Ellastone and had an excellent meal in the Duncombe Arms. I highly recommend this dining pub if you want decent food near Alton Towers.

I've asked him to give me his views on the Aramark breakfast offer - will report back when he gets back to me.

The Duncombe Arms is indeed excellent! Far better than anything Alton Towers are likely to slap on your plate.

It’s not quite the same sort of thing, but the Table Table at the Premier Inn Uttoxeter was also very nice the other night, and only about 10-15 minutes from Alton Towers!

The Premier Inn in Uttoxeter is also a hotel option I’d thoroughly recommend. It’s nice, the restaurant’s nice, it’s reasonably priced, and there’s also a mini service station (of sorts) with a couple of food shops located next to it so that you can buy packed lunch for your second day in the park!

Me and my partner went to The Star At Cotton last october when we did our annual alton towers trip. It's about a five minute drive from Alton Towers, although me and my partner walked from the local campsite. Wasn't cheap (I'd compare it to London prices honestly, 16-29 for the mains) but the food was absolutely incredible, atmosphere was so warm and cozy and the staff were great too. Sometimes we joke about going back to Alton just to eat there again!

Can absolutely vouch for the bridge pub and hotel.

Home cooked proper pub food that’s always been really good whenever I’ve been.

Some great bits at Denstone farm shop too.

Theres some great places in and around the Staffordshire moorlands to eat, great coffee places. Especially if you’re willing to travel to leek or uttoxeter

It’s a pity the Blacksmiths arms has closed (over a year ago). That was great for food after being in the park.

Another option is the Raddle Inn which is through some lanes and has self catering log cabins on site too. Probably 10 mins from the park.

Etiquette-wise, what’s the consensus on eating butties in ride queues?

Last week was my first visit for about 8 years and the first since having kids. Back in the day, I’d happily take the time for some food from one of the outlets, but with kids it felt like a constant race against the clock, so we decided to chow down in the queue.

Admittedly it seems pretty common amongst families as probably 40% of the 11.30ish queue for Octonauts were having butties and more.

Just wondering what folk thought of it.

Also big up Towers Street for not deleting my account after many years of inactivity!

Last week was my first visit for about 8 years and the first since having kids. Back in the day, I’d happily take the time for some food from one of the outlets, but with kids it felt like a constant race against the clock, so we decided to chow down in the queue.

Admittedly it seems pretty common amongst families as probably 40% of the 11.30ish queue for Octonauts were having butties and more.

Also big up Towers Street for not deleting my account after many years of inactivity!
You are probably better eating in the queues to save time to be fair!

Did it with my family back in 1994 to save time and money. Although we got hungry late afternoon and got burgers from the large burger place next to Toyland Tours.