• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Forum 'special events' programme

Sam

TS Member
Hey!

Firstly, sorry for that rubbish topic title. I really couldn't think of any better way of putting it.

What this is about is special decorations for the forum at certain times of the year, celebrating special events, people or days. Also, 'one-off' events such as new ride openings and the Olympics.

Like Google does with its 'Google Doodles', I think it's a really cool idea to decorate the site differently as often as possible. It helps keep the site feeling fresh, updated and fun.

I know TTF used to do this for Easter, Halloween and Christmas, as well as a few others, such as the countdown to the opening of Sub-Terra. That was all awesome, but I hope we see a lot more of it on the new site.

It doesn't have to be huge - some things like Halloween probably deserve a full-scale redecoration, but smaller things might just deserve a bit of text next to the logo for that day, where it currently says "Congratulations to Adam..."

I was hoping that the forum community might help contribute to a calendar of ideas for this sort of thing, which the team can use if they so wish. Post your suggestions below, and I'll add them onto the calendar for team consideration!

• January 1st - New Year's Day
  • February - LGBT History Month (maybe a subtle rainbow somewhere, since we have so many LGBT members?)
  • February 10th (just 2013) - Chinese New Year
  • March 14th - Oblivion opening date
  • March 16th - Nemesis/Air opening date
  • March 20th - Th13teen opening date
  • March 27th - Spinball opening date
  • April - Easter
  • April 1st - Rita opening date
  • April 4th - Alton Towers opening date
  • October 12th - Roland Mack's birthday
  • June 11th - TowersStreet opening date!
  • June 15th - Edvard Grieg's birthday
  • July 8th - Anton Schwarzkopf's birthday
  • July 27th-12th August (just this year) - London 2012 Olympics
  • August 18/19/20 (just this year) - Happy Eid!
  • August 22nd - Werner Stengel's birthday
  • October/November - Halloween/Scarefest
  • November 9th - Last day of the Corkscrew
  • November 12th-16th (just this year) - IAAPA
  • December - Christmas
  • December 5th - Walt Disney's birthday
  • December 8th-16th (just this year) - Happy Hanukkah!
  • December 31st - New Year's Eve

Got any ideas to add? I tried to find out John Wardley's birthday, but it is nowhere to be found! Maybe the community could use the talents of the other finalists in the logo competition to create special graphics throughout the year! :)

Thoughts?

Brilliant Suggestions Sam, you've come up with some really interesting ones! :)

Just a question about the ride dates, will it be celebrating the rides birthday (Such as on 14th March it says "happy Birthday Oblivion!") or just like a Oblivion themed front page

I'd also suggest 24th November - My Birthday John Wardley's Birthday, but I'm not sure when it is

I really like these ideas and equally think they should be implemented. Nothing massive or elaborate, just a small tribute to theme parks, the figures and seasonal event-type things. Would love to see a little fact page pop up about, say, Werner Stengel or Walt Disney citing their contributions to the world and particularly those towards Alton Towers.

I swear it said the 13th. Maybe I need my eyes testing. :p
Plus the article sounds like it was written by an enthusiast. :p

Eddie said:
Jonathan said:
Apparently, John Wardley's birthday is the 13th of February.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wardley
Whether this is true or not, I have no idea. :p

Just checked that and it says 30th of February

Seems Legit...:p

...looks like some enthusiast has had a bit too much to drink and came up with a ingenious idea on chat. Or maybe the 30th of Feb was made just for Wardley. On the 30th day, LET THERE BE WARDLEY. He's the Chuck Norris of the theme park industry, he just does the impossible without question, and it works. To my knowledge before it wasn't even hinted at.

Who's up for for a meet on Wardley Day then, eh?

Stelios said:
He's the Chuck Norris of the theme park industry, he just does the impossible without question, and it works. To my knowledge before it wasn't even hinted at.

Who's up for for a meet on Wardley Day then, eh?

Didn't you know that he bent the tracks of Nemesis and Oblivion with his bare hands, like playdough, and consequentially used them as bicep weights? The stuff of legends... Though I revel in amusement at the meet idea on the 30th February :p Since, y'know, such a day exists.

Cheers - eerily close to Halloween that, I was going to suggest an image representing an exorcism as well.

I like the idea, obviously we have to cement a (I HATE THIS TERM) "brand" for a while but with enough support it's certainly something to think about once work on the main site is mostly complete.

Would be fun :)

If keeping the identity of the forum steady for a while is the order of the day then,
how about having them in the ticker thing. like oblivion is X years old today, and maybe a news article to back it up with its history and some stats and fun facts.

then one the forum identity is strong. then move on to special theme days.

Just an idea to throw into the mix, any thoughts.

delta79 said:
If keeping the identity of the forum steady for a while is the order of the day then,
how about having them in the ticker thing. like oblivion is X years old today, and maybe a news article to back it up with its history and some stats and fun facts.

then one the forum identity is strong. then move on to special theme days.

Just an idea to throw into the mix, any thoughts.

One issue is identity but thats not the primary one as some subtle decoration wouldn't unduly affect that. The main issue is just that there are so many other things to do and its busy, busy, busy at the moment with stuff for the new site. Poor Joel is coding like a mad man.

:)