• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

GCI's wooden shuttle coaster

Sam

TS Member
Spotted by Lofty on CF.

Great Coasters International have posted this to their official YouTube account.

Back Track Family Shuttle Coaster

It looks... different. Kinda fun. Clearly a family coaster. Actually it looks like a wooden version of Ben 10!

Although I'm a massive fan of GCI, one of my slight gripes was their apparent lack of innovation and boundary pushing compared to likes of Gravity Group in recent years. They've always struck me as the B&M of the wooden coaster world with GG being more like Intamin. I don't know what that makes Intamin wooden coasters but that's not the point.

In any case this concept has pretty much dispelled that idea. I can't see wooden coaster purists liking it at all but I think it's a brilliant idea. It reminds me a lot of the early switchback railways but with a thoroughly modern twist. GCIs are already great value for money but this makes them even more accessible to parks that couldn't normally afford one and it allows you to experience a GCI forwards and backwards.

Hopefully this won't be another Big Fun and they will actually sell some of these.

Shame about the uninspiring layout. I doubt there'd be much airtime to be had on one but the concept is still great.

I found some images of a model of the GCI Back Track concept on http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.co.uk/ which were taken at the recent IAAPA convention:

NPNIAAPA+(7).JPG

NPNIAAPA+(8).JPG

The site also said that the ride will reach speeds of 32mph and should be capable of getting through between 400 and 500 guests per hour, so I should think that one of these will be dirt-cheap, much like the Big Fun coaster.