• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Germany Trip - June 2013

LiamC

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Hex
Hello helpful people, I'm looking for some advice! Me and the girlfriend are looking at going to Germany next June/July time and taking in both Phantasialand and Europa Park. I've read through the EP planning topic a few times and seem confident with that area of the trip, however, I'd really like some help with the Phantasialand side of our proposed trip.

Specifically getting to the park from Cologne airport, once on park and then getting from Phantasialand down to Rust for EP via train. What is it like getting from Cologne Airport to PL? How much are Taxis? Is there a shuttle bus? Also, some advice on PL accommodation would help a lot! What, in peoples opinions, is the best of their two hotels and which is cheapest? Ling Bao or Matamba?

Next, what is the easiest way to get from PL to EP via train? Roughly how much are tickets? How long does it take/how many changes?

A lot of questions, but I know there are a lot of seasoned Europe travellers on here! Any help would be much appreciated ;D ;D ;D

Travel from Cologne Airport to Phantasialand is very easy. Basically, a local train into Cologne from the airport, and then another local train to Bruhl. You can buy a ticket on the day from the machines at the airport station. There is then a Phantasialand Shuttle from Bruhl station to the park! Which, if i remember rightly, is free? Or possibly charged in one direction but not in another.

The cheaper hotel is Matamba - and the rooms in Matamba are my favourite resort hotel rooms of any I have ever stayed. It's stunning. Opt for a park view room for a small extra charge, and you'll have a rollercoaster just outside your window! Awesome! Ling Bao is better for the bar, although both hotels tend to die at night... never really sure why.

For travel from PL to EP - check www.bahn.co.uk. You can also call the UK Booking Centre for Deutsch Bahn on 08718 80 80 66. They are London based and can help with all Germany rail travel. They're really knowledgeable and helpful! You'll need to travel from Brühl to Ringsheim (make sure you put the umlaut (dots) over the U or it won't recognise it). From Ringsheim, there are timed shuttles to EP Hotel Resort and EP Main Entrance which takes 5-10 minutes. In terms of changes... it depends. The journey from PL to EPcosts from €30 and up to €70 on some trains, if booked in advance with selected trains and takes just over 4 hours.

You may even strike it lucky with a direct train from Cologne to Offenburg but it's unlikely!

:D

I can't thank you enough for that post Dan, you've practically just planned the first leg of my holiday for me! Thank you so so so so much for that info, helped a great deal! I'll pass this info on to the missus and see what she thinks :)

One final question...travel from EP to Basel airport, is this fairly straightforward?

God, I'm so excited and it's so far off ;D

LiamC said:
I can't thank you enough for that post Dan, you've practically just planned the first leg of my holiday for me! Thank you so so so so much for that info, helped a great deal! I'll pass this info on to the missus and see what she thinks :)

One final question...travel from EP to Basel airport, is this fairly straightforward?

EP to Basel is easy, but expensive. The best thing to do is book a private shuttle:

http://www.stiefvater-reisen.de/europapark-shuttle

This costs €99 however, for up to 4 adults travelling together.

A bus to Ringsheim, then train from Ringsheim to Basel - and then a bus from Basel to the airport is another option, and would be cheaper - although it would take considerably longer.

AstroDan said:
LiamC said:

EP to Basel is easy, but expensive. The best thing to do is book a private shuttle:

http://www.stiefvater-reisen.de/europapark-shuttle

This costs €99 however, for up to 4 adults travelling together.

A bus to Ringsheim, then train from Ringsheim to Basel - and then a bus from Basel to the airport is another option, and would be cheaper - although it would take considerably longer.

We're looking at getting a late flight back, so the bus/train/bus option would probably be the one we could do as time wouldn't be a factor if we check out early!

Once again, thanks so much :)